Skip to main content
Topic: Round 15 Post Game Thread - Blues v Tigers  (Read 51445 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 15 Post Game Thread - Blues v Tigers

Reply #121
Okay that's fine but statistically he is actually worse than he was 3-4 years ago.

Barkers given two interviews this week on how the forwardline is supposed to work and it's not really about who kicks the goals as long as they are kicked. Forwards are supposed to lead to open up holes for other forwards behind them etc....

He said Henderson didn't have a great night but he's a terrific leader and he if has anything to do with it he'll be with us next year.

Forwardlines usually work when the team plays good footy, midfielders hit targets and you have multiple forward options.

We haven't done any of this for 3 or 4 years and it's untrue to say Henderson hasn't played well in that time.

Still our best forward option.

I'm struggling to see how Casboult is considered a really good player and Watson should get 5 games, but Henderson is a passenger?!!

Doesn't make sense.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #122
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-great-robert-walls-says-chris-yarran-should-be-dropped-slams-blues-performance-against-tigers/story-fni5f5nx-1227438238586

Great to have you back Wallsy and good to see you are reading my posts. ;)
Yes, he mentioned Yarran, Everitt and Menzel. You could make a good case for dropping all 3 of them. If we had some fit guys, it would be a great move. He forgot to mention Tutt, would may try to tackles but could NOT retard a 10 year old successfully.
I'm glad the Robert cares. Maybe we can find  place for him somewhere. We need a few guys who really care.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #123
I think you just hit on one of the most important points, yet one most often overlooked.

Henderson, when out on the ground, is a leader amongst the forwards. He is often directing, encouraging and sacrificing his game for the betterment of the forward line as a group.

If we took him out of it, who would be the leader?
Casboult - Not leadership materials, needs to focus on kicking straight!
Menzel - Too young, not consistent enough
Everitt - Not leadership material
Kreuzer/Wood - There part time, ruckmen first.

Hendo offers more than just stats.

Reply #124
I think you just hit on one of the most important points, yet one most often overlooked.

Henderson, when out on the ground, is a leader amongst the forwards. He is often directing, encouraging and sacrificing his game for the betterment of the forward line as a group.

Yep.

A forward line of containing just Cas and/or Watson or Rowe could well see these guys smashing into each other as the sounds effects of Australias Funniest Home Videos plays in the background.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #125
Barkers given two interviews this week on how the forwardline is supposed to work and it's not really about who kicks the goals as long as they are kicked. Forwards are supposed to lead to open up holes for other forwards behind them etc....

He said Henderson didn't have a great night but he's a terrific leader and he if has anything to do with it he'll be with us next year.

Forwardlines usually work when the team plays good footy, midfielders hit targets and you have multiple forward options.

We haven't done any of this for 3 or 4 years and it's untrue to say Henderson hasn't played well in that time.

Still our best forward option.

I'm struggling to see how Casboult is considered a really good player and Watson should get 5 games, but Henderson is a passenger?!!

Doesn't make sense.

Well I though Cas was miles better than Henderson on Friday night.

Re Henderson perhaps passenger is a little harsh, but you talk about midfield and delivery well he gets it pretty good every week but he does not hold his marks and as astute people in the game have also commented, he doesn't want it enough, which is what I've been saying all along. You said he was average last night well TBH I saw no difference between his game last night and pretty much every game for the past two years. He just went, and that was it. Makes good leads yeah but he simply does not want to hold that mark enough, he doesn't have the ticker required. He's an underachiever in my eyes. It seems I'm not the only one that's taking note.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #126

Re Henderson perhaps passenger is a little harsh, but you talk about midfield and delivery well he gets it pretty good every week but he does not hold his marks and as astute people in the game have also commented, he doesn't want it enough, which is what I've been saying all along. You said he was average last night well TBH I saw no difference between his game last night and pretty much every game for the past two years. He just went, and that was it. Makes good leads yeah but he simply does not want to hold that mark enough, he doesn't have the ticker required.

Something that i think has changed over the past 20-30 years.

Back in the day, forwards had to be smart, or at least the good ones were. The forwards knew the subtleties of the game and exploited the backmen.
By contrast, the backmen were simply known as dumb footballers who were played back because they were not much chop elsewhere. Usually couldn't kick and would go the knuckle to square up the ledger.

Nowadays, it seems that forwards are now the more eccentric/dumb footballers. It seems that backmen are now the more astute footballers who read the play better and have to be smarter about how to defend as you can't simply chop the arms and hold like you used to be.

Some of the best forwards over the past decade are hot heads who often get the sooks. Fevola, J. Riewoldt, B. Franklin, T. Cloke, M. Richardson, B. Hall, J. Brown, J. Waite...etc
Some of the best backmen are more composed, level headed types. D. Fletcher, H. Taylor, D. Glass, A. Rance, L. Barry even Jamo etc

I think Hendo fits the 'mould' of your modern day defender. He is cool, calm and collected. He hasn't got the hot headed/agro nature required to be a modern day forward.

So yes, i agree that he doesn't seem to 'want it enough', but i think that's part of his nature and he is much better utilised as a backmen because of it.

Still....i think it's best for the team if Hendo plays forward as the next in line are simply too far behind.

Reply #127

Re Henderson perhaps passenger is a little harsh, but you talk about midfield and delivery well he gets it pretty good every week but he does not hold his marks and as astute people in the game have also commented, he doesn't want it enough, which is what I've been saying all along. You said he was average last night well TBH I saw no difference between his game last night and pretty much every game for the past two years. He just went, and that was it. Makes good leads yeah but he simply does not want to hold that mark enough, he doesn't have the ticker required. He's an underachiever in my eyes. It seems I'm not the only one that's taking note.

Geelong disagree and look prepared to pay for it.

But it's one of those player things.

No drama.

Anyway, lets get back to whats important.

Malthouse SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Reply #128

Casboult has certainly focused on kicking straight, second best in the AFL for set shot accuracy  :)

I don't see why he couldn't develop into a leader.  For most of this season he has been flat out just getting a game.  Now that he is an established member of the team, he could well blossom.  Who knows?

Henderson is quite vocal on the ground but leadership is also about setting an example and he hasn't really done that as well as he could/should.

It's a bit of a two-edged sword really; he seems to be more comfortable in defence and is more consistent as a defender BUT we desperately need a key forward.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
Casboult has certainly focused on kicking straight, second best in the AFL for set shot accuracy  :)

Yeah i read that, and i simply do not buy it.

That stat should come with an asterisk (*)

Casboult has only missed 4 set shots this year? 2 out on the full??

I take it that if he plays on from set shots it counts as 'in general play' and i suspect that that percentage is very low.

Reply #130
Yeah i read that, and i simply do not buy it.

That stat should come with an asterisk (*)

Casboult has only missed 4 set shots this year? 2 out on the full??

I take it that if he plays on from set shots it counts as 'in general play' and i suspect that that percentage is very low.

The same method of assessing set shot accuracy is applied to all  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #131
I think it's just a maturity issue with Henderson and the model should be the same as Neitz (and Grant to a lesser extent)where they play back until they demand the move forward. I think we'll have a better result in 3 years time - which is where we should be looking.

Reply #132
Well bottom line with Hendo is that he seems to be playing the role being asked of him as Barker did not seem interested at all in moving him elsewhere.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #133
Well bottom line with Hendo is that he seems to be playing the role being asked of him as Barker did not seem interested at all in moving him elsewhere.

Don't all players hope to stay with their current clubs? Until October rolls around :))

Reply #134
That's the funny thing about Carrazzo, had two howlers of kicks and caught holding the ball once and 5 free's against.

It was not 1 of his better games.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!