Skip to main content
Topic: Radio Memories (Read 8591 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Radio Memories

Reply #15
For those in a ' certain demographic' (and based on comments over the years, there are a few!) who originally came from Melbourne, you might remember the days when 'The Greater 3UZ' ruled the airwaves.  Like so many other iconic stations around the country that we all grew up with, it has long gone with a totally different identity.

Tomorrow (Sunday) it is 90 years since 3UZ first went to air and in celebration, the 927 frequency will feature some of the best of 3UZ!  For those who remember Stan Rofe, Sam Anglesea, Don
Lunn etc, etc, etc , it might be worth having on in the background!!

Ahhhh, nothing  worse than having your game on 3UZ or 3DB :

"Carlton only 1 point behind, siren is about to go any tick of the clock, Doull handballs to Vin Waite who finds Robert Walls on a long lead, he swings onto his right boot down towards the teeth of goal.....(cue 3UZ announcer in studio).....Racing in the 9th at Shepparton...!"

Had to wait 5 minutes to find out what happened!

;D

Reply #16
That exact thing happened to me.
Carlton were playing Essendon I think, I was in euroa at a function, the only station covering it was the greater on relay through some local station.
It was the game when Kernahan kicked the goal after the siren.
"kernahan has the ball, sirem has gone, this is to win the game, he lines up,walks in, Theyve Jumped at Kempsey!"
Numerous people staring at this poor fellow sitting in his car banging the steering wheel and swearing at the radio. that was the one he kicked and we won.
Allan Lappan "its lap lap, saying bye bye, for now now.

Reply #17
FM killed AM radio. The sound quality is not even a close comparison. AM is really only for the loyal folk who listened to these stations years ago. There are FM stations flogging some of the old bands, so the AM stations are losing listeners there too. The only AM station I still listen to from time to time is SEN 1116. Only for the footy during draft period.

FM hasn't killed AM - Melbourne's two biggest stations are 3AW (13.6) and 774 (10.7)...and that's the way it's been for decades. 

Fox FM used to rate well before the clowns in Sydney changed everything behind the scenes.  These days they rate 7.6, and the other FM stations are even less than that.

The generation that Fox FM tries to attract are more interested in listening to Spotify...they are dead in the water

"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006