Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25024 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120
Lang is a bust, he is looking like another Smedts.

Great players, when they do not have to be "The Man!" Put them next to Dangerfield, Selwood, Enright, Corey, Johnston, etc., etc., and they look like silk!

It's a bad result for someone at our club given that we have been pursuing Lang as a trade target for two seasons! I hope we never trade with Geelong again, it's going to take a decade just to get over the recent dealings!

Lang has to start getting Murphy or Simmo type numbers just to get back to even!

More likely weather, but it seems injuries have determined our direction regardless!

Lang has missed alot of football this year though.

Reply #121
CARLTON'S ROUND 14 LINE-UP:

B: Lachie Plowman - Liam Jones - Kade Simpson
HB: Aaron Mullett - Jacob Weitering - Sam Rowe
C: Lochie O'Brien - Patrick Cripps (C) - Ed Curnow
HF: Jed Lamb - Charlie Curnow - Zac Fisher
F: Jack Silvagni - Matthew Wright - Sam Petrevski-Seton
F: Matthew Kreuzer - Dale Thomas - Paddy Dow
I: Jarrod Garlett - Levi Casboult - Matthew Kennedy - Cameron Polson

Emergencies: Cameron O'Shea - Darcy Lang - Andrew Phillips - Nick Graham   

In: Kennedy, Mullett, Polson, Garlett

Out: Graham (omitted), Lang (omitted), Kerridge (groin), Kerr (hip)

Milestone: Weitering - 50 AFL games

Reply #122
Lang has missed alot of football this year though.

True, but I'm not talking about fitness, it's his lack of aggression at the contest. He looks like a Grigg type and that is not what we need! Unless he is still carrying an injury which would be disappointing to say the least.

Even if you have not been playing, when you get a run you need to exhibit some desire to get hold of the footy, rather than just receive it bruise free!

Anyway, I honestly hope I am wrong, my assessment of him is not something I take great joy in writing!

One thing about the team. Poor Polson, he was on a form high for weeks on end at NBs even as they got smashed. Probably deserved a spot well ahead of SoJ in my opinion. Now the last couple of weeks he's been average at best and they given him a run! It's like giving a bloke that last sip of water just before he dies of thirst!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Weitering 50 games?
When is he going to turn it on like a No.1 pick?
Maybe we got another Jack Watts?
But then again Murphy, Gibbs and Kroozer have not put in a match winning, match turning, match dominating performance yet?
I would like our No.1's to take the game by the scruff of the neck and demand the ball, hunt the ball and stand up when needed. But that is just me ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #124
I thought that we were too easily brushed aside by stronger Freo bodies last week (in the first half particularly) and I guess that’s what happens when you rely on blokes like Dow, O’Brien, Samo and Fisher to do the heavy lifting.  I’m not sure that our ins have addressed that.

I’m not writing Lang off yet.  I suspect that he will provide more of what we need after a full pre-season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
True, but I'm not talking about fitness, it's his lack of aggression at the contest. He looks like a Grigg type and that is not what we need! Unless he is still carrying an injury which would be disappointing to say the least.

Even if you have not been playing, when you get a run you need to exhibit some desire to get hold of the footy, rather than just receive it bruise free!

Anyway, I honestly hope I am wrong, my assessment of him is not something I take great joy in writing!

One thing about the team. Poor Polson, he was on a form high for weeks on end at NBs even as they got smashed. Probably deserved a spot well ahead of SoJ in my opinion. Now the last couple of weeks he's been average at best and they given him a run! It's like giving a bloke that last sip of water just before he dies of thirst!

Sometimes that can be mistaken for confidence, which can be down when fitness isn't there.

Reply #126
Weitering 50 games?
When is he going to turn it on like a No.1 pick?
Maybe we got another Jack Watts?
But then again Murphy, Gibbs and Kroozer have not put in a match winning, match turning, match dominating performance yet?
I would like our No.1's to take the game by the scruff of the neck and demand the ball, hunt the ball and stand up when needed. But that is just me ::)

If Weitering was compared to others like him, an apples for apples comparison of their first 50 games, I wonder what it looks like!

I'm not sure No.1 Draft picks are any more likely to be instant hits than any other draft pick, but long term they seem to be statistically better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
Sometimes a coach can be close but needs the right support around him. We can see this with Hardwick/Caracella, and Malthouse/Buckley. Bolton's tactics may or may not be sound, but I find it hard to believe that players who have been in the system for many years could play so badly so regularly. I'm not suggesting he's a good or bad coach, but something looks like it's being lost in translation. A small market correction may be in order.

Montagna would know a thing or two about defensive structures and actions, having played under Lyon.

Reply #128
CARLTON'S ROUND 14 LINE-UP:

B: Lachie Plowman - Liam Jones - Kade Simpson
HB: Aaron Mullett - Jacob Weitering - Sam Rowe
C: Lochie O'Brien - Patrick Cripps (C) - Ed Curnow
HF: Jed Lamb - Charlie Curnow - Zac Fisher
F: Jack Silvagni - Matthew Wright - Sam Petrevski-Seton
F: Matthew Kreuzer - Dale Thomas - Paddy Dow
I: Jarrod Garlett - Levi Casboult - Matthew Kennedy - Cameron Polson

Emergencies: Cameron O'Shea - Darcy Lang - Andrew Phillips - Nick Graham   

In: Kennedy, Mullett, Polson, Garlett

Out: Graham (omitted), Lang (omitted), Kerridge (groin), Kerr (hip)

Milestone: Weitering - 50 AFL games
I nearly got the selections right. Rowe survives, Kerr (hip).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #129
I reckon he might be on to something. Young rookie coach feels as though he has to prove himself, so tries too hard to show he's the man for the job by coaching excessively. I'm sure it's happened before. Maybe let the players play on instinct more.

If Bolton goes with that zoning, offensive game plan again we should all go down and kick him hard where the sun doesn't shine. Our players become totally lost and drop their bundle completely.

Reply #130
Sometimes a coach can be close but needs the right support around him. We can see this with Hardwick/Caracella, and Malthouse/Buckley. Bolton's tactics may or may not be sound, but I find it hard to believe that players who have been in the system for many years could play so badly so regularly. I'm not suggesting he's a good or bad coach, but something looks like it's being lost in translation. A small market correction may be in order.

Montagna would know a thing or two about defensive structures and actions, having played under Lyon.

Montagna would know as much as I do.  The two examples he plucked out are similar to footage the so-called experts trot out every week for virtually every game.  Unless the players repeat the error every time they are in that situation, it’s the player’s error and not a structural or coaching error.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #131
Montagna would know as much as I do.  The two examples he plucked out are similar to footage the so-called experts trot out every week for virtually every game.  Unless the players repeat the error every time they are in that situation, it’s the player’s error and not a structural or coaching error.

Maybe, but when you're having the season we're having, there appear to be far too many amateurish player errors, players who look a little confused, and they shouldn't be.

I've watched most, if not all, of Bolton's pressers, plus other media work, and to me he seems like a good communicator. He seems to have a good grasp of the mechanics of footy. But it takes two to tango, and I don't believe for a minute that our problems are all down to the players.

Reply #132
...............and I don't believe for a minute that our problems are all down to the players.

Not all, around 95% at a guess.
I can feel a shellacking coming on this weekend by the way.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #133

I wonder if BB is one of the those blokes who wants to do everything... control freak. When coaches learn to delegate and trust they inevitably get a better result.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #134
Not all, around 95% at a guess.
I can feel a shellacking coming on this weekend by the way.

You could never put a number on it. Coaches have to know what they're doing, just like the players. If Bolton's message isn't getting through, then it's on him to figure out a way to get it across. The players aren't dumb.