Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2020 (Read 9738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2020

Reply #30
These days we tend to ignore the pressure that it applied by opposition players and teams and head straight for the 'C' word.
 They faulter, they lose concentration, they run out of steam, they tighten up, they are outplayed by their opponent........but they don't simply choke.
Sometimes they go and have a little nap and return stronger than ever!

Maybe Ash needs to have a look at how the big boys do it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
She was beaten by a better player on the day.  These days we tend to ignore the pressure that it applied by opposition players and teams and head straight for the 'C' word. They faulter, they lose concentration, they run out of steam, they tighten up, they are outplayed by their opponent........but they don't simply choke.
No doubt she was beaten by the better player, she did lost to the eventual winner of the AO. She had her chances though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Imagine if Kyrgios told the crowd to "Shut the f#$% up" or touched a the chair umpire's foot during an AO match. Just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
Imagine if Kyrgios told the crowd to "Shut the f#$% up" or touched a the chair umpire's foot during an AO match. Just saying.
How dare you highlight our hypocrisy!    :o ...... ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
I read a comment from someone on line who claims to travel the world watching tennis, and they state that the behaviour of Australian crowds is among the very worst. They said that the behaviour displayed at the AO would never be tolerated at Wimbledon.

Reply #35
I read a comment from someone on line who claims to travel the world watching tennis, and they state that the behaviour of Australian crowds is among the very worst. They said that the behaviour displayed at the AO would never be tolerated at Wimbledon.
I commented to my wife many times during the AO this year that the crowds seemed to yell stuff out just as players were preparing to or about to serve. I'm all for a vocal crowd getting into the game but there is a certain etiquette that goes with games like tennis and golf that must be adhered to. The umpires did SFA to nip this in the bud IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
I commented to my wife many times during the AO this year that the crowds seemed to yell stuff out just as players were preparing to or about to serve. I'm all for a vocal crowd getting into the game but there is a certain etiquette that goes with games like tennis and golf that must be adhered to. The umpires did SFA to nip this in the bud IMO.

That was true all tournament.

Particularly when you combine it with some arbitrary timer in their serving preparation.  30 seconds, started by the chair umpire, whilst the crowd are STILL making noise, and then they wonder why both Rafa nadal, and Novak Djokovic ended up with time violation warnings.

I spent the whole day at the Tennis on day 1.  Crowd making lots of noise, and walking around the stadium whenever they felt like it.  People are very rude and disrespectful.  Very few attempts to quieten the crowd, and only hurrying them up to take their seats right at the end of the process.  During this time I watched the courtside "timers".  They counted down to 0 frequently whilst the crowd were making noise.  Its been common for players hearing noise "restart" their service preparation.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Why do they need perfect silence to serve? At local tennis they have cars driving past, kids walking dogs and talking to each other, planes flying overhead. Too precious to expect complete silence, you're getting paid millions, just block it out and get on with it

Reply #39
Why do they need perfect silence to serve? At local tennis they have cars driving past, kids walking dogs and talking to each other, planes flying overhead. Too precious to expect complete silence, you're getting paid millions, just block it out and get on with it

I think the stakes are way higher in pro tennis, and the margin for error way less. And i don't think they expect perfect silence.

Reply #40
Far too self indulgent for my liking and stands populated by the "beautiful people".

Reply #41

The tennis has always been about decorum and silence.  Very high brow and clapping.  It's always been a sport that takes itself seriously.   Possibly too seriously, and the fans have always traditionally been quietened down by the umpires.  They have been woeful at this of late.

The players have the right to expect that the fans are quiet.   Djokovic has never felt the love from the Australian supporters and frankly my experience growing up says it's a deep seeded racial thing to people who hail from the Balkan area.

It is very common for a player to halt their service motion and wait for silence prior to serving.  Add a timer and you have a recipe for time violation if one feels the noise is going on for too long and the umpire doesn't agree.  I'll remind you at this point that the umpire starts said timer.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
The players have the right to expect that the fans are quiet.  Djokovic has never felt the love from the Australian supporters and frankly my experience growing up says it's a deep seeded racial thing to people who hail from the Balkan area.
Rrrrriiiighhhtttt!

Except it was the travelling entourages of Djoko, Raf and Fed as well as some from other EU opponents that were the biggest offenders! :o

What Aust Open failed to do was control the crowd in a typical EU totalitarian fashion, we had no sub-machine gun armed para-military on hand, not a single flak-jacketed special force to be seen, it was completely free. The exact opposite of Wimbledon and the French Open which is like going to a tennis match at a prison!

The same travelling supporter crews do not cause much trouble in the US, because they can't get a visa to get in!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43

At local level if someone outside the court screams out while you're about to serve it's usually a "take two".
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
The players have the right to expect that the fans are quiet.   Djokovic has never felt the love from the Australian supporters and frankly my experience growing up says it's a deep seeded racial thing to people who hail from the Balkan area.

Spot on.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!