Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25266 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #105
Interesting outlook on last week's game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/carlton-players-overcoached-not-lacking-effort-v-fremantle/news-story/0daf9d045880cbe460a79bbe9f0e2a1a

Montagna would probably make a good assistant coach....he may have burnt his prospects for a Carlton job in the short term though. ;)

He'll probably have a pretty successful media career anyway. :D

Reply #106
Montagna would probably make a good assistant coach....he may have burnt his prospects for a Carlton job in the short term though. ;)
A dumber kent you will not meet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Interesting outlook on last week's game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/carlton-players-overcoached-not-lacking-effort-v-fremantle/news-story/0daf9d045880cbe460a79bbe9f0e2a1a

I reckon he might be on to something. Young rookie coach feels as though he has to prove himself, so tries too hard to show he's the man for the job by coaching excessively. I'm sure it's happened before. Maybe let the players play on instinct more.

Reply #109
I reckon he might be on to something. Young rookie coach feels as though he has to prove himself, so tries too hard to show he's the man for the job by coaching excessively. I'm sure it's happened before. Maybe let the players play on instinct more.

That we push forward and leave our defense outnumbered? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Personal experience?
Not me, a mate.
In the article, He is suggesting that the players are executing BBs plan perfectly and that its flawed. I know whars flawed and it aint BBs plan.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #111
Not me, a mate.
In the article, He is suggesting that the players are executing BBs plan perfectly and that its flawed. I know whars flawed and it aint BBs plan.

I doubt there is any execution of a plan, I doubt there is any plan at all!

To quote from Apocalypse Now;

Cpt Benjamin L. Willard:  They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Col Walter E. Kurtz:  Are my methods unsound?
Cpt Benjamin L. Willard:  I don't see any method at all, sir.

BB is a soft target for many in the AFL, especially for some past players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
I doubt there is any execution of a plan, I doubt there is any plan at all!

To quote from Apocalypse Now;

Captain Benjamin L. Willard:  They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Colonel Walter E. Kurtz:  Are my methods unsound?
Captain Benjamin L. Willard:  I don't see any method at all, sir.

"Are you an Assassin" LP. :D

@LP Isn't Montagna's point similar to one you and deags  were making earlier in the year

I wonder if he really is, or if part of it is that when we've Docherty had down back, there is more organisation, and someone to cover Jones's man when he goes attacking the ball.
They highlighted one particular moment yesterday on the telecast where  Lynch was left in the pocket on his Pat Malone. Initially they were grilling Jones for leaving him, but when they camera angle was changed, he went forward to attack as there were 2 uncovered blokes forward, and no one dropped back onto Lynch when he did so.

Finally someone else noticing the truth about what is happening all over the ground!

We've got players who have lost the balance between attack and defence, Paul Roos highlighted it, Bolton admitted it and it hasn't yet been corrected.

Smarter kids like Weitering and SoJ do not have the experience to deal with this situation, they have the footy smarts and see what is happening and drop their heads because they get disheartened. Older heads like Daisy, Ed. Curnow, Plowman and Murphy keep plugging away, but fans pot them when with the football they try some miracle disposal to make up for all their out of position team-mates.

The real bad eggs are the guys who are doing the turnovers without being under pressure, the guys who are pushing forward like lunatics then efficiently handing the ball back to the opposition from a clear unpressurised disposal, then burning team-mates by pointing fingers at the blokes around them who are left to clean up the mess outnumbered and out of position exactly as Deag described.

I'm not expecting every player to be 100% efficient, but if you roll the dice you have to press equally hard both ways and only a handful of our list do it. Blokes like Daisy, Murphy and Ed.Curnow work the hardest workers, they are not the ones you want to be highlighting. You need to start looking at the names that seem to be missing from the chain of play, not the ones who are deeply involved in it!

Another problem we have, we have too many players who let opponents jog past without any pressure, when you contest with someone win or lose that opponent shouldn't be free to join the next contest unhindered. If you can't get to the next contest take them out with you, harass them at every opportunity and hinder their progress!

We've way too many of those finger pointers, who run like cut snakes forward and then jog backwards after missing a target, some of them are quite senior and it's not the ones necessarily getting all the supporter attention. A couple of them keep getting pats on the back for "good games", off the back of when they dramatically get back and help in only 1 or 2 out of every 5 cases, the fans ignore the times they decide not to help!

Reply #113
Its not an either situation.

The plan can be fine until its nullified.

Likewise, the plan can be cactus, but if left unchecked might simply succeed because no one knows how to stop chaos.

What we are simply seeing is too many people pulling in too many different directions at the same time.  We play football like a team that barely knows itself, and part of that is missing personnell (Docherty, Murphy etc) and part of it, is that we changed plan mid stream (say 4 rounds in) and part of it is that some players don't know the plan all that well and therefore execute it with different rates of success, and finally, we may have multiple plans for multiple situations in games of football.  If you are calling on the plan that states play tempo football whilst you have the momentum, you result in cutting your own momentum.  If you call on the plan that states play fast open football when the game is not on your terms, then you result in getting burnt the second you fail.  Ultimately, there is no such thing as a bad plan, and there is no such thing as a bad player at the proffesional level, and its all about degrees.  The better players and teams, execute the more suitable plan for the more suitable situation more frequently than teams that don't, and this is where we are currently falling over, and largely due to far too much change in an otherwise inexperienced overall outfit.

Makes sense??

I hope so.  There are lots of situational changes we are not getting right which is why we are not winning games we should, and why we are getting blown away in situations we really shouldnt.  In among all of that, we are doing better against some teams where we didnt think it was possible, because the opposition have taken it for granted that their way will simply beat us, and when it doesnt they are changing it up mid stream to get the win.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #114
"Are you an Assassin" LP. :D

@LP Isn't Montagna's point similar to one you and deags  were making earlier in the year

I read it as Montagna blaming the coaches(i.e. BB), in that he thinks it's part of or caused by a confusing game plan which the players are not able to deal with it. Too many instructions and over-coaching.

I think it's just a mix of bad play, poor decision making, poor on-field communications, and a few blokes who seem to be dead set racehorses but in one direction only! At the ground Lods, you see us tear ar5e forward as a group, then jog back as a wave! It's soul destroying, and some of the biggest offenders are being promoted as future leaders!

Back earlier in the season a lot of fans were potting Jones and Weitering, because on the TV you get a narrow view often showing them confused and seemingly uncommitted. But the wide shot often shows them trapped between two or three forwards after Simmo or Marchbank has charged off up the field and turned it over again!

If I gave any other impression I apologise, it wasn't intentional!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
I read it as Montagna blaming the coaches(i.e. BB), in that he thinks it's part of or caused by a confusing game plan which the players are not able to deal with it. Too many instructions and over-coaching.

I think it's just a mix of bad play, poor decision making, poor on-field communications, and a few blokes who seem to be dead set racehorses but in one direction only! At the ground Lods, you see us tear ar5e forward as a group, then jog back as a wave! It's soul destroying, and some of the biggest offenders are being promoted as future leaders!

Back earlier in the season a lot of fans were potting Jones and Weitering, because on the TV you get a narrow view often showing them confused and seemingly uncommitted. But the wide shot often shows them trapped between two or three forwards after Simmo or Marchbank has charged off up the field and turned it over again!

If I gave any other impression I apologise, it wasn't intentional!

The 'Assassin' bit was just another "Apocalypse Now" reference ;D

Reply #116
Its not an either situation.

The plan can be fine until its nullified.

Likewise, the plan can be cactus, but if left unchecked might simply succeed because no one knows how to stop chaos.

What we are simply seeing is too many people pulling in too many different directions at the same time.  We play football like a team that barely knows itself, and part of that is missing personnell (Docherty, Murphy etc) and part of it, is that we changed plan mid stream (say 4 rounds in) and part of it is that some players don't know the plan all that well and therefore execute it with different rates of success, and finally, we may have multiple plans for multiple situations in games of football.  If you are calling on the plan that states play tempo football whilst you have the momentum, you result in cutting your own momentum.  If you call on the plan that states play fast open football when the game is not on your terms, then you result in getting burnt the second you fail.  Ultimately, there is no such thing as a bad plan, and there is no such thing as a bad player at the proffesional level, and its all about degrees.  The better players and teams, execute the more suitable plan for the more suitable situation more frequently than teams that don't, and this is where we are currently falling over, and largely due to far too much change in an otherwise inexperienced overall outfit.

Makes sense??

I hope so.  There are lots of situational changes we are not getting right which is why we are not winning games we should, and why we are getting blown away in situations we really shouldnt.  In among all of that, we are doing better against some teams where we didnt think it was possible, because the opposition have taken it for granted that their way will simply beat us, and when it doesnt they are changing it up mid stream to get the win.

It makes a lot of sense.

I'm just wondering though...

One of the problems we've had since the early 2000s is that successive coaches have tried to introduce varying styles of playing (Pagan, Malthouse,)
In both cases the criticism was that they were trying to "get the players to play to a certain style rather than design a plan to suit the players strengths."

Ratten, I'm not so sure of (no doubt someone will tell me if I'm wrong ;) .....but I suspect that his time was more about playing to the lists limitations....and strengths....(without as some used to suggest a Plan B. :D)

Now it's understandable that what is happening under Bolton is that players are learning new patterns and structures...varying ones indeed.
But for whatever reason, and injury may play a big part, they aren't able to execute.
So are we once again persisting with a set of plans, as opposed to modifying, the plans to suit the abilities of the team  at the time.

Long term we may want to play a certain way but that will rely on the confidence of the players to play that way....that confidence must get a battering each time we get a really poor result.

Having said all that...I'm not sure there is a way to change a game plan/plans in an incremental fashion.... that also minimises damage.

That's a bit above my level.

Reply #117
Patrick Keane
‏ @AFL_PKeane
16s16 seconds ago

Carlton v Collingwood.
S Rowe into named 18 for Polson.
Interchange: Garlett, Casboult, Polson, Kennedy.
Emergencies: Graham, Lang, Phillips, O’Shea.
O’Shea replaces Kerr (injured) as an emergency.

n: Kennedy, Mullett, Polson, Garlett

Out: Graham (omitted), Lang (omitted), Kerridge (groin), Kerr (hip)

Reply #118
Patrick Keane
‏ @AFL_PKeane
16s16 seconds ago

Carlton v Collingwood.
S Rowe into named 18 for Polson.
Interchange: Garlett, Casboult, Polson, Kennedy.
Emergencies: Graham, Lang, Phillips, O’Shea.
O’Shea replaces Kerr (injured) as an emergency.

n: Kennedy, Mullett, Polson, Garlett

Out: Graham (omitted), Lang (omitted), Kerridge (groin), Kerr (hip)

Wonder if there was some kind of doubt re. Rowe's fitness/availability?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119
Lang is a bust, he is looking like another Smedts.

Great players, when they do not have to be "The Man!" Put them next to Dangerfield, Selwood, Enright, Corey, Johnston, etc., etc., and they look like silk!

It's a bad result for someone at our club given that we have been pursuing Lang as a trade target for two seasons! I hope we never trade with Geelong again, it's going to take a decade just to get over the recent dealings!

Lang has to start getting Murphy or Simmo type numbers just to get back to even!

Wonder if there was some kind of doubt re. Rowe's fitness/availability?

More likely weather, but it seems injuries have determined our direction regardless!
The Force Awakens!