Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47098 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #345
"Gusset sucking lombards" is the nicest thing my sergeant called Naval personnel.   Most others referenced the LQBTF community. He called the RAAF types "blue moths".

Did you ever get to lay out "bastard wire" DJ?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #346
"Gusset sucking lombards" is the nicest thing my sergeant called Naval personnel.   Most others referenced the LQBTF community. He called the RAAF types "blue moths".

Did you ever get to lay out "bastard wire" DJ?

I don’t recall the term but I still have a scar on my arm from a particularly nasty entanglement I constructed.  The sergeant instructor thought I had a natural talent for barbed wire, which is just as well because I now have hundreds of metres of it  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #347
One I can share from my time in the Green Machine is, “I’m going to rip your arms off, stick them in your ears and ride you round like a farking motorbike!”

:)) :)) :)) still sitting here laughing at that one. Funny thing is that I was going to recount a similar story ...so... young Baggers (just 17, 9 wild hairs on his top lip) learning to march at recruit school (H.M.A.S. Cerberus) when I heard in a screech, "Baggers (well, real name), if you don't swing those fckng arms to shoulder height I'm gonna tear the fckng things off and beat you to death with the wet ends..." Ah, the creativity. The things you remember. You know I actually believe that we Aussies have the most creative and colourful slang in the world.

Sorry for the off topic contributions but, eh, a little comic relief doesn't go astray...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #348
That's the stuff DJ,  it bites doesn't it?

Baggers,  in true Monty python Life of Brian fashion: "favouritism.... Oh,  to be spat on like that" springs to mind.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #349
That's the downside, the upside is superior understanding of self-discipline, team-work, hard work and excellence. Pass mark in two of my 6 subjects to gain qualification in my 'trade' (comms/encryption/code breaking etc) was 98%, the other 4, 80%.

A mate was telling me that he was in similar studies and his superior kept telling him how well he was doing, one day he asked where he would end up if he kept doing well.
The answer was that he would be rewarded with a code breaking job in a bunker with no windows... he flunked his next test and transferred... ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #350
A mate was telling me that he was in similar studies and his superior kept telling him how well he was doing, one day he asked where he would end up if he kept doing well.
The answer was that he would be rewarded with a code breaking job in a bunker with no windows... he flunked his next test and transferred... ????

:)) :)) he dodged a bullet! Once I qualified (got my ranking) I soon found myself as the comms guy (yep, only 1) on H.M.A.S. Bombard, in a one man tiny steel walled office that was located at the 'pointy end' of the patrol boat below the water line - on one side just 1/4" of steel separated my office from the oggin (sea). In rough seas... sending and receiving morse with my right hand, holding the spew bucket with my left. I could describe to you what the lining of your stomach looks like swirling around in a bucket of regurgitated Navy food... but it's close to lunch time.  :(

Reply #351
My best friend was a Navy Radio Operator in Vietnam.

He has some interesting stories about being on the smaller support craft which is almost absent from the official records. You can read all you like about Destroyers, Aircraft Carriers and Air Support, but if you were on a boat that can go up river it's almost absent from the record. Of course the Aussies were officially not to be involved in marine or seal type activities apparently, but what were they going to do sit in a river delta and watch the war go by?

Did you hate the biscuits?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #352
My best friend was a Navy Radio Operator in Vietnam.

He has some interesting stories about being on the smaller support craft which is almost absent from the official records. You can read all you like about Destroyers, Aircraft Carriers and Air Support, but if you were on a boat that can go up river it's almost absent from the record. Of course the Aussies were officially not to be involved in marine or seal type activities apparently, but what were they going to do sit in a river delta and watch the war go by?

Did you hate the biscuits?

Wow, that's exactly what I was, Spotted One. In the Navy we were known as 'Sparkers.' In that ABCTV series 'Patrol Boat' the Sparker was the cat who emerged from the little metal dungeon from time to time with a message for the Skipper, XO or Coxswain... the insignia we wore was doves wings with a lightning bolt through them.

Our 'small craft' did heaps in the Asian theatre-of-war 60's and early 70s... patrol boats, landing craft, mine hunters and mine sweepers, sometimes survey boats were also deployed. Our reputation was second-to-none. On exercise we routinely gave the Yanks a hiding, always beat them, as did the Kiwis and Poms.

What really annoyed me, hurt actually, was finding out just last year all the entitlements I had for serving in a war zone... conveniently kept from us unless we asked. Thousands of dollars in psychiatrists, psychologists, medications and so on to deal with PTSD and PAD... out-of-pocket. Lost about 25 years of my life being mired in the effects of these disorders including years curled up in a useless lump of flesh with severe agoraphobia. I know I probably irritate many talking about this and bringing it up at every opportunity ...it's in an effort to create awareness so others don't lose such huge chunks of their lives - presently in deep discussion with a certain high profile law firm to create more public awareness as to what happens to returned service folks, or rather, what doesn't happen.

I'm one of the lucky ones - I'm still here, drug free (grog free!!!) and managing issues v. well, sh*t, almost normal (have no fear, that'll never happen)... not the case for many mates, though - so it's incumbent upon those of us who come through to speak up.

Reply #353
Great post Baggers and keep them coming!

My service was relatively benign and I have only recently started marching with the local RSL on ANZAC Day - mainly out of respect for my father, late brother and uncles who served and suffered.  We march a good 100 metres (with few in step) but I am always humbled by the applause from the onlookers ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #354
Wow, that's exactly what I was, Spotted One. In the Navy we were known as 'Sparkers.' In that ABCTV series 'Patrol Boat' the Sparker was the cat who emerged from the little metal dungeon from time to time with a message for the Skipper, XO or Coxswain... the insignia we wore was doves wings with a lightning bolt through them.

Our 'small craft' did heaps in the Asian theatre-of-war 60's and early 70s... patrol boats, landing craft, mine hunters and mine sweepers, sometimes survey boats were also deployed. Our reputation was second-to-none. On exercise we routinely gave the Yanks a hiding, always beat them, as did the Kiwis and Poms.

What really annoyed me, hurt actually, was finding out just last year all the entitlements I had for serving in a war zone... conveniently kept from us unless we asked. Thousands of dollars in psychiatrists, psychologists, medications and so on to deal with PTSD and PAD... out-of-pocket. Lost about 25 years of my life being mired in the effects of these disorders including years curled up in a useless lump of flesh with severe agoraphobia. I know I probably irritate many talking about this and bringing it up at every opportunity ...it's in an effort to create awareness so others don't lose such huge chunks of their lives - presently in deep discussion with a certain high profile law firm to create more public awareness as to what happens to returned service folks, or rather, what doesn't happen.

I'm one of the lucky ones - I'm still here, drug free (grog free!!!) and managing issues v. well, sh*t, almost normal (have no fear, that'll never happen)... not the case for many mates, though - so it's incumbent upon those of us who come through to speak up.
Much respect Baggers, and thank you. Keep pushing your cause, I'm one of many who have no idea of what you guys went through, and I am 100% behind you guys getting the support, recognition and respect you deserve

Reply #355
Great stuff Baggers, write about this crap anytime you like!

My mate spent periods in and out of Holdsworthy after returning, took him years to get sorted. All drink related.

In the end he ended high up in Telstra managing there faults system with the skills he learned, comms diagnostics, testing and reliability not drinking that is! But he was good at both! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #356
Much respect Baggers, and thank you. Keep pushing your cause, I'm one of many who have no idea of what you guys went through, and I am 100% behind you guys getting the support, recognition and respect you deserve
Well spoken Jack.
Fire at will Baggers ????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #357
Well spoken Baggers.

While I hope you remain both drug and grog free don't slip to pie free.

Reply #358

Thanks from me too Baggers.

I have a very good mate who came back from Vietnam in a mess and he has never fully recovered since.
He is OK, but not the same man by a long shot.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #359
Well spoken Baggers.

While I hope you remain both drug and grog free don't slip to pie free.

Not a chance, BB. Gee I laughed when I read that.