Skip to main content
Topic: Missing Members - 2024 (Read 272 times) previous topic - next topic

Missing Members - 2024

It seems we've lost a few more regulars for 2024, not sure why.

Does anyone have updates on the whereabouts or circumstances of former regulars?

If nothing else, I hope they are all safe and well and enjoying the 2024 results.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Missing Members - 2024

Reply #1
It seems we've lost a few more regulars for 2024, not sure why.

Does anyone have updates on the whereabouts or circumstances of former regulars?

If nothing else, I hope they are all safe and well and enjoying the 2024 results.

Noticed the same....
Activity seems a little down too
I'm seeing "no new posts" for extended periods.

I thought the season would bring a few back, but it seems not.

Reply #2
I thought the season would bring a few back, but it seems not.
We always seem to have more activity when the shizen hits the fan, but it would be nice to celebrate some success with many of the old regulars.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
We always seem to have more activity when the shizen hits the fan, but it would be nice to celebrate some success with many of the old regulars.
Yes, there's nothing like the need to vent to get the keyboards clicking!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #4
I read, but am losing interest in footy because of:
 - the hyperbole in everything eg 'Footy great involved in accident'  Footy great played suburban footy, how great Gather round is and and every game sold out (apart from the heaps that didn't turn up) and 'how good are the suburban footy grounds?' fine for suburban footy, but not AFL.  Here's the great {insert fellow commentator}
 - commentary - 'what a superb kick' 30 metre pass to a player 20m in the clear and other inane rubbish
 - the detail that media go to in order to get a story - a lot of trivial things are reported as breaking news and then talked about for days it is really tedious.
 - the media making up the news - using one example to push their agenda (this player is lazy or shouldn't have done that etc.)
 - the games themselves that I have seen haven't been that interesting to watch (only watched a couple)
 - 'Event' footy - Opening Round, Round 1, Good Friday, Gather Round, soon to be Anzac Eve & Day - where the footy is actually second to 'being at the event.

I find that I am only really watching Carlton, even then, I'm happy to turn off the TV if something else is on and watch it later.  The blues are, however, the most exciting team when they get on a roll.

Sorry - vent over.

Reply #5
I read, but am losing interest in footy because of:
 - the hyperbole in everything eg 'Footy great involved in accident'  Footy great played suburban footy, how great Gather round is and and every game sold out (apart from the heaps that didn't turn up) and 'how good are the suburban footy grounds?' fine for suburban footy, but not AFL.  Here's the great {insert fellow commentator}
 - commentary - 'what a superb kick' 30 metre pass to a player 20m in the clear and other inane rubbish
 - the detail that media go to in order to get a story - a lot of trivial things are reported as breaking news and then talked about for days it is really tedious.
 - the media making up the news - using one example to push their agenda (this player is lazy or shouldn't have done that etc.)
 - the games themselves that I have seen haven't been that interesting to watch (only watched a couple)
 - 'Event' footy - Opening Round, Round 1, Good Friday, Gather Round, soon to be Anzac Eve & Day - where the footy is actually second to 'being at the event.

I find that I am only really watching Carlton, even then, I'm happy to turn off the TV if something else is on and watch it later.  The blues are, however, the most exciting team when they get on a roll.

Sorry - vent over.

AFL has reached saturation levels.

They keep trying to force more of it at us, but we can't absorb anymore of it and are getting turned off as a result.

Similar with Formula 1. More rounds, more TV shows/coverage, more 'burnout' from audiences.

I don't watch anymore footy shows. I don't watch pre-game stuff or post game.
I watch siren-to-siren and thats about as much as i can stomach at present.

Reply #6
I miss PaulP and I hope he's OK, and then there's a swag of posters like Mav, Raydan, LanceRomance, Tommy'sBarber, bmaurizio, Amers, capcom, c4e, chalkybill, flyboy, Jack Burton, and many others who no longer post or only occasionally post.

I suspect that social media is attracting more people away from discussion groups across the board, and footy groups in general and this place in particular are feeling the squeeze.

Social media is faster with latest news, be it fair dinkum or fake, bit there's really not much scope for the discussions that make this place interesting, informative and, at times, infuriating.

The bright side is that we seem to hardly attract any bots now  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
I suspect some of those members are still visiting the forum regularly, they're just not posting.

I read a couple of other Carlton forums on a daily basis (often a couple of times a day) ...I just don't post on them.

Reply #8
I find myself with nothing to add these days.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Happens when the club is not in crisis and nothing to vent.

Reply #10
Tried to contact Capcom a while back but didnt get a reply and thats unusual for real name(Mike) and I fear the worst as would often exchange PM's and he was always quick to reply.

Reply #11
Tried to contact Capcom a while back but didnt get a reply and thats unusual for real name(Mike) and I fear the worst as would often exchange PM's and he was always quick to reply.

Doesn't sound good.  Let's hope he's just found another forum to express his support for the Bluebaggers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball