Skip to main content
Topic: Racism Beat Up! (Read 2712 times) previous topic - next topic

Racism Beat Up!

I wonder if today's stories about Krakouer's racism claims are a beat up!

For me it is completely reasonable if a Pie supporter of any sort pulls up next to you to lock the doors and windows!  In fact it would seem prudent! ;D

Just as I would if a skinhead Bumbers fan rocked up in the same space or anyone associated with the Tigers. They are all ferals after all.

I don't see the connection to race at all!

Further adding to my confusion, many of Krakouer's generation commonly sport neck tatoos, hoodies, are unshaven, have their ar5e hanging out of their trackies. They are designer bad boys! That's right, bad boy fashionistas! So isn't the reaction to that fashion actually the effect they are after?

I must be confused!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Racism Beat Up!

Reply #1
I wonder if today's stories about Krakouer's racism claims are a beat up!

For me it is completely reasonable if a Pie supporter of any sort pulls up next to you to lock the doors and windows!  In fact it would seem prudent! ;D

Just as I would if a skinhead Bumbers fan rocked up in the same space or anyone associated with the Tigers. They are all ferals after all.

I don't see the connection to race at all!

Further adding to my confusion, many of Krakouer's generation commonly sport neck tatoos, hoodies, are unshaven, have their ar5e hanging out of their trackies. They are designer bad boys! That's right, bad boy fashions! So isn't the reaction to that fashion actually the effect they are after?

I must be confused!

The incidents he's highlighted would be more a factor of subconcious profiling than deliberate racism. It's the same for many young people who are automatically thought to be up to no good, or any middle aged man with a young child that gets looked at like he's a pervert. People make judgements of other people for a variety of reasons, justly or unjustly.

I remember answering a question when I was applying to be a prison officer a number of years ago. It asked whether I would be more cautious/nervous walking through an indigenous neighbourhood at night time than I would a white one. I answered yes. I received a phone call shortly after the assessment to explain my answer as it apparently highlighted a racist thought pattern. This annoyed me as I'm far from being racist. I explained that I would be more cautious in any neighbourhood where i'm the minority, it had nothing to do with race.

It's human nature to be cautious of what you're not familiar with. I think as a society we're too quick to label things as 'racist' without fully understanding what that term means.