Skip to main content
Topic: Is Judd stopping Cripps' Development? (Read 13167 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Judd stopping Cripps' Development?

Patty has now played two games where he looks like a champion in the making.

St Kilda and Sydney.

Both have had Judd not in the side. I took note this week at Patty and when the ball goes up, he is on he move, where last week he played a stationary game.

Should Juddy retire now and allow Cripps to be the number 1 extractor?

Re: Is Judd stopping Cripps' Development?

Reply #1
Judd is going to retire, he was conned into an extra season! Carlton has torn out the heart of football's version of Phar Lap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Not IMO. Judd won't play every minute of every game - he may miss some games altogether. Cripps will get his chances for sure.

There's also no reason why they can't play together.

Having Judd will be good for Cripps this season.

Reply #3
But when Judd plays Cripps is nowhere near the level when Judd is not there.

Reply #4
But when Judd plays Cripps is nowhere near the level when Judd is not there.

I would assume there is some sort of organization beforehand as to who does what when they are both out there. I would hope the match committee is sensible enough to get the most out of both of them when they're out there together. I would also think it would be a good learning experience for Cripps to learn how to play alongside someone like Judd. 

There's also no reason why they have to play similar roles every second of every game. There ought to be sufficient scope and time this season for Cripps to learn about different positions - he could spend time a resting HFF, alternating with Judd etc.

With a little imagination and footy nous, they could easily play very good footy in the same team.

Reply #5
With a little imagination and footy nous, they could easily play very good footy in the same team.

That seems to be the challenge because it hasn't happened so far.

Reply #7
Cripps needs to learn to play with others sharing the load IMO. Judd will retire at season's end and should help take some heat of cripps when required otherwise play him away from the middle.

Reply #8
I've actually been on about this all year.

I'd like to see Judd play flank/wing/forward for the rest of the season.

cripps is very much a centreman.  Like Josh Kennedy.

He's shown when played in that position he shows a lot of promise.

You can't pick young players and then play them out of position. Makes no sense to me. Murphy and Gibbs who do not chase or tackle (same goes for Judd) and are horrible role models can spend more time forward or in the VFL.

Those 3 have a lot to do with where we are at this year. When you have never put in defensive effort of any real note you can get by when youre hurting the opposition with your offense. But when that drops off you're a massive liability Both in terms of your own performance and the example you set your teammates.

Reply #9
Is it possibly something simple ? Maybe the young fellow is a little awestruck ? Maybe he becomes hesitant and tentative, because he doesn't want to embarrass himself in front of Judd ?

On the one hand, we have our best player of the last 10-15 years, and on the other, we have the "anointed one", who is likely to be our best player in the next 10 years. It seems crazy that they can't do well together.

EDIT : is it also possible that Cripps is being eased into the role rather than thrown in ? Maybe the MC have told him Judd won't be there next year, so observe him while you can.

Reply #10
Maybe Judd should step aside and let this kid stand on his own feet.  He seemed to be the defacto leader around the packs yesterday... threw his weight around a couple of times against ? Jack.    Was front and centre in most of the action.  Showed a heck of a lot of leadership against a hard outfit.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Juud, Murphy and Gibbs need to spend less time in the centre.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12

You read my thoughts MBB. I would be looking for Cripps and Graham to be spending more time inside and have at least Juddy and Murphy more in outside roles. Gives the young guys some experience and gives us a bit more outside class.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14

I agree, but MIcks reliance on taggers means nobody else could rotate through there, all spots taken, so the best mids have to stay on the ball longer.

Not that Murph was there much recently.

Hopefully J Barker see's things differently.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................