Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21 Carlton vs Geelong (aftermatch aftermath) (Read 23057 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 21 Carlton vs Geelong (aftermatch aftermath)

Reply #45
noticing a lot of love for Carrots in the CSC voting......

Personally thought he was terrific in the 2nd half after being abysmal in the first half. Selwood creamed him early but fought back hard later. Good effort but vote worthy?????  Not so sure. :-\
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #46

Personally thought he was terrific in the 2nd half after being abysmal in the first half. Selwood creamed him early but fought back hard later. Good effort but vote worthy?????  Not so sure. :-\

Mick said much the same in his presser regarding 1st half v 2nd half performance.

Didn't he hold Selwood to 4 touches in the second half ? I could be wrong.

Reply #47
Yes
Geelong have bigger stronger bodies than ours
Thats a major reason why we get injured

A major reason we get injured is because we don't do the stuff clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn do. We don't fall across blokes deliberately when we tackle them, we don't bury knees or elbows into opponents on the ground, we don't cripple opponents in marking contests, we don't make ourselves "tough to play against", we are getting better at being tough but we are still miles away from the top two or three!

In general, we spend too much time being nice blokes who play the ball! We think if we offer this type of respect we will get it in return, we are naive!

Did you notice some of those dog acts from the likes of Enright, Kelly and Varcoe last night? Real low acts, gutter acts, but then this is the team that thinks stomping on a blokes hand when he is on the ground is acceptable! ;)

It's why Simon White needs to play every week.

That smashing of Selwood is something that needs to happen in the first 5 minutes every time he ducks his head.

Smash it like a pumpkin.!!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #48
With the kicking of Yarran last night, I just wonder if he had a jab to cope with his calf? He messed up too many kicks for there not to be reason.

Didn't mess up the goal from 50 after running the previous 50 and burning off Varcoe who's one of the fastest players in the league.  Fantastic goal. THAT'S how you [should] beat Geelong.

- however -

I went purple with rage when he went to ground after that 1 on 1 marking contest in the last q. 
So he's never going to the hard in and under type player. I accept that. But he's done exactly the same thing at a crucial stage in a previous game last year.  FFS, all he has to do is steel himself, bring it to ground, and keep his feet. No-one's gonna catch him if he can do that.  Then, after that marking contest, he limps around like a kid showing his Dad watching on the fence that he's injured.  ::)
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #49
Let's hear it for the non-controlling umpire ...
---------------------------------------------------------

The AFL admits a decisive free kick that helped Geelong pip Carlton on Friday night was incorrect.

The Blues held the lead for most of the second half at Etihad Stadium, only to hand it over with three minutes remaining when Allen Christensen kicked the match winner.

The non-controlling umpire, stationed approximately 50m away from the ball, awarded the decisive free kick to Christensen.

Umpires boss Hayden Kennedy admitted on Saturday it was wrong for Brendan Hosking to penalise Sam Docherty's crucial spoil.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #50

The AFL admits a decisive free kick that helped Geelong pip Carlton on Friday night was incorrect.

The Blues held the lead for most of the second half at Etihad Stadium, only to hand it over with three minutes remaining when Allen Christensen kicked the match winner.

The non-controlling umpire, stationed approximately 50m away from the ball, awarded the decisive free kick to Christensen.

Umpires boss Hayden Kennedy admitted on Saturday it was wrong for Brendan Hosking to penalise Sam Docherty's crucial spoil.

They admitted an error the last time we played them when Menzel had his head pulled off near the goal square. Now they admit another one. Add that to the umpire mauling we got against Brisbane ( we should bet Brisbane anyway,but still....) and we've lost 3 games directly as a result of late umpire errors. That stuff is the difference between being 13th and being on the tip end of the 8. Add that to dumb losses against , Richmond, Melbourne and GWS and with luck and, alot better commitment early on in the year, and what a difference this season is.

Reply #51
Spot on cookie.

We are simply not good enough

Delist the hacks and plodders

x2...Really thought we could win this one and its the most dissapointing loss of the season IMO and I dont see it so positive as others.
We needed to win this to stamp some authority going into next season and all I can see is Armfields kicking straight to a Geelong player and Caddy taking that pack mark
that he should enver have been allowed to grab and its always small mistakes that cost us and we need to get rid of the repeat offenders who let us down during the critical moments.
No Judd after 2015 and we need a player to step up next season and be the man Judd has been......

Reply #52

This happens all too often, and not only to us. Cockhead umpires trying to make heros of themselves at critical stages of games. Well AFAIC apology NOT accepted, just get this crape out of our game, it's a blight!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53

They admitted an error the last time we played them when Menzel had his head pulled off near the goal square. Now they admit another one. Add that to the umpire mauling we got against Brisbane ( we should bet Brisbane anyway,but still....) and we've lost 3 games directly as a result of late umpire errors. That stuff is the difference between being 13th and being on the tip end of the 8. Add that to dumb losses against , Richmond, Melbourne and GWS and with luck and, alot better commitment early on in the year, and what a difference this season is.

Add in kruezers injury Thomas lack of preseason narrow loses to Freo and hawks and I tell you what we are top 2 material!  ???

Reply #54
Spot on cookie.

We are simply not good enough

Delist the hacks and plodders

x2...Really thought we could win this one and its the most dissapointing loss of the season IMO and I dont see it so positive as others.
We needed to win this to stamp some authority going into next season and all I can see is Armfields kicking straight to a Geelong player and Caddy taking that pack mark
that he should enver have been allowed to grab and its always small mistakes that cost us and we need to get rid of the repeat offenders who let us down during the critical moments.
No Judd after 2015 and we need a player to step up next season and be the man Judd has been......

We don't run out of interchange bench we win. We went in undermanned anyway. Even then it took a terrible umpiring decision to beat us. There's now substance in our footy for the first time since 2000. It'll get better next year. Just hope we keep Waite.

We won't be replacing Judd. You don't just replace that type of class.

Reply #55

I think you'll find Nick Graham was on Selwood for a good part of the first quarter.

Carrazzo's second half was enormous not just because of Selwood's stats. One of the commentators mentioned how he would go with Selwood at the stoppages but that's where it ended. Carrazzo gave Selwood a lesson in clearances with eight, the most of any player on the night with six of them being centre clearances where he was head to head with Selwood (Selwood had one centre clearance for the game) along with an 87.5% disposal efficiency for his 32 touches.. All this whilst keeping Selwood out of the game and working hard to expose him the other way. I've said it before Carrazzo does not tag, he plays on his man and backs himself to beat him to the ball. When he's up and running he's nigh on impossible to beat. An extremely underrated player and another that looks like he has another season left in the tank.

BB I saw you gave Gibbs 10? I thought he cost us dearly with two poor skill errors under little pressure. He had a 52% disposal efficiency. Don't get me wrong he was still really good but not head and shoulders above others. IMO. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #56
An apology from the umpires is a but screwinglate when you've been done by a late goal.  AGAIN.  Anybody else notice a theme here?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #57
An apology from the umpires is a but screwinglate when you've been done by a late goal.  AGAIN.  Anybody else notice a theme here?

As we said at the game, the AFL obviously want Geelong in the top 4 - thinking of gate receipts in the finals series?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58
So ump's come out and admit mistake.    Just dig the knife in deeper why don't you. 

Reply #59

I think you'll find Nick Graham was on Selwood for a good part of the first quarter.

Carrazzo's second half was enormous not just because of Selwood's stats. One of the commentators mentioned how he would go with Selwood at the stoppages but that's where it ended. Carrazzo gave Selwood a lesson in clearances with eight, the most of any player on the night with six of them being centre clearances where he was head to head with Selwood (Selwood had one centre clearance for the game) along with an 87.5% disposal efficiency for his 32 touches.. All this whilst keeping Selwood out of the game and working hard to expose him the other way. I've said it before Carrazzo does not tag, he plays on his man and backs himself to beat him to the ball. When he's up and running he's nigh on impossible to beat. An extremely underrated player and another that looks like he has another season left in the tank.

BB I saw you gave Gibbs 10? I thought he cost us dearly with two poor skill errors under little pressure. He had a 52% disposal efficiency. Don't get me wrong he was still really good but not head and shoulders above others. IMO. ;)
selwood killed us in the first half when Curnow was running with him I thought.

In any case, Carrazzo's work both on Selwood and on the ball was a major reason we got so close to winning.

Clearly bog. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson