Skip to main content
Topic: Re-Tooling a team starts at defence. (Read 6714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-Tooling a team starts at defence.

All ball sports preach defence first and foremost. There's a saying that the best offence is a good defence and so on.

I've heard that you get your best ball users and decision makers behind the in soccer (happy to be corrected by our round ball followers on here)

With this in mind why are we trying to change Henderson into a forward? He could be an AA CHB, he teams beautifully with Jameson who seems more confident down back with Lachie than he current running mate in Rowe. Sure he's good to have up forward but when we don't win the ball Henderson is near useless and only kicked two garbage goals against Collingwood. I used to love Hendo with the ball at the back of the square, bauk his kick and run and extra 15m giving our forwards motion as they were running to get to another position following the extra ground gained.

Malthouse has flagged a rebuild so why not start by solidifying our back 6.

Henderson and Jameson are the two pillars that we should start with. Third tall is just as important at the moment White is battling and McInness is in the dog house. I hope we see a bit of Giles.

Buckley has given us a glimpse of his ability, while still young and light he has shown enough to be stencilled into the back half. Docherty in his first game showed glimpses of what may come, his kicking was very good, his hands were sure and decision making was also good, plus his pace looked good.

I'd like to see a back half of

Buckley, Jameson, White/McInness
Docherty Henderson Touhy/Giles after the bye.

Re: Re-Tooling a team starts at defence.

Reply #1
Other than White/McInnes that's actually a good looking backline with players like Yarran and Walker freed up to play on a wing or a HFF. Laidler would slot nicely into that left back position. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
There's a saying that the best offence is a good defence and so on.

Isn't it the other way around? :P

I'd like to see a smart reliable footballer back there. One who beats their man more often than not and knows how to help out a team mate. Hendo can play that role and Laidler was pretty good at it but I think that's about it.

Jamo is a 50/50 at popping his shoulder at any contest and is more of a one-on-one guy. Walker shouldn't be there but like Yarran is an attacking option. 2E is tough as nails and a nice kick but doesn't have the ability to hold a backline together.

I too would like to see a changing of the guard and have Buckley (who is just doing an apprenticeship until moving to the middle) and Docherty hold down those spots. LEss said about White/McInnes the btter.

Reply #3
Laidler would slot nicely into that left back position. :P

Nice  :))

Actuall can I rebuild my rebuild.

Buckley, Jameson, White/Giles
Docherty Henderson Touhy/Yarran after the bye.

I don't know how I forgot Yarran as I think he plays best off half back

Reply #4
Jamo is a 50/50 at popping his shoulder at any contest and is more of a one-on-one guy. Walker shouldn't be there but like Yarran is an attacking option. 2E is tough as nails and a nice kick but doesn't have the ability to hold a backline together.

Good points. If we can iron out these little things the back line can look much stronger. We need to start treating Jamo like Waite IMO. may be a little premature but he is made of glass and if he gets a good run its considered a luxury for the team.

Reply #5
We need to find an uncompromising KPD who can act as our backline general and someone we could build the remainder of our defence around. This has been said for many a long year - we need to give Jamo some back up and reinforcement. I think White and Rowe have started to do this to an extent but we really need someone better than those two for the key role. Watson has not yet demonstrated that he could fill that role either (by a long way) and looks like back up material only for the defence at this stage.

IMO we have much bigger problems with our midfield which, if fixed, would take a lot of pressure of our defence.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
I assume Cookie you are leaning towards the need for Frawley. He could fill your need while we develop another over the next few seasons.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7
I assume Cookie you are leaning towards the need for Frawley. He could fill your need while we develop another over the next few seasons.

Mants, I would be very happy with that move, at the right price of course.

Reply #8

Good points. If we can iron out these little things the back line can look much stronger. We need to start treating Jamo like Waite IMO. may be a little premature but he is made of glass and if he gets a good run its considered a luxury for the team.

But we overlook one very important point?

It's not the 6 guys in the back line, it's the (as a generalisation) the total lack of defensive pressure applied by the mids, wings, half forwards etc. when the dice don't roll our way.

We concede so many cheap, easy goals and it's seldom the back 3 or 6's fault.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Amen.... the only times defence is at fault are (1) outmarked one on one and (2) clanger disposals.   And with (1)... sometimes the other bloke is simply better.  Most goals are the result of mistakes and lapses in concentration IMO. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
The term defense wins championships exists for a reason.

Ask Liverpool how they feel about their premiership forwardline, after their "slip up" against Chelsea.

AS a Liverpool supporter, I know all too well about it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11

Ask Liverpool how they feel about their premiership forwardline, after their "slip up" against Chelsea.

As a Chelsea supporter I agree.... :)

Henderson at CHB is where I would play him ....

Jamo is about cooked IMO and we need another Fullback.....every week Jamo seems to hit the deck and do his shoulder but stays on the park
but I think we need to get a younger FB who can last the journey until we can challenge again......
Woudnt mind stealing David Astbury from Richmond and paying them back for Grigg....

Reply #12

The term "defense" or "defence", depending on your preference, means more than just the back six, or whatever the equivalent number is in that other game with the round ball. It means what all of your players do when the opposition has the ball to stop them from doing something with it and to get it back asap.