Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 15637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #150
I always thought the biggest mistake that was made with Gibbs was attempting to force him to be a midfielder. He played some of his best footy as a defender, when he had a set task. The best midfielders tend to have a creative streak, with a mongrel determination.
@Baggers‍ - I tend to agree, Gibbs played his best football off the HBF flank when he could watch the football coming to him and read the flight, he'd dispose of opponents early and then use the footy very very well on the rebound. Something many of our fans do not give him credit for, much like they failed to credit Houlihan for his ball use.

I also agree with @ElwoodBlues1‍ the Crows made a huge mistake trying to play him in the midfield and on the wing, change of direction, twisting and turning is not his go. They would have been better to play him as a HFF, give him 3 or 4 chances a game and he'll kick 2 or 3 goals from a decent range.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
@Baggers‍ - I tend to agree, Gibbs played his best football off the HBF flank when he could watch the football coming to him and read the flight, he'd dispose of opponents early and then use the footy very very well on the rebound.
It's wonderful how history gets re-written. Are you a speech writer for the Trump administration as well?

How quickly people forget how many turn over Gibbs was involved in during his tenure at Carlton. I find it alarming that based on your position in the draft, exceptions are made and glaring faults glossed over to emphasise "what a great pick" he was. Let's get it straight, the guy was a poor choice at Number 1 as was Murphy.

These guys aren't number one pick material and never were and I get annoyed that people make allowances for them. They were\are being paid handsomely to deliver mediocre results at best. Don't make excuses for them...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #152
How quickly people forget how many turn over Gibbs was involved in during his tenure at Carlton. I find it alarming that based on your position in the draft, exceptions are made and glaring faults glossed over to emphasise "what a great pick" he was. Let's get it straight, the guy was a poor choice at Number 1 as was Murphy.
Sorry @Spanner‍ - I can't take you seriously on sMurph or Gibbs issues.

In a loss these guys could get Club BoG as well as Brownlow votes and you'd still blame them!

There is no history being rewritten, and no rage based blindness either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154

These guys aren't number one pick material and never were and I get annoyed that people make allowances for them. They were\are being paid handsomely to deliver mediocre results at best. Don't make excuses for them...

Aside from the part where Murphy was the best player in the competition, for a couple of years, before his shoulders went (AFL MVP, continual top 3 Brownlow voting), and also the part where Selwood-aside (and maybe Boak), Gibbs is clearly the best player from his draft (unless we should have taken Gubmleton or Hansen or Thorp).  But, I suppose, dont let facts get in the way of an argument

Reply #155
Aside from the part where Murphy was the best player in the competition, for a couple of years, before his shoulders went (AFL MVP, continual top 3 Brownlow voting), and also the part where Selwood-aside (and maybe Boak), Gibbs is clearly the best player from his draft (unless we should have taken Gubmleton or Hansen or Thorp).  But, I suppose, dont let facts get in the way of an argument
Agree.

Reply #156
Our club was so consistent with getting top draft picks and expecting them to hit the ground running and be instant Brownlow favourites that it was fckn embarrassing - this was when the saviour mentality was alive and well.... holy crap we were pushing Murphy and Gibbs as teenagers in the leadership group!

Both were extremely good footballers cruelled by an immature club with a poor culture and dreadful leadership. I stand by what I commented earlier, Gibbs could have been an elite HB and Murphy an elite small forward/outside mid... both were pushed into areas not suited to their talents or their bodies. Ever looked at Murph... he's a runt, not at all suited to being an inside mid.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #157
Murphy best in the comp LMAO.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #158
Both were extremely good footballers cruelled by an immature club with a poor culture and dreadful leadership. I stand by what I commented earlier,

Joel Selwoods first game and his team-mates
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2007/070920070401.html

Bryce Gibbs'  first game and his team-mates
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2007/031420070401.html
    The weird thing about that is we won and Geelong lost.
    But by the end of the year they were top and we were second last.
    Players around you in your developing years make a huge difference in terms of support.
    Murphy and Gibbs were behind the eight ball from the moment they started.

Reply #159
Murphy best in the comp LMAO.

Right up there, until he did his shoulder

Murphy became one of the league's elite midfielders in 2011. He was named in the All-Australian team for the first time in his career, on the half-forward flank, and won his first John Nicholls Medal for best and fairest player at Carlton.
He was also named as the AFL Coaches' Association Champion Player of the Year, and
The Age' Player of the Year.

Murphy started the year as strong as he finished 2011, becoming the favourite for the Brownlow Medal before a heavy collision with Patrick Dangerfield in round 8 where he sustained a shoulder injury.He returned in round 16, and from round 17 to 21 was named as the acting captain in the absence of Chris Judd.

●  Ranked 4th in Total Kicks in 2011   
 ●  Ranked 5th in Total Disposals in 2011
  ●  Ranked 4th in Total Supercoach Score in 2011    
●  Ranked 3rd in Total AFL Fantasy Score in 2011
  ●  Ranked 7th in Total Contested Possessions in 2011    
●  Ranked 7th in Total Uncontested Possessions in 2011
  ●  Ranked 3rd in Total Effective Disposals in 2011    
●  Ranked 8th in Kicks Per Game in 2011
  ●  Ranked 7th in Disposals Per Game in 2011    
●  Ranked 4th in Supercoach Score Per Game in 2011
  ●  Ranked 6th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game in 2011    
●  Ranked 9th in Uncontested Possessions Per Game in 2011
  ●  Ranked 3rd in Effective Disposals Per Game in 2011

Reply #160
2011 is almost 10 years ago.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #161
2011 is almost 10 years ago.

100% agree - by no means is he now.  Just a comment that the pick wasnt the disaster it was made out to be.  Yes, Pendles has had a better career, but at one stage, Murph was ahead

Reply #163
100% agree - by no means is he now.  Just a comment that the pick wasnt the disaster it was made out to be.  Yes, Pendles has had a better career, but at one stage, Murph was ahead
Better career is an understatement....Pendlebury is going to be seen as a great of Collingwood, probably in their top 5 and Murphy a good player but not at Pendleburys level IMo. Its the same with Gibbs and Selwood, you look at our No 1's of that era including Kreuzer and you could say they were good footballers but not legendary like their contemporaries..