Skip to main content
Topic: Our Inability to Win Close Games (Read 18430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Our Inability to Win Close Games

Reply #45
You may find these numbers are not unusual through the competition.

Our performance across the game has gotten better. I can't really recall 6 goal runs against us for a while

Reply #46
That's a good point... how many games have we lost in the recent past where a  side has gotten on a roll and blown us away in about 15 minutes... the swans this year was one, can't think of too many more.

They (MM?) have clearly arrested this side of things.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
One of the things I reckon they have arrested is the leaking of goals in junk time of qtrs 1, 2 and 3. This used to crap me to tears.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Once we start winning a few of these close ones, we'll get better at doing it.
However:
[1] Our decision making under pressure and skills need the most work. Docherty especially often kicks the ball on the full near the end of games, something he doesn't do so much earlier. Nor is he alone. Wood's kick from defence, had it been bouncier or considerably longer, would have been a winner. As it was, it was almost the worst possible option.
[2] Picking the right option will get better, but needs to be addressed. Sheehan, for example, couldn't quite kick the ball the way Sam Rowe needed it with about 1 minute to spare. It might have been a good option, but it wasn't optimum: Rowe was 1 against 3. Sheehan will learn.
[3] Confidence: Geelong believe they will win close ones. It is our job to get to the point where WE believe. Then we will give those felines a good spaying.
[4] Fitness: quite a number of our guys don't quite play out the game. Tom Bell is one noticeable case, especially as one of his strengths is his running. Judd is another, with no real surprise considering his injuries. A lot of our guys are in the same boat. If we have that extra bit of fitness, we can handle things that bit better and we only need to be a little bit better.
[5] A more even contribution: we often have a number of guys who don't have much of the ball. If they can lift just a few percent, then we win contests that could be the difference.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
I have never been Mick's biggest fan but the team is progressing nicely I will admit. It also seems like a more genuine improvement rather than a quick few game win streak and then down again.

The wins would have been good but I think the fact we are prepared to fight and battle right to the end is what is most pleasing and this was one of the main issues previously. I think the wins will come but having the right mentality week in week out at this stage is most important.

The players also seem to now have had a light bulb moment and have realised what it takes to be a good team, a sign of better leadership and responsibility taken by all.

Even heard a couple of the boys mention how next season has already started as Mick has told them and that you cant expect to just turn off and rock up next year hoping everyone is a better player and we are a better team. This I think has been one of the cultural and mental shifts Mick was brought in for and seems we are getting somewhere now.

Reply #50
^^ The fact that it has taken this long to shake the apathy out of them speaks for why we really need to think hard about signing Mick up for a +1 in order to release the pressure and ensure the club stays "united".

It could be very easy for them to switch back into self preservation mode next season, and we should look to prevent the pressure cooker from blowing up in our faces.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
The wins would have been good but I think the fact we are prepared to fight and battle right to the end is what is most pleasing and this was one of the main issues previously. I think the wins will come but having the right mentality week in week out at this stage is most important.

That's it for me too. We just need to do this for two more rounds and I believe we are building some serious momentum going into 2015, but we can't let it slip now.

@Thry

I totally understand where you're coming from but I don't think Mick is under any pressure at all ATM, side is progressing well, Judd has backed him in, the media (and blokes like me) have shut up. I still say we at least wait until the first 8 rounds of next year just to be sure, we can't afford to do another Pagan.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52
I'd be disappointed if we even began negotiating before the start of next season. I think the chances of him being poached are extremely low and of we sign him and we drop the first 4 again it would be a disaster.

I'm happy we've stopped the slide but it would be silly to forget the past, it was 6 weeks ago we were a junk list and in reality what we're seeing now is probably the absolute worst we were expecting out of the team when Mick was signed up. Expectations have been put so low that just not heading south is a feat?

Reply #53
^^ The fact that it has taken this long to shake the apathy out of them speaks for why we really need to think hard about signing Mick up for a +1 in order to release the pressure and ensure the club stays "united".

It could be very easy for them to switch back into self preservation mode next season, and we should look to prevent the pressure cooker from blowing up in our faces.

I'm with you there Thryleon, I would still like to see some results next year before commiting any further with Mick.

Reply #54
I think Thry is for giving him an extension now JCVD. :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55
Im actually on the fence about it.

Hence why I stated think hard about it.

This group has proven that they will play dead if it suits an agenda of getting rid of a coach.  By extending Malthouse we remove that possibility and ensure the team stays focussed on the job at hand.

Malthouse may or may not be the answer.  Judd's return to the team has had as much an influence in our turning fortunes, along with the elevation of Wood in place of Warnock.  For that side of things you would need to be closer to the club to really know whether or not we are on the right track, and I would hope that the methodology applied, and the direction should be enough to solidify whether or not the extension happens now or next season regardless of the wins and losses.  Sport is fickle.  Some of our close ones have proven that results are not the end all and be all, but rather the process.  Once you have the process right, the results should follow in time.  Some will ask how long, but thats not the right question.  Its loaded from the wrong perspective.  The answer is, as long as it takes.  You dont achieve something solely focussing on the result, and usually the size of the task generally dictates your time frame.

I wouldnt be surprised with an extension happening now.  Particularly if the playing group needs it, and in fact, I would hope it was +1 currently on reduced dollars.  That way it takes the pressure out of it, and leaves them all focussing on the task at hand.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Players know coaching contracts mean nothing past the 2nd year though Thry.