Skip to main content

Poll

Do you think Crippa will win the rising star?  Take emotion out of it when choosing :)

Yes he will
[ 27 ] (49.1%)
No he won't
[ 28 ] (50.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: September 11, 2015, 12:30:32 pm

Topic: Will Crippa win the rising star? (Read 49301 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will Crippa win the rising star?

Reply #165
Which is why having the leagues most coveted 'best and fairest' award being voted on by umpires is a crock.

Been saying it since Woewodin won in 2000. Also you look back at Diesel and umpire Russo. Umpires can't even get the decisions right, how can they be relied upon to pick the best player.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #166
I hope everyone can temper their expectations of Cripps for next year. While I expect him to become a great 200+ game player for us, I also kind of expect him to have some 2nd year blues next year.

He hasn't really been tagged yet, next year clubs will put a lot more time into trying to stop him. Until he learns to play with high expectations and a lot closer attention from opposition teams his output may be lower than we are expecting of him.

Let him get to 50 games and then really watch him take off !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #167
Which is why having the leagues most coveted 'best and fairest' award being voted on by umpires is a crock.

The AFL and TV stations are always going to pump it up as it's a big money spinner and changing the voting may put people off. End result was right.

Reply #168
I hope everyone can temper their expectations of Cripps for next year. While I expect him to become a great 200+ game player for us, I also kind of expect him to have some 2nd year blues next year.

He hasn't really been tagged yet, next year clubs will put a lot more time into trying to stop him. Until he learns to play with high expectations and a lot closer attention from opposition teams his output may be lower than we are expecting of him.

Not quite true, although it has only happened a few times as yet. Melbourne tried it and Cripps prospered.
However, you are correct. having mad an impression this year, opposition clubs will be on the lookout for him next year. How effective their countermeasures will be will depend on how guys like Gibbs come up from injury and if we get another good young mid to make an impression. Most teams don't like too many tags, so if our mids step up, it will be a lot harder to hold any particular one down.

The other thing in his favour is that he is tall enough to be a useful marking target when 'resting' forward. One way to break the tag would be to start him forward and see if the tagger can handle a strong guy who is taller than John Nicholls.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #169

You would have a point if it was the 'best and fairest' award.  However, it is the 'fairest and best ' award and I reckon umpires are best placed to determine who that is.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #170
You would have a point if it was the 'best and fairest' award.  However, it is the 'fairest and best ' award and I reckon umpires are best placed to determine who that is.

Where does it say that one has priority over the other though? Lewis gave a very dirty whack to a player, cited by the umps, and still got 2 votes.

Reply #171
Where does it say that one has priority over the other though? Lewis gave a very dirty whack to a player, cited by the umps, and still got 2 votes.

In the past, a player who was reported could not be awarded votes in that game.  That was changed to cover the situation where a reported player is cleared by the tribunal.

The priority given to the 'fairest' element is demonstrated by the ineligibility rules and the fact that it is the umpires' award.

I don't mind the Brownlow going to the fairest and best player, particularly now that we have the coaches' award and the AFLPA award.  That should cover all angles.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
In the past, a player who was reported could not be awarded votes in that game.  That was changed to cover the situation where a reported player is cleared by the tribunal.

The priority given to the 'fairest' element is demonstrated by the ineligibility rules and the fact that it is the umpires' award.

I don't mind the Brownlow going to the fairest and best player, particularly now that we have the coaches' award and the AFLPA award.  That should cover all angles.

There's plenty of unfair play that isn't reportable and fairest is not the same as not unfair. All that says is a suspension automatically makes you too unfair to win the thing, which is a silly rule.

Reply #173
Fairest should be replaced with 'not dirty'.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #174
Fairest should be replaced with 'not dirty'.

:D

It's just another quirky traditional aspect of our game.  Apart from Neil Roberts handing his Brownlow back if "fairest" is dropped, what would be the consequences of making the change? 

Reply #175
:D

It's just another quirky traditional aspect of our game.  Apart from Neil Roberts handing his Brownlow back if "fairest" is dropped, what would be the consequences of making the change?

Can you denounce your win?  ;D The AFL would probably be happy to add it to their museum collection.

Reply #176

That's my fear.
That Cripps will be put under  too much pressure by supporters looking for a messiah to lead us out of  trouble, and the kid won't be able to cope.
Then again, he was being tagged the 2nd half of the year, and the Cripps bandwagon was getting pretty crowded, and he was able to cope just fine.
Here's hoping, like Juddy before him, he s one of those young players that has no trouble coping with pressure and expectation.

Reply #177
Hump it on him, if he doesn't break he's a keeper! ;)

Cruel but fair! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178

That is a crock.

Firstly, fairest and best is the same thing as best and fairest.

There was some discussion about it on Footy Classified.

They used the example of Jordan Lewis giving someone a coathanger in a marking contest, getting reported at the time, and getting 2 votes for the game. They were arguing that the brownlow should simply be awarded 'best' player as the umpires obviously don't take into account the 'fairest' element when giving votes. FYI, Lewis got 2 (or 3) weeks because of the hit.

As it turns out, the umpires simply award the votes to the best players.
The tribunal works out the fairest element.

In any event, i put more stock in things like the AFLCA player of the year award. THEY are the ones that are best placed to decide the best player.

Reply #179

In any event, i put more stock in things like the AFLCA player of the year award. THEY are the ones that are best placed to decide the best player.

Very much agree.