Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match (Read 19010 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match

Reply #195
Malthouse may have been a good coach, but he was cooked and only took the job with us to give the finger to Eddie.   Started off by disenfranchising the players.  For a supposed supercoach that's straight out stupid.   I'm not saying the list was good,  but if you lose them before you start they are never going to perform

I respectfully disagree. He was and is a good coach IMO. I find it rather amusing that only our players crack the sads - the Pies players, Eagles etc. all happy to play under him, but not us.

I've not met one single person who thinks his career or reputation is any way diminished as a result of his time at Carlton. Not one.

He's grumpy, curmudgeonly and combative, and given his record with us, is therefore easy to dislike. Not surprising that becomes an easy target for disillusioned, pitchfork wielding Blues supporters, looking for someone to blame, and yet again, not seeing the forest for the trees.

Reply #196
I respectfully disagree. He was and is a good coach IMO.
I can't agree with you on this one PaulP.

I've stated consistently since before MM arrived, he was cooked, a known known operating to formula that was already redundant. His old autocratic ways are seriously incapable of matching a collaborative inclusive approach to coaching. No matter how good someone is, one mind doesn't defeat the many! He'd be even worse now in the runner restriction environment, because by the time he hands out another boundary line roast it's all too late!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #197
I can't agree with you on this one PaulP.

I've stated consistently since before MM arrived, he was cooked, a known known operating to formula that was already redundant. His old autocratic ways are seriously incapable of matching a collaborative inclusive approach to coaching. No matter how good someone is, one mind doesn't defeat the many! He'd be even worse now in the runner restriction environment, because by the time he hands out another boundary line roast it's all too late!

If this is true, I can only assume that things change incredibly quickly in AFL football, like overnight quickly. He was hero in 2011, then zero from 2013 onwards ? Think back over history and tell me how many coaches have fallen off the perch so rapidly, and see if you can do it without mentioning the word "Carlton."

Reply #198
If this is true, I can only assume that things change incredibly quickly in AFL football, like overnight quickly. He was hero in 2011, then zero from 2013 onwards ? Think back over history and tell me how many coaches have fallen off the perch so rapidly, and see if you can do it without mentioning the word "Carlton."
Things do change quickly PaulP, all it takes sometimes is a little success or profit and the tide changes, the rapid expansion of the coaching panels has already been identified as a problem in this regard, which is why the AFL introduced the soft cap.

Another example, have a look at how quickly four on the bench and rotations changed football, in the space of two seasons we were all watching a different sport!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #199
Somewhat like Pagan, MM arrived (courtesy of his CEO buddy) and found himself in the middle of a mess. Very ordinary list (to be generous), divided Board, cr@p recruiting and development and his CEO mate on thin ice. Although his motives for taking the gig would be questionable (prove something to others) I'm sure that when he found himself in the rooms with the players all that was forgotten and he found what was needed for the players. Testament to his relationship with the players was how much most liked him. There were a few sooks who didn't like his ways but you always get them, with anyone.

Like many, I didn't like his crotchety attitude to the media but with MM it really is a big dose of 'love me love my dog.' I actually see MMs failure as a whole club failure, in many ways on many levels.

The Trigg/MLG/Liddle era has at least united the good ship PP on an agreed course. If that course is indeed correct, we should start reaping obvious benefits, on field, very soon... he writes, fingers crossed, staring at the heavens...

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #200

The Trigg/MLG/Liddle era has at least united the good ship PP on an agreed course.

Really? Many would beg to differ, SOS and Bolts to name few. "But they're gone now, aint nuttin you can do about that". To me? nothing has changed from a playing list output. CEO's and Coaches have changed and we are still losing more than we win. I say again, I know it was only a praccy match v Bris but its the way we lost (rinse repeat). The signs were telling. Happy to be proven wrong, dont think I will be.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #201
Really? Many would beg to differ, SOS and Bolts to name few. "But they're gone now, aint nuttin you can do about that". To me? nothing has changed from a playing list output. CEO's and Coaches have changed and we are still losing more than we win. I say again, I know it was only a praccy match v Bris but its the way we lost (rinse repeat). The signs were telling. Happy to be proven wrong, dont think I will be.

Yes "inputs" continue to be meddled with but no evidence as yet as to improved "outcomes"........
Reality always wins in the end.