Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #120
I've watched it twice now, I suspect it was a headspace issue, we looked frozen not unfit, like we were thinking "Oh no not again!"

If you have time to re-watch it, take notice of our players in the last half of the final quarter. They look confused, and I suspect they failed to follow team orders in those moments. There is no way a coach will tell a team to flood back and leave nobody to kick the ball to, and he certainly won't tell 4 or 5 onball or forward players to sprint to the CHB position form a circle and guard 25m of empty space while the opposition play around the boundary! They(our blokes) got there ahead of the Geelong opponents and stood watching as our defenders played outnumbered on the boundary, that is not a fitness issue, it's panic!

That's exactly what Teague said in the post match. He's adamant that the players still had plenty of run, but just went all timid and conservative.

Reply #121
For 3 qtrs we were actually a good football side doing everything the side has promised for a while. We crapped our pants in the last qtr just trying to hold on to our lead rather than increase it but getting past a top side as we did, smashing them for 3 qtrs on the own dunghill will do the belief alot of good. Hopefully this is the game that changes everything. Time will tell.
For the players, coaches and supporters (the latter probably more than anyone). Sounds like the coaches believed and still do, the players thought they believed leading into Rich and Melb but stumbled. They well and truly got back on track in the first three qtrsv Geel. I for one, despite that we outplayed Melb for 3 qtrs, thought this week was going to be an utter massacre. At qtr time, I actually thought we would do the massacring. I texted two mates at 3/4 time and said to them "watch for the comeback of all comebacks". Not because I know one iota about football, but purely by my conditioning as a Carlton supporter. Holding off and winning made going to bed and waking up Sun morning so much better. More please.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
Agree the first 3 quarters was the best ive seen in too long to remember.

But I'm not sure the last quarter fade out was anything but our boys not being able to run out the game. We looked shot. 

Not sure if they are much fitter then us maybe as their midfield group is much more seasoned then ours but watching the game live it was definitely a matter of when not if they would run over us.

I can't remember watching a game where a team looked so dead on their feet as we did.  Haven't we got the fitness Guru?

Was only going by what the coach said. He said they had the legs but the issues were mental where they started going down the line rather more rather than with what they were doing. Possibly it was alot of both, fatigue and some pants crapping.

Geelong has always been a team with a lot of belief and often fightback hard from any position hence I was was very nervous still, even at 3/4 time. At that time, despite a 35pt lead, I would've been happy to still win by a point. Maybe I should be careful what i wish for...haha.

What I am seeing, nearly all sides are struggling to play out the 4qtrs, due obviously to limited preparation time. Last week bludged early so had a heap left at the end, this week we hammered the start and couldn't finish.

Reply #123
Important having Eddie back, not just for what he can still give us at his age but, importantly frees up both Martin and Gibbons to play in the midfield. That makes us a much more formidable unit.

Reply #124
I've watched it twice now, I suspect it was a headspace issue, we looked frozen not unfit, like we were thinking "Oh no not again!"

If you have time to re-watch it, take notice of our players in the last half of the final quarter. They look confused, and I suspect they failed to follow team orders in those moments. There is no way a coach will tell a team to flood back and leave nobody to kick the ball to, and he certainly won't tell 4 or 5 onball or forward players to sprint to the CHB position form a circle and guard 25m of empty space while the opposition play around the boundary! They(our blokes) got there ahead of the Geelong opponents and stood watching as our defenders played outnumbered on the boundary, that is not a fitness issue, it's panic!

Another one was when SPS cut across and poleaxed the Cats running defender, SPS stood watching then moved all too late, after the opponent had fumbled the mark, SPS had assumed the Cat would mark and he gave up.

I thought that our players didn't know how to respond to Geelong's use of the corridor in the last quarter.  The defensive structures that worked so well for the first three quarters weren't effective and our players didn't seem able to think on their feet and make appropriate adjustments.

It was a bit like our failure to adapt to Gawn's dominance in the first quarter last week.

I guess that's where we miss Daisy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
FYI  AFLCA voting
9 Levi Casboult (CARL)
7 Marc Pittonet (CARL)
5 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
3 Eddie Betts (CARL)
1 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)

The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Levi 9 votes - if you ever look up the definition of late bloomer...................

Classic. How many times did he look gone for all money ?

Reply #127
Classic. How many times did he look gone for all money ?
Should we delay answering that until the next game we play? :D

That raises a very good question, what must Levi do to win you over forever, maybe it's worth a poll thread of it's own?

I think all it will take is one after the siren come from behind winning goal against some club like The Filth, CheatsFC or The Ferals and he is effectively a club immortal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128

Should we delay answering that until the next game we play? :D

LOL. I know I shouldn't go the early crow, but the old Levi feels like a distant, faded memory. He just seems to be one of those guys you can rely on these days.

I hope I haven't just mozzed him.

Reply #129
That raises a very good question, what must Levi do to win you over forever, maybe it's worth a poll thread of it's own?

I think all it will take is one after the siren come from behind winning goal against some club like The Filth, CheatsFC or The Ferals and he is effectively a club immortal!

Personally I value consistency over the flashy stuff, but I accept they can be memorable in their own way.

If he plays this season like he did yesterday, that would do it for me. Would be good enough for AA, and would poll well in the coach's award and the club B+F. That would be crazy given his journey.

Reply #130
LOL. I know I shouldn't go the early crow, but the old Levi feels like a distant, faded memory. He just seems to be one of those guys you can rely on these days.

I hope I haven't just mozzed him.
He's been doing it for a couple of years now. That move to defence last year changed him.

Teague said he used to put so much pressure on himself, now he just goes out and plays.

Reply #131
Some talk of Weitering being potential AA if his good form continues.

Reply #132
FYI  AFLCA voting
FYI  AFLCA voting

9 Levi Casboult (CARL)
    7 Marc Pittonet (CARL)
    5 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    4 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
    3 Eddie Betts (CARL)
    1 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
    1 Sam Docherty (CARL)

I wonder how different those votes would have been had the Pussycats kicked a goal in the last seconds and won?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #133
I wonder how different those votes would have been had the Pussycats kicked a goal in the last seconds and won?
I thought the same thing.

Reply #134
The coaches votes are a bit weird this week - Cripps BOG with one coach, nothing from the other.  Maybe shows an even effort...

Levi          5+4
Pittonet    4+3
Cripps      5
Weiters    2+2
Eddie       3
Doc         1
Rohan     1