Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11353 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #75
I think it's time to park 2019 and start looking forward.

Saturday was a game against a top 4 side with a huge amount to play for, versus an improving struggler.  Wind, rain, everything working against us.  And it was pretty clear that the Blues went into survival mode in the last quarter and concentrated on getting through in one piece.

Next time we play Geelong, it will be a dry day at the 'G and I am certain things will be different.

FWIW, that boy Narkle has a bit of something about him.

My thoughts exactly; farewell to the 2019 season, bring on 2020  :)

Yes, Narkle looks very promising, but most of our youngsters would look the goods if they were playing with the Cats lineup.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #76
I have already moved on from season 2019 apart from an academic interest in finals. The trade period will be massive for us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
I'm probably as big a whinger as anyone when it comes to umpires, but the ump was retiring after 500 odd games, I don't think its too much of a stretch for Scott to acknowledge that.

Did he get a hug from Teague as well? Doubt it.

Reply #78
Did he get a hug from Teague as well? Doubt it.

Teague didnt have the same length of career as Scott, either as a player or senior coach.

Reply #79
Where does Kreuzer play if he isn't our number one ruckman.
I don't think he does.

I would play him as a big body midfielder who can contribute to clearances and take ruck contests around the ground. In addition, we need a tall player who can get off the ground to actually contest centre bounces before making himself useful elsewhere.

Reply #80
2018: Lycett/Vardy
2017: Nankervis/Grigg lol
2016: Roughead/Boyd
2013: Bailey/Hale
2009: Campbell/Renouf

Half of the last decade of premiers did not have a dominant ruckman.
But they were dominant in the finals.

2018: Lycett/Vardy:   Lycett is not the greatest ruckman of all time, but he had a final’s series to define his career. He actually beat real top ruckmen during those games and kept Grundy from dominating in the GF. Even Vardy played some of his best football in years.
WC’s ability to win enough taps and nullify their betters was crucial in allowing their midfield to get on top. And then their talls stood up around the ground and took match winning marks.
Had Lycett and Vardy played as they had during the season, they simply wouldn’t have won.

2017: Nankervis/Grigg lol   I have reservations about Nankervis, but he played his best footy in 2017 and allowed the Richmond mids to dominate. He kept Sauce Jacobs to his least effective game on the year.
As for Grigg … I’m not going there. I haven’t forgiven him for abandoning us yet.

2016: Roughead/Boyd:   I could not say this pair is a top duo, but Roughead played his best footy for the Dogs that season and limited the effectiveness of the other ruckmen. As for Boyd, it was probably the only time in his career that he played to his potential. He was magnificent on GF Day.
I am not surprised that neither could repeat that performance, but they really stood up when it counted.

2013: Bailey/Hale:   Bailey and Hale were not match winners, but they nullified their opponents and allowed their own mids to dominate.
2009: Campbell/Renouf:
   I find it difficult to believe that any team could win with these spuds as ruckmen. But their job, as Bailey and Hale did in 2013, wasn’t to win the rucks. Instead it was to make sure that their opponents didn’t win the rucks.

Honestly the 2 Hawthorn pairs are the exception that almost proves the rule. They had midfields that were extraordinary. All they had to do was to keep their opponents from winning the game, and their smalls would do the rest.

I could live with that, if we had a midfield good enough to dominate like Hawthorn’s did.
I could live with the sort of guys who rose like a Phoenix during the finals.
But I would prefer the sort of rucks that can lift and win the game themselves.

Live Long and Prosper!