Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee (Read 14943 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee

Reply #60
No 11 is Matt Hanson...midfielder who will come under consideration by a few clubs in the mid season draft, not pretty but effective. Hanson had 6 Liston votes vs the NB's
last season so Fraser didnt do his homework very well in terms of stopping him this game.
Agree that Williamson and Stocker are the two who showed the most, Kennedy still doesnt look match fit, attacks the footy ok but isnt overly mobile for a mid and looks like he needs a season or two with Jack Russell to get some wheels.

Yeah Hanson looked a natural footballer. Exactly the type we don't seem to go for much.

SOS has proven himself an excellent judge of the U18 kids but pretty rubbish on the VFL / mature aged players. Quite a few Smedts / Palmer / Lang / etc. types and not many wins.

Anyway - he picked Williamson with pick 60 and if I had my pick of 1 player on the ground to play in the 1s next week it would be him. Then Stocker - who might end up costing us nothing. So no complaints.

Reply #61
Lang looks putrid. He will need a lot more time in the 2s to build up some confidence cos he looks shot right now. His pace and long goals could be a massive win for us but the way he's playing - he's about as far away from 1s as you can get.

Yes, he hasn't had much continuity with injuries, form etc., but he hasn't shown much with the little opportunity he's been given. I wonder whether guys like him and Fasolo had a certain sense of entitlement, thinking they'd be a walk up start in the best 18 at a bottom club like us, and whether they feel slighted as a result of playing in the magoos ?

Reply #62
Northern Blues   1.1-7   2.4-16   5.5-35   7.9-51
Werribee   5.1-31   10.3-63   13.7-85   17.7-109

Not happy. Not happy at all.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: J. Palmer 2, S. Fisher, N. Wheeler, C. Polson, A. Fasolo, P. Kerr
Best Players: L. Stocker, F. Anderson, T. Wilson, T. Williamson, K. Keppel, H. Macreadie

WERRIBEE
Goal Kickers: T. House 4, B. Malual 3, J. Riccardi, J. Henderson, T. Gribble, M. Munro, L. Pinnuck, J. Maishman, R. Kemp, N. Coughlan, A. Clarke, K. Declase
Best Players: M. Spencer, M. Augerinos, J. Henderson, D. McFarlane, A. Clarke, T. Gribble

So disappointing to see so many players doing so little. Neither of the ruckmen. Not happy.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #63
Lang played 11 games last season, and given how bad the team was, it's hard for anyone to look good. Hopefully he comes good later on.

Reply #64
Northern Blues   1.1-7   2.4-16   5.5-35   7.9-51
Werribee   5.1-31   10.3-63   13.7-85   17.7-109

Not happy. Not happy at all.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: J. Palmer 2, S. Fisher, N. Wheeler, C. Polson, A. Fasolo, P. Kerr
Best Players: L. Stocker, F. Anderson, T. Wilson, T. Williamson, K. Keppel, H. Macreadie

WERRIBEE
Goal Kickers: T. House 4, B. Malual 3, J. Riccardi, J. Henderson, T. Gribble, M. Munro, L. Pinnuck, J. Maishman, R. Kemp, N. Coughlan, A. Clarke, K. Declase
Best Players: M. Spencer, M. Augerinos, J. Henderson, D. McFarlane, A. Clarke, T. Gribble

So disappointing to see so many players doing so little. Neither of the ruckmen. Not happy.

Anderson, Keppel and MaCreadie are very lucky to be in the best......I thought the kid Wheeler was better than all of them.

Reply #65
That's what happens when you drink Horlicks too early in the day. But maybe 7pm is your bedtime?  ;D ;D ;)

I suspect it was the beef and lobster burger and cheeky shiraz that I had for lunch  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Went full of expectation, left at half time because there is nothing worse than watching a team that is playing crap to start off with and then just becomes undisciplined and frustrated due to some exceptionally ordinary umpiring.

Williamson set the afternoon off by giving away a double goal due to undisciplined actions and it went downhill from there. Hard to assess Stocker as he had no support or structure around him. However he just does things that make you think that, in better company, he could do the job....a bit like Williamson when he was given his first chance. Young Finbar and Ben Silvagni are both victims of no development teams and are there purely for experience. Fasolo and Lang are not going to make it but Kennedy, with less attention in the main team, will be ok.

(All based on a full viewing at Vic Park and half a game today)

I don't mind that from Willo.  Yes, it is undisciplined and unacceptable but it tells me that he is playing with passion.  He now needs to harness that passion and focus on getting the pill and stopping his opponent.  Once is enough though and I will be disappointed if he does anything similar in future.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
Anderson, Keppel and MaCreadie are very lucky to be in the best......I thought the kid Wheeler was better than all of them.

Sounds like we did well just to have "best players"...lol.

Good sign that Stocker was our best.

Reply #68
I suspect it was the beef and lobster burger and cheeky shiraz that I had for lunch  :)

Beef and lobster burger may well be a problem.

The "cheeky shiraz" however would do no harm DJC.  ;)  :D :D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #69
I don't mind that from Willo.  Yes, it is undisciplined and unacceptable but it tells me that he is playing with passion.  He now needs to harness that passion and focus on getting the pill and stopping his opponent.  Once is enough though and I will be disappointed if he does anything similar in future.

Likewise. He and Stocker showed passion and some mongrel. We like that and it only needs be channeled more productively. I strongly suspect Willo got the umpire (the one who pinged him for the 50) offside and was penalised for a couple of 50/50s after that.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
Sounds like we did well just to have "best players"...lol.

Good sign that Stocker was our best.
There was one passage of play in the highlights package that might have been a look into our future (hopefully). Stocker took it from a centre bounce and kicked it long to BSOS who marked strongly in front of goal. Dont know if he kicked it but the passage looked good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
There was one passage of play in the highlights package that might have been a look into our future (hopefully). Stocker took it from a centre bounce and kicked it long to BSOS who marked strongly in front of goal. Dont know if he kicked it but the passage looked good.

He scored a behind by shining it.  Was a demanding kick from about 50 out so not surprising for a first year player.

Commentators were saying it was a shot of a defender.

Regarding our retreads I think sos has maximised the number of players we have gotten in for very little outlay and judging them solely by how they perform fails to take into account the bigger picture.

All of them have cost not much or been key to us trading in other useful picks for our real goals.  Of the retreads only the lower risk higher rewards have really failed.  The draft is where we are doing our real improvement and I'm ok with that.  With a bit of luck we would have had a bit more success but you can only try.  Fasolo had the potential to be a game winner but it hasn't panned out, and that's ok because it actually didn't cost us anything special. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
Sorry,  I ain't buying the argument "it's OK that they're crap because they cost nothing". Waste of time types,  they getting us nowhere.

We paid decent draft picks for all these GWS types and I ain't seeing a lot of world beaters.   I'd swap all these cheap half raters for one decent blow in. Quality trumps quantity.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #73
Sorry,  I ain't buying the argument "it's OK that they're crap because they cost nothing". Waste of time types,  they getting us nowhere.

We paid decent draft picks for all these GWS types and I ain't seeing a lot of world beaters.   I'd swap all these cheap half raters for one decent blow in. Quality trumps quantity.

What did we give up to get them?

Think carefully and tell me which ones haven't delivered value on their recruitment and tell me what the opportunity cost was?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
Yeah - a spot on the list is so valuable. The trick is to minimise the flops.

Not easy though.