Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 8512 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
Actually Eddie half-heartedly questions too - but besides from them, it's pretty rare to see an 'all team in' whinge that WC and Hawks do.

Reply #61
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-coach-david-teague-says-high-draft-picks-must-earn-games-with-paddy-dow-lochie-obrien-stuck-in-reserves/news-story/38dd01ee2c55be0c2b88dc3b4b5893b6

Try clicking that.

I don't have access, but thats the story.
Can't recall where i read it though
I posted the full article yesterday in List Management Reply #221

https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=4869.210
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-coach-david-teague-says-high-draft-picks-must-earn-games-with-paddy-dow-lochie-obrien-stuck-in-reserves/news-story/38dd01ee2c55be0c2b88dc3b4b5893b6

Try clicking that.

I don't have access, but thats the story.
Can't recall where i read it though
@kruddler‍  Not sure if that is the article, but on the subject I felt part of Teague's motivation was about having players that enjoy playing football, through not being mired in negativity 100% of the time. So the pressure is released, and it perhaps makes us a more attractive destination as a club.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
I posted the full article yesterday in List Management Reply #221

https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=4869.210

Thanks.

FWIW...this is the part i was referring too.
Although there is no direct quotes...
It comes as the Herald Sun confirmed that coach Teague had instructed his players to play in the spirit of the game this year as rival players are criticised for “taunting” across the league.

Teague has made it clear to members of his side he wants them to play with respect and not to engage in ruffling the hair of rivals, attacking them physically or mocking them when they miss goals.

Those shows of bravado have become commonplace across the league, with calls for an anti-taunting code, but Teague is intent on his players focusing on the game rather than getting sucked into silly byplay with rivals.

Reply #64
smart changes? Lose 2 of our best runners? 1 might be forced.

FYI, McGovern would be an 'in', as would Harry.
Outs would have to include Cottrell and Newnes

So you've matched their speed by making our team slower and less mobile overall.
Smart.

Cottrell looked like he wasn't able to pick up the pace of the game yet and Newnes has been getting selected on the basis of kicking a goal or two each week and doing feck all else. Murphy keeps making skill errors that a senior player shouldn't and at crucial times too.

Who are these "best runners" you refer to ??

Running around the ground for miles but not touching the aggot is not something to reward.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #65
If @LordLucifer‍ rests Cripps from that side it would be the one I'd play against the Crows, give them a hollow victory with nothing to Crow about no matter how it is achieved, and give us a huge boost if by chance we cause an upset!

Not advocating Cripps being rested even though he isn't anywhere near his best right now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #66
Cottrell looked like he wasn't able to pick up the pace of the game yet and Newnes has been getting selected on the basis of kicking a goal or two each week and doing feck all else. Murphy keeps making skill errors that a senior player shouldn't and at crucial times too.

Who are these "best runners" you refer to ??

Running around the ground for miles but not touching the aggot is not something to reward.

Best runners are players like Murphy and Cottrell.
Cottrell is the only bloke who can beat a curnow in the time trials.
Murphy, for all his supposed flaws, still gut runs with the best of them.

As for not touching the aggot.....Murphy had 23 touches 3 more than any other Carlton player, and 4 more than untouchable Paddy Cripps. Only 1 player on the ground had more and that was Sheed.

Gut running + ball winning ability = Murphy......and you dropped him....and that was a 'smart move' to improve our running.  :o

EDIT:
BTW, Newnes had just over 300m gained last week. 5m short of Kennedy (carltons best in this area last week). So you're dropping another one of our best runners. Smart.
For the record, the bloke who couldn;t get the pill, Cottrell, still had more meters gained than 18 other blokes wearing the same colour jumper. Again, including our untouchable captain. Smart.

Reply #67
Murphy was poor. We will go no where while he is still around.

Kade Simpson's numbers are well down this year but he is playing better.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
Murphy was poor. We will go no where while he is still around.

Kade Simpson's numbers are well down this year but he is playing better.
Murphy is having quite a good season, not getting so much footy but using it very well compared to most, he is probably Top 5 B&F!

Simmo is getting heaps of footy, but is burning a lot of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
How many 33yo's are playing better than him?
Boak, Selwood and Pendlebury all around  32...our own Simpson ,but thats not the issue, its what is Murphy providing us and is he keeping a younger player with more upside out of the team or is he providing leadership and winning his position each week?
IMO Murphy and Simpson need to retire along with Kreuzer and should sit the remaining games out and then play the last vs Brisbane..

Reply #71
Boak, Selwood and Pendlebury all around  32...our own Simpson ,but thats not the issue, its what is Murphy providing us and is he keeping a younger player with more upside out of the team or is he providing leadership and winning his position each week?
IMO Murphy and Simpson need to retire along with Kreuzer and should sit the remaining games out and then play the last vs Brisbane..
32 is not 33.

For a 33 year old, he is performing better than most of our 23yo's.

Last time we force-retired some of the clubs eldest players it led to our first ever wooden spoon.

Lets not make the same mistake again thanks.

Reply #72
Honey will be making his debut.

Full teams not out yet.

Reply #73
32 is not 33.

For a 33 year old, he is performing better than most of our 23yo's.

Last time we force-retired some of the clubs eldest players it led to our first ever wooden spoon.

Lets not make the same mistake again thanks.
I'll give you Boak a full year younger but the other two are 6 months difference only and have also played more games which equates to over a season so they would be more worn given the extra work.
You didnt answer my question on what Murphy is providing us vs the cost of keeping a younger player out of the team and sacrificing development? We are still two seasons off playing decent winning finals IMO why keep old tired legs?

Reply #74
Honey will be making his debut.

Full teams not out yet.
I think the lad deserves a go. he has been good in the 2's.
Live Long and Prosper!