Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee (Read 14952 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee

Reply #90
Fraser is very easy on those players...The Werribee crew from the burbs with No AFL listed players embarrassed the NB's..

Lang:  He’s three games back from a lengthy layoff so we think he’s starting to get going in the areas of the game we know he’s good at.

What is that carp???....got news for you Josh, he never got going in any areas and looked like he couldnt give a rats clacker either...

Lobbe: He spent a fair bit of time up forward and his leading patterns were quite good, we weren’t able to utilise him often enough. His second half and competitiveness around the stoppages allowed us to get some momentum back. I love his leadership on the field, he’s always trying to galvanise the group and get them on track with what he needs to achieve.

Momentum back?.....they smacked us, especially at the stoppages......leading patterns? FFS.....we never had the ball to give it to him and if we did he wouldnt have been able to mark it anyway, did he take a mark for the game?

Fas: He’s an experienced player who can bring a lot to our group with his leadership and energy, he was about as energetic as a sloth in a coma.....

Honestly...Clive Palmer and his horrible robotic ads would have more cred than this garbage Fraser dished up, you would swear it was a close game, how about some real feedback and being brutally honest?

Reply #91
looked like he couldnt give a rats clacker either

That's the biggest tell for me.....seemingly lost interest...

Heck, he's only 23! Odd.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #92
That's the biggest tell for me.....seemingly lost interest...

Heck, he's only 23! Odd.

Spurned by his Handbagger lovers, he looks dejected and rejected.

Just a Ford crap truck with an undeserving Ferrari reputation, buyer beware, it's not the first time we've been stung by the car-salesmen of the AFL!

(Apologies to the auto-traders for the use of the euphemism, I rate you well above the Handbaggers!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Agreed LP....how many spuds have we picked up from Geelong over the decades? Apart from Hickmott who was superb for us, I can't think of many others that have done much...Michael Mansfield, David Clarke, Billie Smedts and now Darcy Lang to name a few..

Reply #94
Agreed LP....how many spuds have we picked up from Geelong over the decades? Apart from Hickmott who was superb for us, I can't think of many others that have done much...Michael Mansfield, David Clarke, Billie Smedts and now Darcy Lang to name a few..

Gee, another Hickmott would just about complete our side....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #95
Fraser is very easy on those players...The Werribee crew from the burbs with No AFL listed players embarrassed the NB's..

Lang:  He’s three games back from a lengthy layoff so we think he’s starting to get going in the areas of the game we know he’s good at.

What is that carp???....got news for you Josh, he never got going in any areas and looked like he couldnt give a rats clacker either...

Lobbe: He spent a fair bit of time up forward and his leading patterns were quite good, we weren’t able to utilise him often enough. His second half and competitiveness around the stoppages allowed us to get some momentum back. I love his leadership on the field, he’s always trying to galvanise the group and get them on track with what he needs to achieve.

Momentum back?.....they smacked us, especially at the stoppages......leading patterns? FFS.....we never had the ball to give it to him and if we did he wouldnt have been able to mark it anyway, did he take a mark for the game?

Fas: He’s an experienced player who can bring a lot to our group with his leadership and energy, he was about as energetic as a sloth in a coma.....

Honestly...Clive Palmer and his horrible robotic ads would have more cred than this garbage Fraser dished up, you would swear it was a close game, how about some real feedback and being brutally honest?

Werribee is sitting third on the ladder with a %age of 147 and they are free to play their strongest 22 and not worry about getting games into underdone teenagers.  I think it’s just a bit simplistic to dismiss them as a team from the burbs.

Of course Fraser has to choose his words carefully but his comments are made in the context of full knowledge of player instructions, workloads and expectations.  Supporters’ reviews are interesting but are made without the context of the coach’s comments.  I don’t dismiss supporters’ reviews but I value the coach’s comments just a little more.  Together they provide a pretty good picture of where our AFL listed NBs are at.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
Werribee is sitting third on the ladder with a %age of 147 and they are free to play their strongest 22 and not worry about getting games into underdone teenagers.  I think it’s just a bit simplistic to dismiss them as a team from the burbs.

Of course Fraser has to choose his words carefully but his comments are made in the context of full knowledge of player instructions, workloads and expectations.  Supporters’ reviews are interesting but are made without the context of the coach’s comments.  I don’t dismiss supporters’ reviews but I value the coach’s comments just a little more.  Together they provide a pretty good picture of where our AFL listed NBs are at.

I understand Fraser has to be diplomatic to the media especially to the AFL listed brigade but I think internally I would be hoping for a more realistic commentary and feedback to Bolton and crew on how those AFL listed experienced players went. Underdone teenagers, the Werribee kid playing 2nd ruck vs Lobbe and Philips was playing his first game. We had 13-14 players who have played senior AFL footy.Lets be honest thats a disgraceful effort from the NB's and it needs acknowledgement if we are going to get better not faint praise...

Reply #97
I understand Fraser has to be diplomatic to the media especially to the AFL listed brigade but I think internally I would be hoping for a more realistic commentary and feedback to Bolton and crew on how those AFL listed experienced players went. Underdone teenagers, the Werribee kid playing 2nd ruck vs Lobbe and Philips was playing his first game. We had 13-14 players who have played senior AFL footy.Lets be honest thats a disgraceful effort from the NB's and it needs acknowledgement if we are going to get better not faint praise...

x2, plus modern kids are not like earlier generations, bag them too much publicly and they switch off for good.

They are educated to respond to negativity in criticism as bullying, left wing bullcrap, all opinions are equal and everybody gets a gold star!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98

Fifteen AFL-listed players, six of whom haven’t played a game at AFL level and four of that six are in their first season of open age footy.  We’ve also got blokes returning from injury and with managed workloads.  Fraser has to prioritise their rehab over all out effort.

I suspect that Fraser, and the other coaches present, would have a lot more to say to each of the players and to the match committee ... and that shouldn’t be aired in public.  Fraser’s mix of veiled criticisms and positive points is fine for public consumption.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #100
VFL teams loaded with AFL players aren't coached specifically to win VFL games, they are developing systems, if it so happens they get the systems right then at VFL level they win as a consequence not because of opposition analysis.

I've had long post game discussions with Ex.AFL coaches now coaching in the VAFA about this very subject. The NBs will always suffer while our primary goal is developing AFL youth, as our AFL list matures the NBs will benefit. In the VFL kids will always be played out of position or with specific tasks and agendas taking priority over defeating an opponent.

People point to the Handbaggers VFL to counter this argument, but they are very different and their success and failure works both ways. Because of location and coincidence with a TAC Cup squad they are effectively an academy type setup. They have coherence across three or four levels with almost no local competing interests, yet they still seem to underperform at VFL level which supports the development hypothesis.

It's no point bagging Carlton/NBs, when you see the only really successful AFL hosted teams are Geelong and Box Hill which have won just three flags in a decade! The rest go to affiliates or stand-alones.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101

Some short memories here - how about a couple of midfielders called Carrazzo and Williams?  Two premierships out of Mario Bortolotto (plus snotting David Cloke in 82 religiously following Parko's instructions that if they started a fight deck the guy closest to you).  Got 54 games out of Mansfield, even if many were ordinary, 24 out of the underused Laidler even 36 out of Justin Murphy after his return from the cattery.  David Clarke Snr only played 9 games for us but averaged better than 2 goals a game and was instrumental in getting us over the line in the '82 prelim only to be dropped for the granny.

Not to mention the McShane brothers both captaining the Blues in the early days and  77 games from Jim Flynn including the 1906/7/8 premierships.

We've had a few good'uns from there.

Just don't mention the names O'Reilly or Smedts - but in recent years they and perhaps David Claarke junior are the only real busts we've had from Geelong, although Lang is looking that way unless he can rediscover his ability to give a continental.

Reply #102
Why we took that peanut Murphy back from the cats is a mystery. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #103
I can't be bothered analysing all this, I suppose you have to accept the good with the bad overall, for example we did well out of clubs like the Aints for years.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
Gee, another Hickmott would just about complete our side....

We overlooked 2 in the last draft!
Mid season draft? Oskar Manton got a mention recently.