Skip to main content
Topic: Will it stand up? (Read 53234 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will it stand up?

Reply #15
Can't comment on it myself as I only heard the last little bit of the game plus the commentary afterwards. Don't want to use the R word but they definitely noted a difference. Now I don't know if it will stack up but a style which renders us hapless against Melbourne vs one that causes better opposition headaches with just sticking to their plan has to be better.

Geez, I reckon Mick would be sitting on 5 wins with us if he hadn't thrown out his playbook

Reply #16
Attacking play on at every opportunity style is better through the middle and will hold up vs the midpack to weak teams but the extra pressure from the quality teams will cause turn overs,kicking errors and the good teams will punish us.

Also Henderson and Waite wont get two weaker opponents that Will Young and Tom Williams...they both made Rowe look like quality.

I reamin umconvinced untill we can beat some quality...

Reply #17
Will it Stand up against better sides? I don't know, but better to tweak this current game plan than try and introduce something completely different.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
We won't play like that every week, that was so different to 80% of MM coached games, early on going inboard across the HBF, through the corridor to one on ones, long kicks out defence to fast break contests. These are all the things MM would normally be going postal over!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Hopefully MM has swallowed his pride and uses a horses for courses type of approach from here on. The playing group have backed him, time for him to allow them to play to their strengths from time to time. I still have concerns about our defensive model when we come up against a quality forward structure which the Dogs are far from.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #20
Absolutely kidding yourself if you never noticed the difference yesterday.

There was a balance though and the guys with the freedom to run and play on, was made the safer options when they did choose wide. Early on we went all the way down the outer side and murph centered it into hendo 1on1. But we moved it quick and played.

Will it stand up Lods...

Ratts showed that it didnt. But we also had some guys get down and dirty yesterday. Protected Murph and the ball winners.

If... And this Is a big if... Mick can put his ego to one side and get the side to temper it's attacking tendencies with two way running and hardness around the contest, then yes it will stand up. This was my hope with Mick when he came across. Build on Ratts good work but instill his defensive game
Styles to a Group of front runners.

18 months to late but better late than never.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #21
Now having had the chance to watch all the game, we certainly didn't look down the line as a first option. Cut inboard more often and earlier (ie. not take it all the way to the fwd 50 before crossing in). 

To answer the question I think if 22 players on field run like they did it would stand up, however against the bigger/harder teams I think they will need to tweak the game.   For mick to say nothing changed is BS.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #22
For the first time this year we played four quarters of football and we didn't concede more than 3 goals in a row at any stage of the game. Playing that style there's always the chance you'll concede a few in a row, the main thing is to continue to attack, and I think we did that for the majority of he game. Very entertaining football.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
I think to make this style more effective we have to be at least capable of playing the other way and vice versa.

Then we need to nurture the players into growing the game sense to use one plan vs the other.

Watching the Hawks vs Geelong, and these two teams should be the benchmark we are aiming for.  Both can play quick and slow.  Both can use the corridor both can play the wings and up the line.  Both can press both can absorb pressure and counter.

These guys tend to know when to play which way and this is something that makes the difference between winning and losing particularly on grand final day.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Our style of play I mean ;)

The way we played yesterday seems to suit our playing group...and they seem to enjoy the "freedom of expression"....but there was also an intensity and pressure there as well.

Brendan McCartney wasn't impressed......

"The game was way too open, it was circle work, it was up and back, and that's not what we're about.

"I don't think any team wants to play like that
, and we're no different.

"It was a tricky one today. A lot of our boys, we felt, just got caught between, 'Do I attack or do I defend?’ Once you second-guess yourself and hesitate, it's gone.

"There was about a 30-minute patch in the game where we got caught in that nasty zone."

The questions are ....
Mick said he didn't change much yesterday.....What was different?
Did we catch them unexpectedly...there was talk all week we'd play a more free flowing brand of football?
How will it go against the stronger sides of the comp..... Hawthorns and Geelongs?
One word Lods, Confidence. Like the "bad" was infectious the previous 4 weeks, the "good" was contagious yesterday. We didn't play 4 solid qtrs yesterday. If we can learn to do the "good" things we did yesterday week in week out, I think our best can trouble anyone. Its minimising the gap or roller coaster between our good and bad thats the key.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2014-04-20/cfc-tv-malthouse-post-match-r5

During the post-match press conference, Malthouse was asked about the gameplan at 4:57 :

Reporter : "Did you tinker with the gameplan at all during the week or were you guys .... ? "

MM : "NO (talking over the reporter), not one inch".

Surely the players went into a different flight-plan for this match, it was way different to anything else we've seen this year ?? 

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #26

During the post-match press conference, Malthouse was asked about the gameplan at 4:57 :

Reporter : "Did you tinker with the gameplan at all during the week or were you guys .... ? "

Surely the players went into a different flight-plan for this match, it was way different to anything else we've seen this year ??

Of course. You'd be wise to believe a very small amount of what Mick says. As MBB has said, clubs lie all the time. And Mick is at the top of the mountain in this respect.

Reply #27

Cause and effect.

As i said before. Did we play differently because the game plan changed or did we play differently because the bulldogs forced us too.

A simplistic version of the game plan is as follows....
Unless there is  someone clear by themselves in the centre of the ground, always go along the boundary to 50-50 contests.

Now up until now, the centre has been rarely free. So we follow the boundary line. Bulldogs may have over compensated and tried to cut us off along leaving the centre open which we took advantage of.

Just because we played a little different doesn't mean the gameplan actually changed.

Reply #28
We clearly moved it through the middle from the start, always looked to play on, ALWAYS looked inboard first. Blokes like Gibbs were getting the ball forward of centre but in or around the corridor and we looked way more dangerous.

Summed up perfectly PI2C. Most attractive footy we've played this year and clearly the most effective. Mightn't work against every team, but reckon we could've done with it against Melbourne.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #29
@ Krudd RE Cause and Effect
But Krudd don't you think some of that was also caused by our increased run and spread this week? I felt we definitely ran a lot harder this week and created our own opportunities.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time