Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 8511 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
Dropping the ball isnt a free....its either holding the ball or play on, the player has to attempt to kick or handball, grey area arises in what is termed incorrect disposal and where the ball is knocked out of a players hands in a tackle.
Also how long does a player get to dispose of the ball, what constitutes a successful tackle where judgement can be made on the above?......all open to interpretation and abuse.
Yes, it's pretty clear, the problem is using interpretations rather than literally umpiring the rules.

While I agree dropping the pill isn't a rule, it's clear professionally dropping the pill is a trend, in my opinion if you drop the pill it's incorrect disposal and as far as I know there are only two ways to legally dispose of the ball. Having it ripped out of your arms by a team-mate was sometimes penalised years ago, now it's a free for all football pass the parcel to the nearest team-mate. I'd have no problem if only opposition were allowed to dispossess the ball carrier by stripping the footy. But to counter that effect if a 3rd or 4th person joins in the tackle, the gang tackling should be penalised for holding the man even if your own team-mate has the footy. Having a team-mate hold the footy to your chest shouldn't be a defence for failing to dispose of the ball. End of gang tackling, over and done!

I've never understood why the AFL bows down to belligerent coaches that bitch and moan about how unfair the game is to their players. They always have some tactical advantage hidden behind their agenda for their own team, and yet the AFL keeps fudging the rules based on the bitching and moaning coaches.

btw., This isn't the same as the SPS or Kelly events, which is a case of obvious rules either not being implemented or totally ignored.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
To me, the biggest difference i see is that the WC players - similar to the Hawks players - COMPLAIN after every whistle - constant barrage of complaining. I wonder if that wears the umpire down or has that subconscious effect of putting in their mind oh that should be their free/they're complaining - it shouldn't have been a free?

Sounds ridiculous I know, but you watch our games - besides Simo, no one in our team consistently questions the umpiring.  Personally I think it's an ugly look and should not be tolerated, but it stands out to me as a difference of ours.

Reply #47
To me, the biggest difference i see is that the WC players - similar to the Hawks players - COMPLAIN after every whistle - constant barrage of complaining. I wonder if that wears the umpire down or has that subconscious effect of putting in their mind oh that should be their free/they're complaining - it shouldn't have been a free?

Sounds ridiculous I know, but you watch our games - besides Simo, no one in our team consistently questions the umpiring.  Personally I think it's an ugly look and should not be tolerated, but it stands out to me as a difference of ours.
Indeed. They really do whinge. Almost everyone in the side goes the Umps and asks why they didn't get it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
Why do you think SPS copped a 50 metre penalty against?

Im sure we all asked for an explanation on how that was holding the ball, and the result was a 50 metre penalty.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49

There was some article/interview with Teague recently in which he said he wants our players to play with the right intentions.
He doesn't want our players mocking the opposition, or whinging or any of that. He wants us winning by playing like gentlemen essentially.

Its a terrific idea.....but i'm not sure its effective.

Prettu sure most teams that have won flags either physically, or mentally demolish their opponents.....or both.

Are we attempting to fight with 1 arm tied behind our backs?

Reply #50
50m Penalty can also be given for demeanor I believe, you dont actually have to use bad language, so the tone of your enquiry
can see you with a penalty. Once again interpretation/grey areas and that means inconsistency....
On another matter...How does Dusty get away with belting blokes every week, gets reported and gets off with a silly fine..the whole system needs an overhaul especially the MR/tribunal stuff.

Reply #51
There was some article/interview with Teague recently in which he said he wants our players to play with the right intentions.
He doesn't want our players mocking the opposition, or whinging or any of that. He wants us winning by playing like gentlemen essentially.

Prettu sure most teams that have won flags either physically, or mentally demolish their opponents.....or both.

Gee I hope that isn't true. Firstly, it makes you an easy target for the opposition and secondly, poor umpiring. 'We can do anything to this Carlton mob and they won't complain'.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #52

Nice guys always finish last
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #53
I'd like to see some smart changes for this match, Freo have some seriously good young talent who are all very quick so we need to match that.

B: Docherty, Weitering, Plowman
HB: McGovern, Jones, Simpson
C: Petrevski-Seton, Cripps, Walsh
HF: Fisher, Casboult, Cuningham
F: Betts, McKay, Gibbons
R: Pittonet, Kennedy, Setterfield
I/C:  DeKoning, Dow, E. Curnow, O'Brien

IN : Dow, O'Brien
OUT : Martin, Murphy

Who else did you drop to get Cunningam in. He didn't play last week.

Bet Murphy is playing.

Reply #54
Who else did you drop to get Cunningam in. He didn't play last week.

Bet Murphy is playing.
If @LordLucifer‍ rests Cripps from that side it would be the one I'd play against the Crows, give them a hollow victory with nothing to Crow about no matter how it is achieved, and give us a huge boost if by chance we cause an upset!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
50m Penalty can also be given for demeanor I believe, you dont actually have to use bad language, so the tone of your enquiry
can see you with a penalty. Once again interpretation/grey areas and that means inconsistency....
On another matter...How does Dusty get away with belting blokes every week, gets reported and gets off with a silly fine..the whole system needs an overhaul especially the MR/tribunal stuff.
I believe the umpire refer to that as being "Demonstrative".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
I believe the umpire refer to that as being "Demonstrative".

what Im saying is that being domonstrative and wearing a Carlton jumper and wearing a West Coast jumper are two different things.

Dont believe me?  Watch the holding the ball decisions, and complete lack of regard the flaunting of the rules our opposition are getting away with every week, whilst we infringe for breathing on an opponent.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57

A dickhead in authority often demands an inappropriate level of respect that dickheads are just not worthy of. Just makes them look like an even bigger dickhead.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58
Why do you think SPS copped a 50 metre penalty against?

Im sure we all asked for an explanation on how that was holding the ball, and the result was a 50 metre penalty.
I didn't mean it like that.  Samo definitely turned around with a scowl of his face and said something - probably similar to what I said in my seat, what the f*** was that for!? 

I mean the constant 4-5 players around the ball, throwing their arms up and talking at the umpire after every whistle.  I hate it, its a crap look, but it makes me wonder if it does change the umpires' course.  They''re only human, if you had 5 people yelling at you every time you did something, it would effect you.  Of course it shouldn't, their professionals, just what I witness.  It's similar to how when Simo tackles he immediately puts his arm up for HTB, that annoys me too - play hard, don't worry about the whistle!

Reply #59
Gee I hope that isn't true. Firstly, it makes you an easy target for the opposition and secondly, poor umpiring. 'We can do anything to this Carlton mob and they won't complain'.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-coach-david-teague-says-high-draft-picks-must-earn-games-with-paddy-dow-lochie-obrien-stuck-in-reserves/news-story/38dd01ee2c55be0c2b88dc3b4b5893b6

Try clicking that.

I don't have access, but thats the story.
Can't recall where i read it though