Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2020 (Read 9717 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2020

Reply #60
In fact, "Australians" didn't elect Pauline Hanson.  Taking the 2016 election as an example, 4.3% of voters voted for One Nation and it is our voting system that enabled Hanson and others to secure Senate seats - no One Nation candidate has ever been elected to the House of Representatives.

It would be more accurate to state that it is reasonable to assume that many of the 4.3% of voters who voted for One Nation are racist.  Of course, that doesn't mean that some of those voters who voted for other parties aren't racist too.  However, that doesn't mean that Australia is a racist country even if many of our citizens struggle to come to terms that our nation is founded on attempted genocide. 

I would say that we, as a country, are no more racist than most other countries, and probably less racist than many.

Xenophobia seems to be part of the human condition and it's great that many Australians have embraced multiculturalism and and are more willing to accept diversity.
Firstly, I'm not a Hanson booster or critic, I try to stay away from offering an opinion and just look at the numbers. But on Hanson's election it appears it could be even worse than a minority racists getting a say DJC, and somewhat ironic.

At first the following seems bogus, fake news, but apparently it's a real effect and I'm not sure where to go to verify the data.

Preliminary analysis of polling after Hanson's re-election showed in some marginal electorates her party experienced disproportionate support from recent immigrants and the indigenous. Which of course we all understand given Hanson's public statements and policies and how Hanson is lambasted in the media but various segments! :o

Why, apparently the voters want tougher immigration laws! I understand the Indigenous support for this, but from immigrants? It seems the polling which covered primarily European expatriates who had have moved to Australia, showed they came here to get away from the political and religious trouble, and they don't want it following them!

But isn't the act of voting that way fulfilling that fear?

Rinse and repeat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
LP, this relates to the 2016 election:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-28/who-elected-one-nation-xenophon-lambie/7825106

Key points are that the One Nation vote was higher in electorates with more Australian-born voters, those with greater disadvantage and those with fewer tertiary graduates.  It was lower in electorates with more Indigenous voters and marginally lower in electorates with more Muslim voters. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
As a generalisation (which is all we can deal in given the nature of the beast), if you want explicit racism, look no further than the vast majority of the Asian nations.

Some hatreds run deep and I agree fly ... I've been to many many countries and could easily label the worst.  But as you say, you get the good with the bad.  We are incredibly tolerant by comparison. 

Reply #63
LP, this relates to the 2016 election:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-28/who-elected-one-nation-xenophon-lambie/7825106

Key points are that the One Nation vote was higher in electorates with more Australian-born voters, those with greater disadvantage and those with fewer tertiary graduates.  It was lower in electorates with more Indigenous voters and marginally lower in electorates with more Muslim voters. 
Thanks DJC, I think that's a fairly cursory voter analysis of the general electorates, importantly a generalization and that is exposed but the summary at the very bottom of the article. I'd be hypocritical if I didn't point out this, as it appears to be correlation not cause.

The report I'd read previously was prepared based on post election exit polling, who you voted for, what's your religion, sexuality, ethnicity, age, nationality. If I find it I'll post a copy. As I understood the exit poll it was the voting from "The children of immigrants", if you like 2nd generation Australian's, who were the primary supporters of Hanson. The reason I gave it some weight at the time was because it was an analysis of why the major parties lost certain seats despite what seemed to be a joint effort to eliminate minor parties. The exposed trend was alarming, because it portends an uncomfortable shift in Australian Politics in years to come.

I realise there are some conflicts in discussing this. Just as one analysis might generally categorize one group as immigrants and the other report the same people as born in Australia, they are all Australians. So in that regard Thry's generalization becomes reasonable if you assume ultrabroad categories, but of course Thry originally was very specifically discussing the Balkans.

A problem I have is how broad or selective the boundaries appear to be, and how those boundary definitions seem to be plastic pending a desired political position.

Finding the root cause seems to be almost impossible, primarily due to the complexity of social influences. It's certainly not something we can do in a few hundred or thousand words here, even in voluminous philosophical tomes there are unresolved contradictions.
The Force Awakens!