Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 80138 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #150
The issue is not about physicality per se. The issue is the relationship between physicality and leadership. Beating up on Murph has nothing to do with leadership.

And Jono Brown's approach to footy has more to do with his own personal ego than a genuine interest in being there for the long haul. It beggars belief that anyone could believe spending half the season on the sidelines with a brain like mash is really helpful to young blokes.

Reply #151
The Gibbs tackle was leadership at it's finest because the next bounce after play resumed Cripps drove a Port player into the turf. That physicality set the tone and set up the win.

I really don't know what to say to this. I don't remember much about the game.

Reply #152
Bryce does not come across as a leader when I've seen him interviewed - he is very laid back and affable but does not seem to have a lot to say unless pushed. TBH, you reminded me that he was VC Paul! Whether or not he remains in a VC or Co Capt role next year remains to be seen, but whether that happens or not I think BB will expect him, along with others, to strongly support the capt and not let anyone push him around, as well as to assist actively in the on field and off field development of the younger guys. IMO this will be vital to us becoming more competitive.

All sounds fair enough to me cookie.

Reply #153
Bryce does not come across as a leader when I've seen him interviewed - he is very laid back and affable but does not seem to have a lot to say unless pushed. TBH, you reminded me that he was VC Paul! Whether or not he remains in a VC or Co Capt role next year remains to be seen, but whether that happens or not I think BB will expect him, along with others, to strongly support the capt and not let anyone push him around, as well as to assist actively in the on field and off field development of the younger guys. IMO this will be vital to us becoming more competitive.

Did you see the interview I linked Cookie?

I thought it was as good as any AFL player has done; on message, positive, both personal and team oriented, supportive of Murph and forward looking.  Slightly off topic but he, like others, stressed how different Bolton's approach is.  I suppose that helps to explain how far off the pace we had fallen this season.

I saw quite a lot of Judd in how Gibbs spoke and I guess that is to be expected.  Of course, Judd wasn't a particularly demonstrative leader and I think many supporters want a more demonstrative, vocal bloke to be the skipper.  I'd prefer someone who can scare the pants off opponents with a steely gaze but I don't think they are on our list at the moment.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #154
Has anyone wondered if perhaps all this talk about a new skipper and leaders in general was NOT to replace murphy, but to replace the rest of the leadership group? Or at least make them put in and earn the responsibility again, rather than just inherit it from last year.

Reply #155
Has anyone wondered if perhaps all this talk about a new skipper and leaders in general was NOT to replace murphy, but to replace the rest of the leadership group? Or at least make them put in and earn the responsibility again, rather than just inherit it from last year.
Hmmm, interesting. You may be onto something. Thinking back to this year, what an inspired leadership group choice Hendo was  ::).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #156

Certainly possible, but given what I read, quoting Bolton, Murph, Gibbs, 2E and maybe others, the focus seems to be Murph.

Reply #157
Hmmm, interesting. You may be onto something. Thinking back to this year, what an inspired leadership group choice Hendo was  ::).

I think Hendo showed signs of leadership during his time with us. Not sure when and where that little switch turned off in his head, but it was clear he had checked out quite a while ago and offered zero leadership. Perhaps Geelong got in his ear early on and he just gave up?

Reply #158
Certainly possible, but given what I read, quoting Bolton, Murph, Gibbs, 2E and maybe others, the focus seems to be Murph.

What you read is what reporters want to write.
What they write is what is going to sell.
What is going to sell is not that the guys under Murphy are not up to it...it is Murphy himself. Thats the headline....but is it the message?

Reply #159
What you read is what reporters want to write.
What they write is what is going to sell.
What is going to sell is not that the guys under Murphy are not up to it...it is Murphy himself. Thats the headline....but is it the message?

This is always the issue. For us on the outside, it's not possible to know. Bolton did mention a full reset, so clearly your theory is plausible.

Reply #160
I think Hendo showed signs of leadership during his time with us. Not sure when and where that little switch turned off in his head, but it was clear he had checked out quite a while ago and offered zero leadership. Perhaps Geelong got in his ear early on and he just gave up?
We know Geelong got in his ear early, he never checked in for us. Weak as p!ss and happy to see the back of him TBH. And given how little Geelong have shown of him since drafting him, I reckon they may be having second thoughts...and may they be blessed with 3 years of the Hendo Ive grown to know and despise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #161
I'd tend to agree with Kruds on this issue.

Reply #162
I think our marketing team is earning their money.  The captain issue has kept us in the news with positive reinforcement from every senior player re Murphy (Jammo is now quoted). They are not being asked ' What are you doing about Clem Smith', it all about Murphy and captancy.  Murph will be captain, no doubt, but it has given our 'leaders' something to focus on, talk about and be united about.  And in the process, Bolton made his point and asserted his authority.

Well done marketing dept!!

Reply #163
@DJC

Yes Bryce is a very affable guy and he presents pretty well in that interview but I agree strongly with what you finished your post off with:

I'd prefer someone who can scare the pants off opponents with a steely gaze but I don't think they are on our list at the moment.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #164
I think our marketing team is earning their money.  The captain issue has kept us in the news with positive reinforcement from every senior player re Murphy (Jammo is now quoted). They are not being asked ' What are you doing about Clem Smith', it all about Murphy and captancy.  Murph will be captain, no doubt, but it has given our 'leaders' something to focus on, talk about and be united about.  And in the process, Bolton made his point and asserted his authority.

Well done marketing dept!!

Agree. It's certainly creating the situation whereby when Murph gets the captaincy it will look like a decision that has not been made lightly and that he is the one most deserving of the job.
Reality always wins in the end.