Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast (Read 10040 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #90
But isn't that question equally targeting a Simmo or Walsh?

I think there is still plenty of space for variety, and I suspect a lack of variety is possible a very likely contributing cause for a lack of progress.

Robots only do something unpredictable or weird when they break, too many of the same and everybody knows what you are doing most of the time!
I'm not saying that there isn't a place for the talented, courageous, smaller player.
But in terms of having a physical, hurtful, intimidating impact on a contest, which is the area we're lacking, a Walsh or Simpson doesn't really have that same effect as a bigger, stronger player.

Reply #91
Cottrel is a better footballer than people realise, but he's a meat and potatoes type, I suppose because they don't see much VFL they haven't given him any credit, but he reminds me a bit of the Filth's Nick Maxwell, I've seen Cottrel do a few Ken Hunter type things in VFL putting his body on the line, but that's VFL. Maybe he is one of these guys like Duigan or Armfield, who'll never be a star but just come in week after week and get a job done. and provide some team ethic.

I hope he get's an opportunity soon, I'm keen to see if he can go up a level and find a way to be competitive. He could easily go the other way and end up a chook runner! Plus Cottrel's disposal is a bit weak, but I wouldn't say he is any worse than some already in the team.

It's a bit sad that coaches seem unable to get over the athleticism, size and strength aspects, you'd think in particular our coaches would have learned from Gibbons it's not always about the measurements you can make.
Isnt Cottrell a time trial beast? Did he beat the Curnows last year in PS?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
Isnt Cottrell a time trial beast? Did he beat the Curnows last year in PS?
Correct an aerobic machine but not super fast, he can stay the journey with just about any opponent. Perhaps a long term replacement of Ed is an option in this regard, but I'm not going to claim he hasn't got a long football journey to take before he can be consider as an option.

I suppose the point I'm making when writing about these guys is to not write them off too quickly when they show stuff at VFL level. In my opinion, there are quite a few blokes who a list cloggers and time wasters who cruise through the VFL and disappoint in the AFL, I think those types can do as much team ethic damage as they do on field damage! You know the type, the guys who spend five minutes looking like "Jesus in a Jumper" then go off with a hangnail!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
And IMO the greatest player debut in Carlton's history ... '81 VFL park vs Richmond round 1

That was a a close one between Buzza and Hunter that day.

Reply #94
cottrell,honey dow,philp when is the match committee going to play these yougsters and find out wat we have.

Reply #95
That was a a close one between Buzza and Hunter that day.

And boy, did I give it to their supporters.

Reply #96
And boy, did I give it to their supporters.
 Geez, and don't they cut up worse than perhaps even the Filth supporters. :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
They sure shut up after half time.  Gave it to that sheila Rob Wiley all day ;)

Reply #98
They sure shut up after half time.  Gave it to that sheila Rob Wiley all day ;)
As much as those Ferals cut up, the Filth supporters, even giving it to the Sleepy Hollow Handbaggers as one is prone to do from time to time, or standing on the fringe of the Animal Enclosure in days gone by, I've never really felt unsafe as it was all part of the theatre.

But in the Bullring, surrounded by drugged up CheatsFC supporters, all Bikies, Skinheads and angry angry types in a collared shirt, I've never really felt safe. I think they've been doing as their idols do, and taking in a bit too much Hexarelin! You can't put a collared shirt on a piece of shizen and expect it to be anymore than a piece of shizen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
We had Bolten coaching for the future. Selections for the future. Positioning players for the future. Most supporters weren't happy with that. We were losing and nearly all of our players, senior one's included, have never been part of a successful team.
Coaching and selecting for the future is fine when you have a culture and players that have seen success. Or if you realise success in a reasonable time frame. But our club is devoid of success and we need to be chasing whatever wins we can get. We need to be putting our best side out there every week, maybe rotating new players in and out, but unless injuries dictate, only 1 or 2 of the new guys each week.
The players don't know how to be successful. This shambolic season has allowed them to start to experience a couple of wins and they should be doing everything in the club's power to continue that.

Reply #100
We had Bolten coaching for the future. Selections for the future. Positioning players for the future. Most supporters weren't happy with that. We were losing and nearly all of our players, senior one's included, have never been part of a successful team.
Coaching and selecting for the future is fine when you have a culture and players that have seen success. Or if you realise success in a reasonable time frame. But our club is devoid of success and we need to be chasing whatever wins we can get. We need to be putting our best side out there every week, maybe rotating new players in and out, but unless injuries dictate, only 1 or 2 of the new guys each week.
The players don't know how to be successful. This shambolic season has allowed them to start to experience a couple of wins and they should be doing everything in the club's power to continue that.

Yep.

Thing is, we should be able to cater for both future and now.  Thats why Bolton got the lemon sars.  Too forward looking.

Play your best lineup.  If that involves a kid pressing for selection, or who will be better than your other options, give them a go.  Rotate them through the team, and gradually build up their responsibility until they show they can be a 24/7 footballer.

Not play a lochie Obrien or Paddy Dow until their void of form, confidence and then show ability well below their capability.

Build it up.  We are very fortunate.  We have a batch of ready to go replacements, who have played about 50 senior games of footy at very young ages, and we dont have to rush them in.  They can rotate through the team and understudy for our experienced blokes and hopefully develop an edge to their game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
Thing is, we should be able to cater for both future and now.  Thats why Bolton got the lemon sars.  Too forward looking.
Yes, I tend to agree.

I think it is now obvious that the club wanted some demonstration from BB of progress. They unequivocally put him under the pump to demonstrate something, some wins for example, and he couldn't deliver in the few weeks he was aware of being under that scrutiny.

The fact that Teague took over, and I admit while changing how players were used he did deliver a result, certainly says something that BB couldn't or wouldn't.

I'm not entering into any debates regarding the ethics of this, but it is pretty clear in retrospect it played some part in his demise.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
Team still hasn't been named. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103
WTF is going on with the Teams ....

Reply #104
In DeKoning, Fisher, Cotrell
Out Moore, McKay, Cunningham