Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 138187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #105
Watching the Crows carve up Norf, Tex Walker seems like an inspired selection as skipper.

Reminds me of Sticks in more ways than one!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
So much for reporters asking the tough questions nowadays. Why didn't anyone ask Malthouse at the post game presser a question like "Were you happy with your players leadership out on the ground tonight?"

I'm sure Blues supporters would love to hear the answer to that question !!
The answer would say a lot about either the coach or the players, but good luck finding someone willing to ask that kind of question these days....
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #107
There is a bloke called Patrick Dangerfield effectively on the market this year, no brainer for me throw everything at him, including Bryce and Kreuser at Adelaide......
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #108
There is a bloke called Patrick Dangerfield effectively on the market this year, no brainer for me throw everything at him, including Bryce and Kreuser at Adelaide......

If they have a big year he would be crazy to leave!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #109

Bandaid solution !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #110
If they have a big year he would be crazy to leave!

An Adelaide premiership must be worth serious bucks post football. Wonder if we could put something to match it, if it's a reality.

Reply #111
forget dangerfield...STOP THE QUICK FIX ...we need to start again...

recruit a core group of 10 players 1st and 2nd rounders over the next 2-3 years that will play 200 games

the club has got to hold firm and follow through with the build of a proper list...

i fear that Carlton may be getting wobbly again with the MM contract extension talk

we run the risk our club could be running around in circles again...losing a 2nd generation of supporters,, one generation has already been lost

Reply #112
Dangerfield will only be 25 for next season. Hardly a stop gap. How long do you think a "cycle" in the AFL is? If Danger is no chance at the next Carlton assault on the flag, our plan is plain and simply wrong.

Reply #113
forget dangerfield...STOP THE QUICK FIX ...we need to start again...

recruit a core group of 10 players 1st and 2nd rounders over the next 2-3 years that will play 200 games

the club has got to hold firm and follow through with the build of a proper list...

i fear that Carlton may be getting wobbly again with the MM contract extension talk

we run the risk our club could be running around in circles again...losing a 2nd generation of supporters,, one generation has already been lost

Agree. Talk of hiring Voss together with a big $ guy like Dangerfield makes me very nervous - deja vu!

I'd love to have Danger but would we be repeating the Judd story with all of our expectations focused on one very expensive player?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #114
Opportunity cost needs to be weighed up.  If we can get him for less than 900k a year then sure, and i expect our captain or Daisy to get a haircut for it!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #115
Better still, cut Daisy to 400k and Murph to 600k, give the change, another 500k on top and the captaincy to The Dangerman.

Edit: Sheesh I'm starting to sound desperate.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #116
Opportunity cost needs to be weighed up.  If we can get him for less than 900k a year then sure, and i expect our captain or Daisy to get a haircut for it!

:))

Sheesh Thry, don't go promising more haircuts, they're fixated on those already, we'll never get them to concentrate on their footy!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117
Better still, cut Daisy to 400k and Murph to 600k, give the change, another 500k on top and the captaincy to The Dangerman.

Edit: Sheesh I'm starting to sound desperate.

if we are going to win a premiership we take a geelong approach combined with the old Carlton approach...

that is...the club always said to its players, if you look after the jumper the jumper will look after you (carlton)
fix all salaries to a medium capped figure with variation in between to build a dynasty of players ..(geelong)
no highly paid marquee players...
assuming we win a premiership or 2, the club then provides the business and post player opportunities that doesn't breach the salary cap...

Reply #118
Addressing the leadership is the key here and is the overall topic, not who should be recruited and why.

For what it's worth, Raydan made a bold statement in the OP, he said we should trade Gibbs & Murphy now whilst they have maximum value. I tend to agree with him because if we did, we'd be loading up on Top 10 picks for the next year which is exactly what Hawthorn did some years ago.

They read the draft well that year, offloaded players with some shelf life and laid a foundation for what you see now in front of you.

The players they brought in were leaders, not run-of-the-mill types !!      
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #119
They traded into the now famous Judd/Hodge/Ball draft with Croad but they bottomed out for their Franklin/Roughead draft, pretty sure they got Lewis in that as well and Mitchell was a second round pick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!