Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide in Adelaide on Friday (Read 31480 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide in Adelaide on Friday

Reply #45
That said I absolutely want to take a look at how we go for the first half of next year before we re-sign him. Anything else would be plain stupid.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #46
If we win this, or even go close, I'm officially on the MM bandwagon.  ;D ;D

How long until Carrots says that? :)

I'm already on! I said a few weeks back when Juddy endorsed the direction the club was going that that was enough for me.

8)
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #47

I'm already on! I said a few weeks back when Juddy endorsed the direction the club was going that that was enough for me.

Yeah, it was no small thing that endorsement for Judd.

Reply #48

Not me.    I want to see results before I endorse MM.    Results speak louder than words.   Will give him 6 months.   ;D

Reply #49
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-08-19/blues-might-call-on-kreuzer

Matthew Kreuzer is a chance to return to Carlton’s senior side for Friday night’s clash with Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval.

Carlton’s injury toll means several team changes will be necessary, with Brock McLean (calf) and David Ellard (ankle) both ruled out, while Dale Thomas (knee) and Troy Menzel (shoulder) remain in doubt after leaving the ground injured against the Cats.

Andrew McInnes, Kane Lucas, Patrick Cripps and Matthew Watson are among those in contention for selection, while untried recruit Nick Holman could be in the mix to make his debut.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Thomas and Menzel- "in doubt"

They're not serious are they? ::)

Even if by some miracle they're not as bad as first suspected why would you even think of playing them.

Reply #51

Matthew Kreuzer is a chance to return to Carlton’s senior side for Friday night’s clash with Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval.

Carlton’s injury toll means several team changes will be necessary, with Brock McLean (calf) and David Ellard (ankle) both ruled out, while Dale Thomas (knee) and Troy Menzel (shoulder) remain in doubt after leaving the ground injured against the Cats.

Andrew McInnes, Kane Lucas, Patrick Cripps and Matthew Watson are among those in contention for selection, while untried recruit Nick Holman could be in the mix to make his debut.

Seems silly to play MK if you ask me.  Let him run around  cruising in the two's for rest of the year.

Reply #52
Club playing funny buggers by putting the idea out there.

Reply #53

Would have had Cieran Byrne ahead of a couple of those blokes...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54

Seems silly to play MK if you ask me.  Let him run around  cruising in the two's for rest of the year.

Can I ask why?

I get the notion that somehow protecting Kreuzer from AFL football will stop him from getting injured, but is the VFL any more or less likely a place to get injured?

I would have thought the brand spanking new, hardly played on Adelaide Oval would have been a better place to test him out than most VFL surfaces.

I also understand the notion of protecting a player and it seems counter intuitive to me to play at VFL over AFL level in order to protect them.  He may not be ready for a full season of AFL football, but surely he should be okay to play 2 rounds else he wouldnt be playing at all?  The VFL is supposedly a tougher competition with more thugs, and less soft protection by the umpires due to the lack of scrutiny on the comp and possibly inferior (debateable) ability of umpiring.

I suppose Im from a different school of thought.  For me, if he wasnt ready to play he wouldnt have played VFL football at all.  If he is ready to play and frankly based on his stats, he had a pretty good individual game last week, he could very well be ready to play AFL this week.  If I were the coach the only question mark I would have over him would be his ability to play four quarters and what factor fatigue would be in causing a recurrent injury.  Given it wasnt soft tissue but structural this is less of a factor here and thinking about what else is available, and what everyone else has been doing plus the very real possibility that we have 4 spots open this week (at least 3 including Ellard, Thomas and Menzel) then I would have thought if Kreuzer feels good, and ready to play that there would be no real reason to keep him out aside from the fear factor.  For me the fear of injury is no reason to not play unless its a very real probability that you wont play the game out well enough based on that injury.  Given its not soft tissue, then if he isnt right to go this week odds are he never will be he could very well play this week, and if not this week, we will rehash this discussion next week as he will play seniors by seasons end.  Im pretty sure that this will happen.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
I wouldn't play him at all
The seasons shot.
We've really nothing to gain with him struggling through a couple of "nothing" matches.
A team with Kreuzer, Wood and Casboult seems a bit unbalanced.

Let him have a good pre-season and come back fresh for what could be a genuine crack at a good season next year

Reply #56
There is little point in risking Kreuzer so late in the season when there is very little to be gained from it.

If people believe he needs more game time, then let him play in the seconds for the remainder of the year.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #57
The seasons shot.
We've really nothing to gain with him struggling through a couple of "nothing" matches.

Let him have a good pre-season and come back fresh for what could be a genuine crack at a good season next year

If the club thinks Casboult and Waite are walking, then perhaps they are going to test the options in their absence.

Maybe Wood playing the Casboult role and Kreuzer or Warnock in the ruck?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
The seasons shot.

@Lods, why would he be struggling through a couple of nothing matches?

This would be as good a part of getting him ready for next year as anything else.

Can you imagine the amount of nervous energy he will carry into round one next year, and over pre season if he doesnt get the AFL "debut" monkey off the back? 
Will he be more focussed and confident of his future after having gotten a game of AFL level football under his belt this year and therefore reap potentially greater rewards from pre season?

Will he be significantly more or less likely to be injured by playing this week?

If the answer to the above is to not play him, by all means dont play him, but what REASON do we keep him out for?

Id rather his selection be based on how he is feeling, vs whether or not he has earned a callup, and treat him like a fit player.  If he looks, feels and gives you the okay, you put the responsibility of whether or not he gets injured on him, rather than the club, and that can only be a good thing whether it works out or not.  You only get one shot at making a career out of it, and you would want to live or die by your own sword.  Wouldnt you?

At the end of the day, Kreuzer knows best.  If he is ready to play, he is ready to play, if he isnt ready to play, then put him on ice.  This could very well be his last chance at making a proper career out of it, and another injury could see him retire sighting injury as his resons.  Would he rather go out after an AFL game, or would he rather retire after a pre season and failure to get going again?  If I were him, I would focus on my ability to play football, fitness, recovery and if that means being ready to play and getting an opportunity to play and grasping it, so be it.  We need Kreuzer to come up, fit well and firing and I dont want to hold my breathe waiting for it if its not necessary.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
The only reason I see for playing Kruezer in the last few games is perhaps for the kids own confidence. He has been battered from pillar to post injury wise, he himself probably wants to get a few games under the belt and go into the preseason knowing he can still play the game and his body is right.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time