Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 Draw (Read 29192 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 Draw

Reply #60
I think that's a really good idea...puts a clear distinction between the season and the finals and stops the farce of some teams resting players.

Reply #61
I think that's a really good idea...puts a clear distinction between the season and the finals and stops the farce of some teams resting players.

More likely that seasoned players like Hodge or Mitchell would get two weeks off if the ladder positions are fixed! :o

The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
More likely that seasoned players like Hodge or Mitchell would get two weeks off if the ladder positions are fixed! :o

Was thinking the same..players like Mitchell, Pavlich, big Sandi will be rested for a couple even sent away for special treatment etc..

Reply #63
Yep it's a typical afl reaction.

Try to stop something that is impossible to stop.  Insert this week in this season and nothing changes.  North would have employed the same strategy anyway.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #64
Yep it's a typical afl reaction.

Try to stop something that is impossible to stop.  Insert this week in this season and nothing changes.  North would have employed the same strategy anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with resting players; the goal is to win the GF, not the last home and away round.

At the time, the AFL defended North and Freo but now it seems that winning the last home and away round has become as important as doing well in the finals.  I may be cynical but I wonder if Channel 7 and/or the gambling lobby leaned on the AFL.

You're right Thry, if the situation arises again, North and Freo, or any other team, will rest players to ensure that they have the best chance of progressing in the finals.

Meanwhile, the build up to the finals will have a speed bump and interest will drop off.  Poor decision AFL!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
Whilst I don't like it, I prefer it to the godawful 17 & 5 fixture system that is talked about.

It will be a major advantage to an older team like the Hawks.

Reply #66
Druggos apparently don't play any of this years top 6 teams.
It craps the he11 out of me that they get so much help from the powers that be.

Reply #67
I don't see anything wrong with resting players; the goal is to win the GF, not the last home and away round.

At the time, the AFL defended North and Freo but now it seems that winning the last home and away round has become as important as doing well in the finals.  I may be cynical but I wonder if Channel 7 and/or the gambling lobby leaned on the AFL.

You're right Thry, if the situation arises again, North and Freo, or any other team, will rest players to ensure that they have the best chance of progressing in the finals.

Meanwhile, the build up to the finals will have a speed bump and interest will drop off.  Poor decision AFL!

I disagree, I don't think 3 weeks off is a good thing leading into the finals and that is effectively what it would be. Also if sides resting players affects the chances of other teams making the finals then it's a poor look all round.

Well done to the AFL on this one.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68
I may be in the minority...a small one it seems ;D
But as I mentioned earlier I like the idea of a break before the finals.

It's just a personal feeling, but lately I've found the transition from the last round of H&A into the first week of the finals to be a bit unexciting...it just seems to roll into that period and to me the first week of finals feels more like another round rather than the start of a new section.

Resting players to be ready for finals is OK, preferable actually .....but there can be ramifications in terms of ladder, draft position and finals opponents when sides are going at half pace.
Where do you draw the line and say one team resting players is OK "there will be no effect on the 'integrity' of the competition".....but another team can't do it because it could alter positions.
If every team has a break it becomes much fairer.

Some suggest a bye round may affect fan/supporter interest?
So make it interesting. Fill it with something football.
Awards, exhibition matches.

State games are probably out of the question as a lot of the best players would be preparing for finals.
Teams already out of contention would be sending players off for surgery and rests and it would be hard to get the players up for something like a 'nines' competition...
....but what about something like an U/18 All Australian match.

Rather than announce the U/18 AA side at the carnival have two teams of the best players from that competition play out in an effort to gain All-Australian honours through the bye week.
We get to highlight the best junior talent prior to (and much closer to) the draft.
The interest in these kids would be much greater at that time of year  than it was back at Carnival time.

Would we not be interested in watching Weitering vs Schache knowing we had pick 1?
Club supporters with a fair idea of their actual draft picks would get an equal kick out of watching possible selections.

Make it the All/Australian weekend with awards and the selection of the senior All-Australian side.....lots of possibilities.

Reply #69

Me neither.

I don't agree that the week will cause interest to drop off.

Those playing finals will be as anxious and excited as ever.

Those not will have dropped off weeks ago depending on how bad their team has faired over the season.

The status quo will remain, except we get another week breaks between the regular season and finals football and the big winners will be any blokes carrying an injury towards the end of the season as they get another week to get their body right which is not a bad thing.  It might have helped Freo go all the way this season with Fyfe having another weeks rest.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #70
Murphy's law... this year will no doubt be one of those seasons where every team in the 8 needs to win for different reasons. Then we have a weekend off to do some gardening.

Reply #71
@lods

Brownlow night to be held on the Saturday night perhaps??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73
The bye weekend pre finals is the perfect weekend for State of Origin footy among players of the teams who don't make the 8.

Reply #74
17 v 18 battle it out. Winner takes pick 1 and avoids the spoon - losing side must do a lap of the MCG on gf day with the spoon at half time.  ;D

The bye weekend pre finals is the perfect weekend for State of Origin footy among players of the teams who don't make the 8.

Rightly or wrongly, no one was interested in the state of origin games after Ted Whitten passed away. I think they'd be less interested in it without the best players involved.