Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36197 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #30
I disagree that Ablett 'killed us'. Many of his possessions were cheap handball receives at the back of the mark, and 1-2 combos, the only impact of which were to inflate his possession count.

exactly - he stands out the back and demands the ball. i reckon 20+ of his stats were gained in this manner....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #31
A very young and inexperienced side tonight. Alot is resting on our few senior players now to drag the newbies along. Fighting back a bit in the last was the best sign. It showed some steel and persistence. Add in the high tackle count and it demonstrates that they are getting the message.

Lynch put on a clinic. He and wright make a pretty dominant old fashioned forward line that is hard to stop when the ball is getting thumped down there with little pressure.

Our forward line remains a shambles, mostly due to a lack of work rate. Casboult just doesnt move enough, preferring to wrestle. He looks more capable when up the ground, but we know what he is and he isnt going to improve.  Pickett did some nice things but needs to convert to make the most of few opportunities. Our kicking generally was poor and it is shown up on a fast dry track like docklands.

Murphy, docherty our best, with gibbs putting in. We fell away in the middle badly after that. Well done to silvagni for a four quarter game.

Umpiring has become confusing this year. Holding the ball, that bane of many a fan is more baffling than ever. The propensity to tap the ball on has also made throwing even more endemic.

Long season...

Reply #32
our forward line fails when our midfield fails.

We needed to pick up a mature mid in the off season. They didn't arguably because of the bigger fish in the Club's sights for 2018.

Cripps was wounded, Gibbs was back to his lazy ways....

Daisy was booed during the player intros, copped flak during the game from our supporters and even on the way home on the train the talk wasnt about Zac Fisher's goal or nice debut it was all about Daisy and what a waste of time he is....

I never condone booing, even opposition players, but Daisy Thomas is COOKED. GONE. FINISHED. We'd get better value out of playing another kid or even playing Graham to see if he can cut it, or Jaksch as a last chance.

Daisy gives us nothing other than cheap turnovers. Not doubting hi endeavour, he's just cooked.

He should not get picked again imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
But Fly, people want him picked for the outstanding leadership he apparently offers...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Daisy, Kerridge, Palmer, Graham, Army - take your pick.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Polson, Sheehan, Jones (at least he can play a role).
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #36
Daisy was booed during the player intros, copped flak during the game from our supporters and even on the way home on the train the talk wasnt about Zac Fisher's goal or nice debut it was all about Daisy and what a waste of time he is....

Getting booed is BS, especially your own. You can't blame the opposition supporters for it, as its Gold Coast and they have none.
People should be ashamed of that.

One thing these same people probably failed to see was what happened during the run through.
There were 2 young girls who were the mascots for the game. Ran through the banner and did some running around and warmups with the boys. Almost all of them ignored the girls. Daisy went to them and was talking to them about how to stretch and what not.

Now none of that means squat once the ball is bounced, but those girls will remember that for the rest of their lives and will be forever grateful to Daisy for it.
However, things like that go a large way to fixing the culture at Carlton and are in line with what Bolton has been preaching within The Journey.

Now i don't know if anyone else noticed that, or if anyone else cared.
But that is the guy people are booing.  :-[

Reply #37
But Fly, people want him picked for the outstanding leadership he apparently offers...

What people want is irrelevant.

Bolton and co are the ones doing the picking. Why do you think that is?

Reply #38
our forward line fails when our midfield fails.

We needed to pick up a mature mid in the off season. They didn't arguably because of the bigger fish in the Club's sights for 2018.

Palmer not mature enough?

Perhaps we SHOULD have gone after Barlow.....oh but he got injured, again. Dodged a bullet there.

Reply #39
I can't remember any AFL team booing their own player, shameful.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
Polson, Sheehan, Jones (at least he can play a role).

Apparently Sheehan limped off during the NB game. I didn't see it myself but my mate said he didn't look good.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Got back from the game and  there was a clear difference in the level of skill and pace between both teams....GC are probably the quickest team in the comp and after half time we didnt have the wheels to go with some of their players. Early we matched them, tackled hard and made the game a series of contests which suits our style but once we tired their pace and our poor kicking skills provided then with plenty of rebound opportunities and they hurt us on the rebound badly.
Didnt think their centre square setup did the damage it was their ball carriers off half back charging away and  creating the overlap and in the end they were just burning our blokes off..
Lynch got a lot of his marks through getting the initial break on his opponents and Rowe was a victim of that in the main...our man likes to push and shove but Lynch always had him losing front position and losing contact so his famous spoiling was a non event
Plowman and Marchbank were not big enough to play on either Lynch or Wright and with GC's quick ball movement it was always one on one contests which didnt allow for help defense...
Our midfield was down, Kruezer was ok without being great and apart from Docherty the defense struggled....up forward we were also poor, Casboult and Silvagni got some late junk time goals but I wasnt that impressed with their games.

Weitering down forward may need reviewing, played on May who looked unusually meek and mild but still struggled to get to contests....
Charlie Curnow..wasnt impressed apart from some good marks, lazy at picking up his man, not keen on too much running and when he does make the effort gets in the wrong places or is too late to the contest or offering a lead....either is too slow to pick up opponents or doesnt want to..

Fisher and Williamson give hope...both use the ball well and look at home playing seniors..Samo and Pickett have skill but not the composure yet...

Marchbank...great mark. nice kicking style but overcooks most kicks....and is a turnover merchant
Plowman...great defender but well beat tonight and his kicking was ordinary..

Port are similar to GC so I hope we have learned something and give a better account of ourselves next game....

How many games do you think they'll win this year EB?

This time last year people were talking about top 4 and they appear to be back to that level.

I think, at their best, they are just about as good as anyone but they're as flaky as crap.

PS, Abblett is a parasite on and off the field. King of the cheapie and completely selfish.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #43
How many games do you think they'll win this year EB?

This time last year people were talking about top 4 and they appear to be back to that level.

I think, at their best, they are just about as good as anyone but they're as flaky as crap.

PS, Abblett is a parasite on and off the field. King of the cheapie and completely selfish.

Back from the dead CIMM - been busy ?

Reply #44
Back from the dead CIMM - been busy ?

Could say that and I'm having a holiday of sorts ATM .????
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................