Skip to main content
Topic: View Beyond the Shades - Analysis (Read 11586 times) previous topic - next topic

View Beyond the Shades - Analysis

My in to frequent post about certain points in the game which cause me frustration is back.

This first post in this series is Andrew Walker. Now he has played forward with some success and OK down back, but to often his kicks out of defence put us in more trouble than good.

We are crying our for tall running Midfielders, why have we not tried that again?

Anyway one perfect example of this is in the Third Quarter. (AFL Match Replay, Harry Cunningham Behind if you want to see the footage.)

Here we have a Kick out and set up pretty well - we have left plenty of space on the wing, with two waves of players making there way to that side. Sydney have defended OK, but we have Andrew Walker in close as the get out option.

Walker gets the kick, Yarran and Thomas move towards the line to provide an option, and create space behind them, with the next wave ready to fill that space and provide an option or create a contest (they are trailing there men, which is a sign of workrate). Guess where Walker Kicks it?? He runs onto his non preferred side and kicks it smack bang into the middle of the Swans players (the Target).

I have seperated where the corridor probably starts. I don't mind kicks comiung back through there, but the have to be short, sharp and hit targets. Walker kicks a wobbler on his non preferred, with players having to now change directions.

Result: Easy pickings for the Swans and a simple mark to Buddy. he moves it on into the space for Cunningham who luckily misses from in front. notice we have half the side (9 players) in one area, so we worked to that side all to be undone by a very poor decision and even poorer kick.

Walker tends to not kick into the corridor or the boundary, hedges his bets and kicks indiscriminately to a very dangerous area. He does this time and time again. Time to play him as a midfielder or back as a high half forward when he regains full fitness.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Re: View Beyond the Shades - Analysis

Reply #1
Kicking is not 1AWs strong suit, I have no idea why we keep playing him back!

Over the years lots of supporters have bagged the blokes we tried to turn into KPFs, but the reality is with the delivery they get from our team(Our team the worst kicking team in the AFL by some comfortable margin) they had virtually no hope of developing as forwards!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2

Over the years lots of supporters have bagged the blokes we tried to turn into KPFs, but the reality is with the delivery they get from our team(Our team the worst kicking team in the AFL by some comfortable margin) they had virtually no hope of developing as forwards!

When played forward LP, 1AW used to be a reliable kick for goal. That's where we should play him IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Can only play forward IMO and I'm a bit over him to be honest, reckon he has lost interest...

Reply #4
When played forward LP, 1AW used to be a reliable kick for goal. That's where we should play him IMO.

When you are kicking for goal half the process is already decided for you, that is where to kick! ;)

If you want to watch 1AW stream out of the back line and kick to blokes who are out numbered three to one just watch most games! Kicking isn't just about he kick itself, it's about the choices that you make, the time it takes to make those choices and then and only then the execution!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
It was just a poor choice. I dont see any reason he would kick it back to the corridor when all our players have commited to one side. Basically kicked it over there heads.

#united #reset

Reply #6
Basically kicked it over there heads.

He's been doing it to the forwards for his entire career!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
When you are kicking for goal half the process is already decided for you, that is where to kick! ;)

If you want to watch 1AW stream out of the back line and kick to blokes who are out numbered three to one just watch most games! Kicking isn't just about he kick itself, it's about the choices that you make, the time it takes to make those choices and then and only then the execution!

Sure, that's why he should play forward where he would not have to think so much or make so many critical and potentially dangerous choices.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Maybe it was an inability to hit a target by foot that was the bigger issue??

If he aimed for a spot and missed by a 5-10 metres, this would be your result.

Nah, Malthouse is gone, our issues should be fixed because we'll use the corridoor rather than the boundary at least that seems to be the attitude anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Andrew Walker!

Number 2 Draft pick behind a guy who ended up winning a Brownlow.
A talented schoolboy runner with excellent speed endurance.
One of the best ever debuts for the club.... 26 touches and 3 goals...and a glimpse of the ability to fly for the high marks.

Another triumph for the Carlton Football club development program. ::)

With the time he has left send him forward.
The only advantage of mid-field will be his turnovers will be a bit further from the opposition goals.

Reply #10
Maybe it was an inability to hit a target by foot that was the bigger issue??

If he aimed for a spot and missed by a 5-10 metres, this would be your result.

Nah, Malthouse is gone, our issues should be fixed because we'll use the corridoor rather than the boundary at least that seems to be the attitude anyway.

I suggest you watch the footage Thry, see him turn his body towards the corridor. it was a poor kick, but he was aiming in that general area.

I will ignore the other comment, as that is not the time, nor place to move it into the corridor.

#united #reset

Reply #11
I suggest you watch the footage Thry, see him turn his body towards the corridor. it was a poor kick, but he was aiming in that general area.

I will ignore the other comment, as that is not the time, nor place to move it into the corridor.

So he kicked it exactly as he wanted it to the wrong target because he was aiming in that general area....

Who was he trying to pass the ball to?

I don't buy that he kicked it into space on purpose and if that's what your selling, then snake oil salesman isnt your go.  This observation of yours is fine and has merit but it needs to be analysed accordingly.

It tells us that Walker executed his kick poorly.

He has chosen his target poorly which has led to him missing his target by foot.  be it a kick he had no chance of hitting (over ambitious with his target) or a kick that he didnt execute well and missed his target, the moral of the story is that he missed his target.  You can make up with poor kick selection by having excellent ability to hit targets, but that just kicks the error to the next point of failure if the bloke is under pressure and sets him up for a spilled mark, or posession under pressure with no target to hit up next.

I suppose the question I will ask is, aside from moving him down field, how does this help Walker kick the ball to a target better next time?  Simply moving him into a different area of the field relocates the issue rather than fixes the poor kick doesnt it?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Excellent summary Shadesy, looking forward to some more.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
Andrew has probably played his most disciplined and consistent football in defence, which does say something. Probably his best year was in attack. But that year his kicking for goal was statistically the best in the competition. He took the most marks of his career, including his highlight mark against Essendon. Our mids had a lot of confidence in him and picked him out by choice, and, with Betts and Garlett picking up the tag, he managed to get a few crumbs as well.
Since then his forward play has been poor to non existent. When played there recently he simply hasn't worked hard enough and had a minimal number of possessions. His kicking for goal has been unbelievably bad and his team mates haven't had any confidence in him at all. He hasn't got any crumbs because he hasn't been close to the contest and he hasn't had any marks at all.
I am not sure that it is just a confidence thing either. I am sure that our forward structures and general forward movement would make things difficult for God if he were in our forward line.
As a result he has been played where he concentrates best: defence. Alas, he hasn't shown any run and he has been completely reactive. But that is where Andrew is at the moment. He is so far from his best form that it is hard recognizing him as the same player who destroyed Milne a couple of years back, or who kick about 50 goals in a season.

Quote from: LP
Our delivery has been pretty ordinary this century. We were complaining (and rightly) when Fev lead out and the ball went just about anywhere except to his advantage. We have a handful of truly skilled players and even they are butchering the ball at the moment. About the last one who could reliably hit targets was Houlihan!
I am sure our delivery will get better when we are not under so much perceived pressure. I am sure much of our game plan will look better when we get the ball out of the middle with ease instead of under the pump (the norm at this time). I am sure it will get better when we have more talent in our lineup and I am absolutely certain our delivery will be better when we have the forward structures and game plan to maximize what we have instead of minimizing it (the bomb and hope plan we presently 'enjoy').
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
I think he's finished and we should delist him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!