Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge 2015 (Read 11979 times) previous topic - next topic

NAB Challenge 2015

New pre-season format again  - Why don't they just start the season and get more games in? could play half the teams twice, which would make it fairer again (maybe based on your area?) Clubs play enough intraclub and if they wanted to organise a competitive practice (friendly) against other opposition they could.

Anyway, thought I would start the thread here as the Blues play West Coast on February 27th at Rushton Park in Mandurah (an hour south of Perth - think Geelong from Melbourne). Nice stadium and surface so no worries there. I have bought tickets to take my 4 year old son to his first ever Carlton game, where he can sit on the hill and watch in a relaxed atmosphere. Pretty happy, the indoctrination is nearly complete.. need to get him sort before he starts school!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Re: NAB Challenge 2015

Reply #1
^^

I hope for your sake that we have an absolute blinder!

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
................. I have bought tickets to take my 4 year old son to his first ever Carlton game, where he can sit on the hill and watch in a relaxed atmosphere. Pretty happy, the indoctrination is nearly complete.. need to get him sort before he starts school!

I have a tip given to me by a friend on how to go about the process.

A 4 year old isn't that interested in footy, so given he has a grass area to move around on the best thing you can do is focus on making the day his ultimate Carlton fun time. You might not get to watch the game but you have to sacrifice the moment for the long term benefit. If your lad remembers that Carlton evening as all good and no bad, regardless of the game, it's outcome or the supporters frame of mind, he will associate "good stuff" with going to "watch Carlton!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
^
There are worrying signs from my elder grandson that he won't be interested in footy or cricket, with Formula 1 and other kinds of motor sport looking likely to be his passion. I have to just work harder with him and this year, try and induce him to some Blues games!  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
I have to just work harder with him and this year, try and induce him to some Blues games!  :o

The best strategy may just be to show games from a brighter period rather than what we dish up. The nephew has already jumped ship...

Reply #5
I have to just work harder with him and this year, try and induce him to some Blues games!  :o

The best strategy may just be to show games from a brighter period rather than what we dish up. The nephew has already jumped ship...

Not a bad idea IOT. His dad barracks for the Lions so I'm already behind the 8 ball.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Yup, the right age to drag the kids along is tricky. I remember my first game, the first half of a practice match at PP. Couldn't see anything, but it was part of the slow indoctrination.
A grass hill is great for a youngster to wriggle about. I took my little boy to the first day of a test match in Hobart when he was just 9 months. It was perfect, as he could sit up and crawl but not yet walk on the grass hill at Bellerive.  AFL footy might have to wait until he is 6 or 7.  A practice game with a hill to sit on is the ideal start for the tots, they have fun and parents don't have to keep them still so they can actually watch some of the game.  End result is the child wants to go again, especially if chips or similar is involved.  Then can graduate to VFL or similar league where a run on the ground during breaks can be had.

Reply #7
Yup I'll be taking my 4 yo to a local game of suburban footy this year, if he actually waches then it's off to the real thing!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
I intend to take my daughters to our 2nd game at QEO against Collingwood. But I'll have to be damn early! The last time we played up in Bendigo there was a huge crowd and 20 000 is not out of the question. How it will fit is another matter entirely.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
I thought it would be great idea to take my 4yo son to his his first Blues game last year. Playing GWS on Sunday afternoon, nice sunny day, very small crowd, a nice big win against a soft opponent, what could possibly go wrong???? >:(

Well I have now spent the last 6 months trying to convince him that we will NOT be switching our family allegiance to the GWS because 'they always win'........

Just remember that first impressions last longest, especially young kids...........

Reply #10
Thanks for the heads up SydneyBluesFan!!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
Cheers mate. Painful memories still, but such is life as a Blues supporters.

If I was you I'd go "all in" and take him to Rd 3 vs the drug cheats. Let him get a taste of the sweetest victory of all!!

If your anything like me though the toughest part is modifying your behaviour and language when watching the Blues with the young bloke!! It's a struggle on a regular basis given our form of late....

Reply #12
Sorry sbf but that's pretty funny  ;D

Reply #13
Cheers mate. Painful memories still, but such is life as a Blues supporters.

If I was you I'd go "all in" and take him to Rd 3 vs the drug cheats. Let him get a taste of the sweetest victory of all!!

If your anything like me though the toughest part is modifying your behaviour and language when watching the Blues with the young bloke!! It's a struggle on a regular basis given our form of late....

Nah I can't help but swear in front of my boy anyway. He knows he can only call me a malaka and no one else so it's all good. In the end as soon as they get to school they'll pick it up anyway.

I do like the 'all in' suggestion, played a lot of poker in my time! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
I thought it would be great idea to take my 4yo son to his his first Blues game last year. Playing GWS on Sunday afternoon, nice sunny day, very small crowd, a nice big win against a soft opponent, what could possibly go wrong???? >:(

Well I have now spent the last 6 months trying to convince him that we will NOT be switching our family allegiance to the GWS because 'they always win'........

Just remember that first impressions last longest, especially young kids...........

Pretty sure my first game was this

http://blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Round+2,+1993