Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match (Read 19572 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match

Reply #165
I said it was hard....not impossible.

My issue with your argument is that almost none of it factors in how Bolton was going as a coach.
Almost everything points to past wrongs by the club.....which i agree with....but that does not make Bolton immune from the blow torch.

It is not either/or, it can be both.....and it was.

You can take the best operators, proven performers in other organisations (Pagan, Malthouse), stick them in a dysfunctional joint, and they will struggle, as history proves. If you don't have professionalism around you, if you're not united from top to bottom, if the people at the top just don't get it, then you will never get to where you want to go. The coach can only be as good as they're allowed to be. They are not the top dog - heck, they're not even top dog in their own department.

Bloody hell, Worsfold spelled it out as plain as day in the post match after the Bombers game, and our craven mob still didn't get it.

Reply #166
You can take the best operators, proven performers in other organisations (Pagan, Malthouse), stick them in a dysfunctional joint, and they will struggle, as history proves. If you don't have professionalism around you, if you're not united from top to bottom, if the people at the top just don't get it, then you will never get to where you want to go. The coach can only be as good as they're allowed to be. They are not the top dog - heck, they're not even top dog in their own department.

Bloody hell, Worsfold spelled it out as plain as day in the post match after the Bombers game, and our craven mob still didn't get it.

...again....that doesn't mean Bolton is a good coach and one we should have kept. That just means others probably would've failed too.

I'm not arguing that point. I acknowledge it and have championed it for over a decade myself.
You are refusing to even acknowledge that perhaps some of the blame sits with him too.

Reply #167
I said it was hard....not impossible.

My issue with your argument is that almost none of it factors in how Bolton was going as a coach.
Almost everything points to past wrongs by the club.....which i agree with....but that does not make Bolton immune from the blow torch.

It is not either/or, it can be both.....and it was.
Bolton coached within the guidelines and parameters set by those above him and in accordance with a complete list rebuild. All of a sudden, the goal posts and KPIs changed and he was a dead man walking. The spectre of senior coaches being available also loomed over the top and played a part in his demise/dismissal, just as the spectre of Malthouse loomed over Ratts. As many have said time and time again, "rinse and repeat". It should be our slogan as its the only mantra our club truly lives by (without fail).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #168
You'd would have said the same about Bolton, players moved on immediately, always have, always will.

Point i am trying to make is this.

Results over 1 year can vary wildly depending on many things, including plain dumb luck. (Look at Brittain, and the year Ratten got sacked)
Results over many years tell a much better story.

A player both at Carlton, and looking in at Carlton see us sacking Bolton after years of failure and think, ok, well he probably had it coming, but they gave him a fair crack. There was no knee-jerk reaction.

A player both at Carlton, and looking in at Carlton see us sacking Teague 1 year after we appointed him after sacking Bolton and see a basketcase or was quick to pull the trigger and thus would be quick to do it again in the future.  (Ala Tigers prior to Hardwick).
Constant 'resetting' or rebuilding. Better to jump NOW.

1 year tells you nothing......unless you sack the coach....and then it tells you too much.

Reply #169
...again....that doesn't mean Bolton is a good coach and one we should have kept. That just means others probably would've failed too.

I'm not arguing that point. I acknowledge it and have championed it for over a decade myself.
You are refusing to even acknowledge that perhaps some of the blame sits with him too.

Given our track record since Brittain, logic would dictate that any blame must lie overwhelmingly with the club.

Reply #170
Point i am trying to make is this.

Results over 1 year can vary wildly depending on many things, including plain dumb luck. (Look at Brittain, and the year Ratten got sacked)
Results over many years tell a much better story.

A player both at Carlton, and looking in at Carlton see us sacking Bolton after years of failure and think, ok, well he probably had it coming, but they gave him a fair crack. There was no knee-jerk reaction.

A player both at Carlton, and looking in at Carlton see us sacking Teague 1 year after we appointed him after sacking Bolton and see a basketcase or was quick to pull the trigger and thus would be quick to do it again in the future.  (Ala Tigers prior to Hardwick).
Constant 'resetting' or rebuilding. Better to jump NOW.

1 year tells you nothing......unless you sack the coach....and then it tells you too much.
Im tipping a player looking in at Carlton would have said "yep they've done it again, sacked another coach".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #171
Given our track record since Brittain, logic would dictate that any blame must lie overwhelmingly with the club.

Are you reading what i am writing?

I've taken issue with the club on this for over a decade. That goes without saying that we have issues at the club.

This does NOT mean Bolton is a supercoach who would win a flag at any other club.......or even a 'good' coach at all.

His W/L record is the worst from a coach who has coached 80 games, for 100 years! There is only 1 worse than him, and he coached his last game in 1920.

No previous coach at Carlton has been that bad, not even during our post salary cap slump. So club issues aside, comparing him with others its just embarrassing.
Even Guy McKenna has a better coaching record than him and Gold Coast are far worse off than us, both off-field and talent wise.

Reply #172
Im tipping a player looking in at Carlton would have said "yep they've done it again, sacked another coach".

Followed by, "why would anyone want to play at that basketcase of a club?"

Reply #173
Are you reading what i am writing?

I've taken issue with the club on this for over a decade. That goes without saying that we have issues at the club.

This does NOT mean Bolton is a supercoach who would win a flag at any other club.......or even a 'good' coach at all.

His W/L record is the worst from a coach who has coached 80 games, for 100 years! There is only 1 worse than him, and he coached his last game in 1920.

No previous coach at Carlton has been that bad, not even during our post salary cap slump. So club issues aside, comparing him with others its just embarrassing.
Even Guy McKenna has a better coaching record than him and Gold Coast are far worse off than us, both off-field and talent wise.

I'm perfectly aware of his record, having seen it printed on here 18,000 times. Looking at who has the worst record, second worst, third worst is irrelevant in the context of this discussion. If you showed a person the records of all our post-Brittain coaches and nothing else, the logical conclusion would be that they were all sh1t coaches. And before you complain about me not focussing on Bolton's qualities as a coach, him not being tested at other clubs etc., the circumstantial evidence to compare him favourably with other failed coaches, is in my view, overwhelming.

Reply #174
delete

Reply #175
I'm perfectly aware of his record, having seen it printed on here 18,000 times. Looking at who has the worst record, second worst, third worst is irrelevant in the context of this discussion. If you showed a person the records of all our post-Brittain coaches and nothing else, the logical conclusion would be that they were all sh1t coaches. And before you complain about me not focussing on Bolton's qualities as a coach, him not being tested at other clubs etc., the circumstantial evidence to compare him favourably with other failed coaches, is in my view, overwhelming.

Compared to Ratten? I don't think so.

Compared to 2 ageing coaches who retired after we ruined them? Thats up for debate.

You love Bolts, we all know that.

I said the moment he was sacked that he will get another coaching gig, at least as an assistant, and was laughed at. Didn't take long did it.

That being said, you simply can NOT ignore his record. You can't.
You can say his record would not have been that bad had he not been at Carlton, and you would find people who agree with you.

But if you think Bolton is blameless in his time at Carlton you are extremely naive.....or Bolton is.
Here is where you say he was just doing as he was told...
Here is the part i say that if he failed to realise that the odd win was important for his team and his career then he is simply not cut out for AFL football.

Whether he was incapable of getting wins, or he thought his job did not require them, then either way he was not up to being an elite AFL coach.

Reply #176
Yes, I definitely liked Bolton, much as I liked Ratten. I wasn't so keen about Mick or Pagan, but my personal feelings about any of them are irrelevant. It has nothing to do with ignoring his record, and everything to do with seeing a very clear and troubling pattern of behaviour over 20 years. and seeing all those coaching records in a proper context. If it was only him that sucked, I would be fine with it.

Reply #177
Yes, I definitely liked Bolton, much as I liked Ratten. I wasn't so keen about Mick or Pagan, but my personal feelings about any of them are irrelevant. It has nothing to do with ignoring his record, and everything to do with seeing a very clear and troubling pattern of behaviour over 20 years. and seeing all those coaching records in a proper context. If it was only him that sucked, I would be fine with it.

There are degrees of 'sucking' and he sucked more than anyone else. Ignore that at your own peril.

Reply #178
We didn't ruin Malthouse,  he was a shot duck before we hired him.   Burned out,  finished,  whatever,  he was cooked and never committed to the task.   Seriously,  instead of assessing the list etc  he went on a book promotional tour.   Wasted years.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #179
There are degrees of 'sucking' and he sucked more than anyone else. Ignore that at your own peril.

Given the power structures, lines of reporting, club direction, decision making etc., you cannot view a coach's record in isolation, nor as a sole indicator of ability.