Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood (Read 4306 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs. Collingwood

Reply #15
Down by 7 late, kicked a couple, won by 4pts 76-72. Pickett kicked the winner.

Reply #16
Graham 38 touches I hear, no news on Lang or McKay, Pickett 3.
Good for the young blokes to get a win.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #17
Graham 38 touches I hear, no news on Lang or McKay, Pickett 3.
Good for the young blokes to get a win.

I know McKay had 1 at one stage. That is all I know bar the fact we won.

Reply #18
That is all I know bar the fact we won.

That's enough, it's been a while.  :)
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
Nick Graham already on 28 disposals. Wish he could just make that step.

I wonder what his DE would be though, it's not getting the footy that is his problem, it's what he does with it once he has it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Pickett with 3 goals and McKay with 1. Lang 28 disposals.

All three should be strongly considered for seniors next week.

Schumaker, LeBois and de Koning all finished the game injured

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=6493

Reply #21
More injuries, great.

If this is more than a one or two weeker I reckon they'll draw a line through LeBois.   Constantly injured,  zero impact when played.

Pleased Buckenara isn't our list manager,  he reckoned that kid was a top ten pick.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Pickett with 3 goals and McKay with 1. Lang 28 disposals.

All three should be strongly considered for seniors next week.

Schumaker, LeBois and de Koning all finished the game injured

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=6493

Seems Pickett is the name on everybodys mind at the moment...
GOALS
Northern Blues: Pickett 3, Williams 3, Pickett 2, Fisher, Lobbe, McKay
???

Reply #23
we was that damn good that a couple of his goals were worth 2.

Reply #24
Very happy to see one of our teams finally get a win.

Progress.

Reply #25
Well done to our NB's. Especially given the outcome of our last meeting with this mob.

Pleased for Pickett on return from a long injury lay off.
I hope Lang was influential and is getting familiar with the game plan. He could add considerably to our midfield.

Here's hoping the 3 injured youngsters have a speedy and complete recovery.

We can't take a trick this year with injuries. What with another 6 casualties this round. I hope those who are on the mend are not rushed back prematurely. It's not like we're pressing the eight  ;)

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
I saw the last quarter and a bit of the 3rd. It was very enjoyable, even with the injuries.
We really wanted to win out there. However, the game was played in a very stop-start manner.

Graham: was Graham. He had 38 possessions and played well. Too good for this level. How accountable he was is another question.

Lang: Played midfield and got 28 possessions. He had his patches, but the good ones were very good. He got a lot of our clearances, but is an all or nothing type of midfielder. If he doesn't get it, he doesn't stop his opponent (who is usually far away).

Phillips: Missed an easy goal early in the last quarter, but rucked pretty well. He didn't direct his taps that well, but when he did, we scored. He also took a couple of really clutch marks in the last few minutes, ones that helped win the game. he really stood up when the game was on the line.

Our midfield. Of the last 16 ruck contests, we won 12 of them, but had only 4 clearances in that time. Lobbe, in particular, got big thumps in the ruck that went directly to Collingwood players. Lobbe is struggling and has lost the athleticism that made him such a good ruckman.

Harry McKay is a good chance of being in the 1's next week. He also took some clutch marks and was manhandled ridiculously with few frees.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27

Interesting stats.
[1] Nick Graham!
[2] Collingwood didn't give any votes to their top possession getters, but gave votes to guys who had goals kicked against them.  :o I guess they can say that they kept H relatively quiet, but he should have had about 10 frees.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Hard to rate the guys after half a game, but I'll do my best:

[1]   Nick Graham:   Nick only got 6 possessions in the last quarter, but he’d run himself into oblivion beforehand and managed 38 possessions all up. And he had tackles. He responded the way we hope all guys respond when they get dropped. Brilliantly.
[2]   Jarred Pickett:   Still a week or so away, I reckon. This week he had almost 3 times as many possessions as he had last week, and 3 goals as well. He might get a senior game simply because we have so few crumbing options in the seniors. He ran himself into bad cramp near the end, but still ran a guy down from behind about 30 seconds after cramping near the wing. He wanted to win and it was a great sign.
[3]   Andrew Phillips:   Only 9 possessions, but he had most of them in the last quarter. His ruck work was patchy, but when it was good, it was magnificent. He also took a number of towering marks, including 2 in the last minute or 2 of the game. His ruck work in the centre square is so much better than it is around the ground that it is not funny. Give him a leap at the ball and he is decent bet at getting a good tap.
[4]   Darcy Lang:   25 or 28 possessions, depending on who did the stats. He spent a lot of time in the centre square and was a primary target for our taps. When he got it, he ran hard forward and usually kicked the ball a long way forward, giving our forwards a chance. However, he showed no defensive side whatever as a midfielder. He got 10 clearances.
[5]   Matt Shaw:   I’ve seen Shaw play better. He got more ball early than late. 19 possessions and 7 marks was good, but only 1 tackle. I’d like to see him more effective at stopping goals.
[6]   Matthew Lobbe:   I think Lobbe is finished as an AFL player. He didn’t have the mobility or the jump that he had at his best. He got a lot of taps, but more than half went to Collingwood players. He took a couple of nice marks. He did OK, but his limitations now are very clear.
[7]   Harry McKay:   H wasn’t bad and he had sticky hands. He kicked 1 goal and could have got a lot more if he’d got a free. He was seriously manhandled without getting a reward. Don’t know if he did enough to get a game next week, but he has to get a few more frees.
[8]   Cillian McDaid:   You have to be impressed by his endeavour and pace. He could be a decent player next year.
[9]   Kym LeBois:   The lad got 8 possessions in a half of footy, which is better than he was getting in full games earlier this year. But he got injured and I didn’t see much of him at all.
[10]   Angus Schumacher:   Injured early and had only 5 possessions.
[11]   Tom de Koning:   Injured early and didn’t have much influence.

Only 11 Blues out there: there were more in round 1! That is a 22 goal turn around!
Live Long and Prosper!