Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 52984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #390
Paine must go - his decision to bowl cost us the Test match and the Series win.

What the f.. was he thinking? Very little.
Time Paine has always been a stop gap Captain until someone else comes out of the woodwork. Unfortunately, nobody really has as yet. Being Captain has hurt his game, both batting and fielding. His replacement as a keeper is probably not far away. But who will Captain after him is an issue with no obvious answer as yet.

As for your specific question, bowling first on this pitch was an extremely poor idea and it probably cost us the match. Instead of being able to bat our way to a decent total and control the game, we were reacting all of the time, not setting the agenda.

I think Paine will learn from his mistakes, but I am not sure he will be there long enough for that to be important.

Why the f... were Warner and Harris retained? Diabolical decisions.
Really, apart from Smith, and to a lesser affect Wade, the batting this tour has been very ordinary. Had Smith not been so dynamic, we would have lost, no two ways about it. The bowlers dominated the series on pitches that were bowler friendly.
I think you will notice that the batsmen will improve when we play at home. Warner, when the ball doesn't move around quite so much, will be a much stronger option.
The reality of the situation is simple: we have one top batsman in any conditions (Smith). The rest make up the numbers. We will see just which ones come to the party when the season starts in Australia.

Why was Starc overlooked for the 125k an hour man Siddle. Stupefying.
This was not a decision that I can explain. Sidds has been a warrior for a long time, but his present pace is questionable when there were guys like Starc available. I would like to have seen Starc play to get him back into decent form the the Summer.
My only suggestion is that this test, a dead rubber, was given to Sidds as a reward and a final game.

To be fair, I think the entire team was off the boil in this game. Having won the previous game and retained the Ashes, the overriding will to win just wasn't there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #391
Paine's 35. Carey should be playing ahead of him. Better batsman by some margin, equal or better keeper.

Pick the best 11 or 12, then pick the Captain from that group.

Dumb as that a players gets a gig because he's a 'good captain'.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #392
Time Paine has always been a stop gap Captain until someone else comes out of the woodwork. Unfortunately, nobody really has as yet. Being Captain has hurt his game, both batting and fielding. His replacement as a keeper is probably not far away. But who will Captain after him is an issue with no obvious answer as yet.

As for your specific question, bowling first on this pitch was an extremely poor idea and it probably cost us the match. Instead of being able to bat our way to a decent total and control the game, we were reacting all of the time, not setting the agenda.

I think Paine will learn from his mistakes, but I am not sure he will be there long enough for that to be important.

He didn't learn from his mistakes with the DRS!!!

Really, apart from Smith, and to a lesser affect Wade, the batting this tour has been very ordinary. Labuschagne
Had Smith not been so dynamic, we would have lost, no two ways about it. The bowlers dominated the series on pitches that were bowler friendly.
I think you will notice that the batsmen will improve when we play at home. Warner, when the ball doesn't move around quite so much, will be a much stronger option.
The reality of the situation is simple: we have one top batsman in any conditions (Smith). The rest make up the numbers. We will see just which ones come to the party when the season starts in Australia.
This was not a decision that I can explain. Sidds has been a warrior for a long time, but his present pace is questionable when there were guys like Starc available. I would like to have seen Starc play to get him back into decent form the the Summer.
My only suggestion is that this test, a dead rubber, was given to Sidds as a reward and a final game.

To be fair, I think the entire team was off the boil in this game. Having won the previous game and retained the Ashes, the overriding will to win just wasn't there.
I just can't cop that. You think they didn't have the will to win the ashes? It's like their GF!!!

Reply #393

I thought that the Test, as a whole, was as flat as a sh1t carter’s hat.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #394
Paine must go - his decision to bowl cost us the Test match and the Series win.

That's a little simplistic, in reality...dropping a truckload of catches, appalling batting, useless umpiring (we got shafted all series) & our reviewing of those useless umpiring decisions cost us the win.

and, equally, with all those points above against us,  I'm not sure batting first would have made a sceric of difference.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #395
That's a little simplistic, in reality...dropping a truckload of catches, appalling batting, useless umpiring (we got shafted all series) & our reviewing of those useless umpiring decisions cost us the win.

and, equally, with all those points above against us,  I'm not sure batting first would have made a sceric of difference.

Simplistic? Absolutely, but's it's cricket strategy 101....and he fluffed it.

Paine thought he was smarter than the cricket gods - he ain't.

Our bowlers would have had an extra day or so rest - our premier batter Smith averages 100 in first innings.....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #396
Heard this but cannot say anything about the quality of the source, and frankly I don't believe it. The mystifying decision to bat first was because Paine was told this will be his last Test. They discussed before the toss and agreed to bat if they win it. Paine decided to bowl because he was p1ssed off, Langer was apparently furious

Reply #397
Heard this but cannot say anything about the quality of the source, and frankly I don't believe it. The mystifying decision to bat first was because Paine was told this will be his last Test. They discussed before the toss and agreed to bat if they win it. Paine decided to bowl because he was p1ssed off, Langer was apparently furious

Not much else makes sense!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #398
Yep that what I thought too!

Reply #399

Unfortunately, on the last bit, it was obvious they weren't switched on. It seems they were happy just to retain the Ashes away from home, obviously seen by the massive celebration after. While I would've killed for 2-2 before the series started I preferred to win when the opportunity was there. Attitude to the game was disappointing. Looks like they just wanted to get the game over with and go home after a long tour unfortunately.

Reply #400
Paine getting the chop was always on the cards, they picked someone who no matter how well they captained wouldn't have the individual performance to back it up! All so when Smith walks back into the job there are no arguments!

Hopefully Smith has learned a bit about Captaincy, and won't be a slave to the coaches notes in the future!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #401
Paine getting the chop was always on the cards, they picked someone who no matter how well they captained wouldn't have the individual performance to back it up! All so when Smith walks back into the job there are no arguments!

Hopefully Smith has learned a bit about Captaincy, and won't be a slave to the coaches notes in the future!

Smith wants a lot of extra money to take on the captains role is what I have been told....

Reply #403
Has Carey ever Captained?

As a senior only in T20 as far as I know, I believe he captained one of his youth touring teams.

But make no mistake, he's all quality and is willing to work at it!
The Force Awakens!