Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 18000 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Sat 31st March at 1345 at Etihad.
After last night there will be some expectation on us to do well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #1
Richmond are the best pressure side in the comp so it will be interesting to see how we move the ball with what I'm assuming/hoping will be less pressure.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Richmond are the best pressure side in the comp so it will be interesting to see how we move the ball with what I'm assuming/hoping will be less pressure.
+1 but we could be flat as a tack next week as last night's game would have left a few of our boys sore and a bit down on confidence.

I think next week is a real danger game for us in terms of not really knowing what to expect from Gold Coast.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Every game is a danger game, wouldn't you say Thry old son ?

Reply #4
Hopefully our fans turn up next week, last night was embarrassing. Outnumbered 3 to 1.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
Every game is a danger game, wouldn't you say Thry old son ?

Not for us.  This is one we should win hence why it's a danger game.

Last night was a danger game for Richmond.

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Not for us.  This is one we should win hence why it's a danger game.

Last night was a danger game for Richmond.

Bolton talks about a performance mindset, and talks about dangerous thoughts that can adversely affect a performance mindset - the concept of a danger game falls into this category IMO.

GC are a big unknown for mine. On paper they have a handy list, and there could be a honeymoon period with the new coach. I'm tipping us solely for the fact that it's at Etihad.

Reply #7
but we could be flat as a tack next week as last night's game would have left a few of our boys sore and a bit down on confidence.

9 day break is gold. First round soreness is probably the worst and we have two extra days over the opposition...who will be flying interstate this week AND to us next week.  

Reply #8
GC are not a team to be underestimated. Dew will have them fired up for sure but if we keep focused we should beat them imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Would much rather be playing them in 5 or 6 weeks after they have travelled repeatedly... Kruezer would be a massive out... and they have shown a bit pre-season.

50/50.

Reply #10
Bolton talks about a performance mindset, and talks about dangerous thoughts that can adversely affect a performance mindset - the concept of a danger game falls into this category IMO.

GC are a big unknown for mine. On paper they have a handy list, and there could be a honeymoon period with the new coach. I'm tipping us solely for the fact that it's at Etihad.

That's true Paulp.   No sporting organisation can afford to think about games not being losable.  Actually they shouldn't be thinking about the result at all.

A coach once told me that the ladder is simply where you end up relative to the rest of the competition and the ladder will look after itself provided you focus on the next contest (note not even match,  but contest).  You win more contests than your opponent, you win more games.  The more games you win the better chance of finishing higher you have.  If you don't win a contest the best way to make up for it is win the next contest.  The point being that if you contest wisely you will win mire of them and win mire games.  He then steered this onto tactics stating that contests are important to win in critical areas.  You can lose the battle but win the war.  Then put that in context of types of play and game situation.

Moral of the story is, focus on what you have to do next, otherwise you lose sight of the now. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
That's true Paulp.   No sporting organisation can afford to think about games not being losable.  Actually they shouldn't be thinking about the result at all.

A coach once told me that the ladder is simply where you end up relative to the rest of the competition and the ladder will look after itself provided you focus on the next contest (note not even match,  but contest).  You win more contests than your opponent, you win more games.  The more games you win the better chance of finishing higher you have.  If you don't win a contest the best way to make up for it is win the next contest.  The point being that if you contest wisely you will win mire of them and win mire games.  He then steered this onto tactics stating that contests are important to win in critical areas.  You can lose the battle but win the war.  Then put that in context of types of play and game situation.

Moral of the story is, focus on what you have to do next, otherwise you lose sight of the now.

I guess my point was this : if one starts with the concept that there exists such a thing as a danger game, then simple logic dictates that there also exist games that are not danger games. And the minute you think that, you drop your guard, however slightly, and that's not a good performance mindset. I think that's what Bolts was getting at, and I agree. Which is why I stated that IMO, every match is a danger game.

Reply #12
We're at the stage now that we need to win these types of games. Good performances and very honorable losses to the premiers are great but mean nothing if we lose to the Gold Coast at home. Not sure about changes yet. look at that as the week goes on.

Reply #13
I'll be shocked if Kreuzer plays, he grabbed at his groin repeatedly after he hurt it, tried to contest the next ruck contest, grabbed it again and then limped off. He tried to come back on in the last quarter but was clearly hampered. Kennedy was hard to tell, when he first did it I thought he might have hurt his achilles, he just pulled like he'd been shot after kicking the ball, but then he limped off, so can't be achilles. If he's damaged ligaments I hope they give him a week or two to get it right rather than rush him back, inject it and keep making it worse or not allowing it to heal properly. We need both of these guys badly, but not just for round 2

Reply #14
I've never been a fan of playing half fit players. As a result, I would not be selecting either Kreuzer or Kennedy.
That means at least 2 'ins'.

Lobbe is probably one more week away. He didn't play against Richmond (2nds), although he was there. He'll be right to play by round #3, but he is very doubtful for the Suns.
Phillips started quite well against Richmond (2nds), but he ran out of gas in the 3rd quarter. Soldo took over in the ruck and made the most of his opportunities. I would prefer to have Phillips play at least 2 more games in the VF before considering him for senior selection.
De Koning did OK, especially as the game wore on. His general level of athleticism and his spring at the centre bounces were obvious and appreciated. Around the ground Soldo out-bodied him: he has a 4 year head start of de Koning. De Koning also so some very nice marks late in the game and has a quite decent left foot. I that he was quite similar to Harry McKay: at one point he gathered the ball and went for a gallop, but got run down because he didn't have the game awareness yet.

These are our ruck options. I can't see any of them being cherry ripe for next week, even with a 9 day break. Certainly, Lobbe and Phillips will be in the picture, but I would give them time. Otherwise we may well ruin them.

Of the not quite ruckmen, we do have a few options:
Harry McKay is the 1st who comes to mind. He is not a ruckman at this time, but has the tools to do the job in short spells. He might get done in the centre square, which would put us at a severe disadvantage, but not as much as when Gorringe was there last year.
A reasonable option is playing Harry forward and rucking Casboult.          
Something of a forgotten player is Sam Rowe. He is set for his return to playing next weekend. He can do the ruck job and can play key forward or key defence. I don't think he is ready yet, but he remains an option and a long way from the worst one.
Even Patrick Kerr can play ruck, as he has a good spring. Not my first choice but it depends on who is fit enough to play.                                                          
Live Long and Prosper!