Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 38844 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #90
I haven't seen the game and I'm not going to bother with the replay.  However, as I sit here sipping an Aussie wine and contemplating the Moray Firth, I can't help but wonder about our apparent inability to run out the game. 

Yes, we had a hard game last week but did Port have a bye?  We're supposed to have the fitness guru in Buttifant but clearly something is wrong if the team can't run out a game in the home and away season.

I wonder if we'll go to Arizona in the pre-season

We couldn't even run out the first quarter.
We were totally outclassed and it had little to do with fitness but more with a lack of intensity, desire....all those other relevant things.
We had young players and injured players and they were close to full strength.
It was just a disaster that's best put behind us....and certainly not worth watching again (unless you're involved in list management ;))

We effectively had one of sports top fitness gurus in Cordy and he was flicked for Buttifant. I realise Buttifant is a good mate of MM, and that he has had some tragedy in his life, but friendships and bad luck should not be part of the decision making!

Go to Final Siren and look at our last quarter stats for the last few years, we have gone backwards massively!

Summary(4th Quarters);
                W   D    L       For              Against        %
2014 4th   10   0   11   69.50 (464)   66.81 (477)   97.27
2013 4th   13   0   11   81.84 (570)   69.79 (493)   115.62
2012 4th   12   1   9   83.72 (570)   66.54 (450)   126.67
2011 4th   13   2   9   95.73 (643)   74.61 (505)   127.33
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Yeah I guess Mick can turn the team around as much as he wants, we will still be left with the boys club leftovers ie Daisy and Buttifant, both still yet to prove their worth.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #92
I haven't seen the game and I'm not going to bother with the replay.  However, as I sit here sipping an Aussie wine and contemplating the Moray Firth, I can't help but wonder about our apparent inability to run out the game. 

Yes, we had a hard game last week but did Port have a bye?  We're supposed to have the fitness guru in Buttifant but clearly something is wrong if the team can't run out a game in the home and away season.

The Club has stated Arizona is not happening this year, we are training in the Australian heat. Thank fork for that.

x2 We effectively chose Arizona over having another coach when we were completely shaking everything up - ie. when players needed plenty of assistance (if it cost the reported 700K, then it's actually 2 coaches). Instead we got Green. Who the fork made that decision?

Reply #93
same old story ,kicking to a contest, kicking straight to opp,this has been happening for yrs.Said during the yr we are not fit or strong enough (is there a gym at pp)our players have no build at all (look at boak or hartlett build)an e.g was waite v 1 on1 then all of a sudden waite v 4 port players that fitness.

Reply #94

We couldn't even run out the first quarter.
We were totally outclassed and it had little to do with fitness but more with a lack of intensity, desire....all those other relevant things.
We had young players and injured players and they were close to full strength.
It was just a disaster that's best put behind us....and certainly not worth watching again (unless you're involved in list management ;))

We effectively had one of sports top fitness gurus in Cordy and he was flicked for Buttifant. I realise Buttifant is a good mate of MM, and that he has had some tragedy in his life, but friendships and bad luck should not be part of the decision making!

Go to Final Siren and look at our last quarter stats for the last few years, we have gone backwards massively!

Summary(4th Quarters);
                W   D    L       For              Against        %
2014 4th   10   0   11   69.50 (464)   66.81 (477)   97.27
2013 4th   13   0   11   81.84 (570)   69.79 (493)   115.62
2012 4th   12   1   9   83.72 (570)   66.54 (450)   126.67
2011 4th   13   2   9   95.73 (643)   74.61 (505)   127.33

This year we had 22 operations in the pre season. We have had 3 players retire/sacked. Add to that the crap drafting thanks to Wayne Hughes where we got DUDS!

Watson, Lucas and Bootsma should have all developed enough by now to be regulars in the side as first round picks. This is where we suffer the most those three years with three bad picks in a row. We couldn't count on any of them to come in and take the load of others so the main crew get tired. Then look at the injuries and poor play of others. Garlett really hurts we miss his zip, Walker has hurt putting more pressure on Yazz to run and carry. Warnock rucking and his limpness has work our Casboult who in his first full season looks very tired and I put that down to having to ruck too much. Wood has come in and Levi doesn't seem to have to ruck as much, but he's cooked.

Reply #95
But Ray we've been through those drafts before and didn't really miss too much remembering they were compromised drafts, other than the obvious ones ie Darling. But that should have no bearing on our ability to run out games.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #96
But Ray we've been through those drafts before and didn't really miss too much remembering they were compromised drafts, other than the obvious ones ie Darling. But that should have no bearing on our ability to run out games.

Yes they do have bearing. Watson should be holding down a key position, Lucas should be doing a Lions share of the ball carrying and Bootsma should also be contributing. Bring in those three plus the two we lost mid pre or mid season and we look fresher. Buckley even with his carry. The same people are being asked to run 15km per game every week with little relief. I know it's their job, but the good teams drafted well and bought the younger players in with talent.

We have bought in three first year players this year and if anything the others have had to work harder to "look after them".

As Mick has stated we have NO DEPTH and that is because of the lost three year in the draft.

All picks between 10-20 should be 150 gamers if you get your recruiting right.

Sure they were compromised drafts but these guys were still rated the 20th and under best players that year, even with GC and GWS getting many picks.

You cannot tell me that the year Watson was chosen we didn't get a single player capable of having a successful AFL career?

Ask Lucas how being such a low pick has effected Nate Fyfe (20), Lewis Jetta (14), Daniel Talia (13), Jasper Pittard (15), Ryan Bastinac (21), Jake Carslile (24), Travis Colyer (26), Mitch Duncan (28) or Jack Guston (29). It was almost harder to miss a 150 gamer than get one.

2009, 2010, 2011 drafts are the reason we are suffering at the moment through lack of depth and quality.

Reply #97
Mate we've moved on from all that, the list has shown it can play over the last four weeks, so there's no more going back and complaining about the past. The list can play, as long as we are not decimated with injury there is no excuse next year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98
@ Carrots. All they've proved to me is that they can produce the odd honourable loss v. Top teams when all stops are pulled out. I'm nowhere near convinced we can be competitive week in week out even with a full team.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
I think the Cats and Freo games were more than honourable losses personally. I'm not sure you can keep revisiting the 'list is sht' excuse every time we play poorly anymore, it's time to move forward, our list is more than competitive IMO. Of course I've always thought this so people may call me biased. At least I've been consistent though, I've criticised the coach for some time but then I've been happy to give him credit when he's turned it around. Others have criticised the list when we play poorly and credited Mick when we've done well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
@ Carrots

All I can go by is what I see and where we stand on the ladder. I see poor skills and mistakes regularly on show and tougher teams beat us up and shrug us off. Blame who you like in term of coaching, list, recruitment, development but I am expecting something to be done to improve things for 2015.

Players will no doubt be cast aside and if we still look the same way next year MM will no doubt be gone. I'm not making any excuses for anybody, I want to see better for the CFC as a whole.

Reply #101
Me too! I had honestly believed we had turned the corner.

BTW I didn't mean you. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
Me too! I had honestly believed we had turned the corner.

BTW I didn't mean you. ;)

All cool mate.

Like you I thought we had made some progress but Friday shattered that illusion for sure. OK we'd have done brilliantly to win but we were just blown away.  >:(

Reply #103
I'm prepared to put that down to the players playing with one rotation for 40 mins and leaving nothing out there against the Cats. Port were clearly at their best and we were flat, a dangerous mix. Let's see what we can do against the scum this week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #104
I'm prepared to put that down to the players playing with one rotation for 40 mins and leaving nothing out there against the Cats. Port were clearly at their best and we were flat, a dangerous mix. Let's see what we can do against the scum this week.

Yep, kicking their ass would sure cheer us up.