Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 38845 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #75
I feel ripped off paying $30 for GA ticket on the hill.

I left at three quarter time with a port supporting mate to hit the pub for a catchup beer. Neither of us enjoyed the one sidedness of last night one bit.

But yep, AO is a great venue indeed. World class.

Next time the Blues come to SA, ffs bring your A game lads. Please.

Reply #76
Im sorry but loooking at our list we are deplorable in the mid-depth dept, genuine mids that is, who have mongrel, poise and skill.

-Bell
-McLean
-Ellard
-Carrazzo
-Robinson
-Curnow
-Cachia
-Armfield
-Lucas
-Temay

That is 10 AFL Carlton listed footballers who are ball carriers, flankers, mids, whatever you want to call them. Skills are woeful. It's embarrassing!

Then you have guys like - McInnes, Watson, Warnock. Give us zero!!

Then there is a half-backer in Walker coughing up the ball time and time again. Turn-over merchant. Play him forward or trade him!

Casboult and Waite ordinary kicks for goal - kick ands hope types. Got strengths such as marking but really are not the be all and end all. Waite should be let go IMO. Casboult I'd rather keep than let go but I don't want us couhging up overs for him. Fair but not bent over ala past years and contracts!

Then there's - Duigan (gone), Bootsma (gone), Scotland (gone).

We are playing with half a list IMO, it's a park team/list!

Nailed it Pratty.....problem being though we cant delist or trade that many players(no one will want them anyway).
I'd keep Casboult and employ the best kicking coach in the country to straighten that action out...a curved appraoch witha two handed ball drop is about as bad as it gets.

Been a fan of Tom Bell but he just hasnt developed ..Juddy has been mentoring him and the kid has learned nothing, had the one big game where he kicked 4 goals but generally his kicking is woeful, decision making poor  and if he wasnt a good tackler and big bodied he would be at Cramer street most of the year kicking the dew of the grass...
Curnow at least gives some application and concentration., doesnt have the talent of Bell but the latter just dozes off for parts of games and is useless for too many long periods ....

Temay...dont get me started on Rodgers..WTF he was thinking when he called his name out I dont know...

Reply #79
Do we attribute the loss of Daisy's leadership to the blow-out and cue in rack?

Yes hasn't been in rampant form, but I reckon players like him can help drive a teams endeavour when it starts to get flat.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80

Yes hasn't been in rampant form, but I reckon players like him can help drive a teams endeavour when it starts to get flat.
Maybe. I've heard worse theories. Daisy can say many things about his season, and so can we, but at no time have we questioned his courage or his commitment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81

Maybe. I've heard worse theories. Daisy can say many things about his season, and so can we, but at no time have we questioned his courage or his commitment.

Taking one faint positive from that, if Daisy comes good next year it'll be like having a newly minted  quality mid in our ranks. He could be extremely important for us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
That's what we paid for. Let's hope it comes to fruition for us.

Reply #83
I dont think Daisy's leadership would have had much effect last night.....he would have been under the pump chasing Port Ar$e all evening and would have offered little in terms of direction etc. We needed a big like Jonothan Brown to lead us into battle and rally the troops....some one our kids like Holman , Johnson etc could know they could count on Brown to deliver the big plays and lead from the front. Murphy tries but lacks support and gets targetted himself ,our kids got intimidated, panicked, lose focus and we lost our nerve at times, game plans go out the door when you are rattled....Daisy wasnt going to fix any of that.

Reply #84
I haven't seen the game and I'm not going to bother with the replay.  However, as I sit here sipping an Aussie wine and contemplating the Moray Firth, I can't help but wonder about our apparent inability to run out the game. 

Yes, we had a hard game last week but did Port have a bye?  We're supposed to have the fitness guru in Buttifant but clearly something is wrong if the team can't run out a game in the home and away season.

I wonder if we'll go to Arizona in the pre-season
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
I haven't seen the game and I'm not going to bother with the replay.  However, as I sit here sipping an Aussie wine and contemplating the Moray Firth, I can't help but wonder about our apparent inability to run out the game. 

Yes, we had a hard game last week but did Port have a bye?  We're supposed to have the fitness guru in Buttifant but clearly something is wrong if the team can't run out a game in the home and away season.

We couldn't even run out the first quarter.
We were totally outclassed and it had little to do with fitness but more with a lack of intensity, desire....all those other relevant things.
We had young players and injured players and they were close to full strength.
It was just a disaster that's best put behind us....and certainly not worth watching again (unless you're involved in list management ;))

Reply #86

Daisy would have been exposed just like every other player. I am yet to see any acts of leadership that stand out from him (ie Murphy running back to take mark, Gibbs kicking big goals late in games, Carrazzo turning the game vs Selwood). What he is doing behind closed doors I can't judge him on but going by his form this year he would have been swallowed up and spat out.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #87

Funny, 3 Leos, the same thought crossed my mind. Already without the on-field leadership of Hendo, then to lose two very extroverted leaders/players in Daisy and Brock and then losing the impressively improving Murphy early saw the on-field leadership fall to Simmo (who was targetted), Juddy (who must have had the flu) and Carrazzo. Not the cause of our loss, but certainly a strong contributor to the manner in which we folded.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #88
I dont think Daisy's leadership would have had much effect last night.....he would have been under the pump chasing Port Ar$e all evening and would have offered little in terms of direction etc. We needed a big like Jonothan Brown to lead us into battle and rally the troops....some one our kids like Holman , Johnson etc could know they could count on Brown to deliver the big plays and lead from the front. Murphy tries but lacks support and gets targetted himself ,our kids got intimidated, panicked, lose focus and we lost our nerve at times, game plans go out the door when you are rattled....Daisy wasnt going to fix any of that.
There was an opportunity to change the game Friday night and it was not taken. When Murph turned it over and then got knocked over by a PA player, WW3 should have started by our blokes running in from everywhere. A few PA players would have been sat on there asses and perhaps changes their attitude abit. Instead, they intimidated us all night and the game was over.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89

The Club has stated Arizona is not happening this year, we are training in the Australian heat. Thank fork for that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time