Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 23326 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 8: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
Certainly we have to see how they used their rucks today and work out a way of beating it. Trengrove has the athleticism to hurt us in the ruck. Kreuzer cannot let him run around and take marks at will.
It will be very interesting to see how we think through what happened between Port and Brisbane, as Martin is one of the more effective rucks going around at the moment. We cannot afford to be taken, like Brisbane were today in that area.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Port impressive vs a lacklustre Brisbane but I think we will be looking to make it ugly footy and wont cough up as many goals....all teams have one annoying player and for its Jasper Pittard for Port....doesnt miind getting involved in push and shove games(dont know why because he cant fight) but usually comes in late when opposing players are not looking and gets a cheap shot in. Always looking for the easy receive across half back too and generally just annoys  me and I hope to see him sat on his backside at some stage...

Port are good frontrunners but I think Kruezer can give us first use vs the inexperienced Howard and we can make a game of it...something flakey about Port
and I reckon a bit of physical emphasis can put them off their game...

Maybe a Levi-Liam sandwich will be on his menu! ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Gibbs has something to prove after being stitched up last time we played them. You know those players with severe concussion from sling tackles, who could not stand up, but still played the next week! ;)

Wasn't it Port that bitched like cut snakes about Carlton, then sold Gibbs up the river with what in hindsight was a pretty bogus medical assessment?

We should not forget!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I expect Pittard to either get caught or run into a few dead ends.

Armfield will play defensive forward .

Good luck with that Gizper.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #19
Gibbs has something to prove after being stitched up last time we played them. You know those players with severe concussion from sling tackles, who could not stand up, but still played the next week! ;)

Wasn't it Port that bitched like cut snakes about Carlton, then sold Gibbs up the river with what in hindsight was a pretty bogus medical assessment?

We should not forget!
I agree. Gibbs was shafted last year, no doubt about it. I hope we can show them the error of their ways.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
Port haven't beaten much more.
6 day break vs our 7.
Game in Melb.
We are a chance against a side that loves to cheat and run forward of the contest

They've been beaten by Adelaide, Geelong and GWS, and beaten Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane and St Kilda easily.
St Kilda have run North and Hawthorn to a kick and are traveling pretty well for a side on a rebuild, and they thrashed the other lowly sides that they beat.
On form alone they should beat us comfortably but we are playing better than we were and sport throws up some odd results.
Boak is in top form and we've struggled with big bodied, quality midfielders in recent years, they also have several forwards capable of kicking multiple goals.
A win would be fantastic but it's hard to be confident.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #21
They've been beaten by Adelaide, Geelong and GWS, and beaten Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane and St Kilda easily.
St Kilda have run North and Hawthorn to a kick and are traveling pretty well for a side on a rebuild, and they thrashed the other lowly sides that they beat.
On form alone they should beat us comfortably but we are playing better than we were and sport throws up some odd results.
Boak is in top form and we've struggled with big bodied, quality midfielders in recent years, they also have several forwards capable of kicking multiple goals.
A win would be fantastic but it's hard to be confident.

See what you're saying B4L but at the same time I really believe that we are learning and improving each week, plus our spirits are high and our pressure is very strong over 4Qs. We might just have the belief and endeavour to shock Port and sneak in - here's hoping anyway.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22

We should not forget!

Nah one of their reserves players had a crack on twitter but the actual club tried to help Gibbs saying Gray passed the concussion tests but they erred on the side of caution in subbing him out. North Melbourne are the club that try to screw everyone at the MRP except for the Cats, funny that.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Another thing and maybe off topic a bit, but Cripps is just an awesome unit.
He isn't as explosive as Judd was in his prime and probably never will be but he's just as hard to tackle as the Great Man, he's got Captain written all over him and along with Docherty and Weitering will form the basis of our leadership for a decade.
It's hard to believe that we got him at pick 13.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24
He isn't as explosive as Judd was in his prime and probably never will be but he's just as hard to tackle as the Great Man, he's got Captain written all over him and along with Docherty and Weitering will form the basis of our leadership for a decade.

Clubs are too worried about athletes and not worried enough about footballers.

I've been saying this for a long, long time. Great footballers get cut regularly from TAC Cup squads because the megalomaniac coaches have the idea "They can turn any athlete into a footballer, but they cannot turn footballers into athletes."

I've called that bullsh1t long ago, most of those athletes end up like Kane Lucas at best.

I've seen kids that club coaches have described as the next Leigh Matthews or Michael Voss, only get a game or two at TAC Cup when other players are injured. Get the BOG votes in the games they play, then get cut from the squad because they are too small or because they come last in a 4k or 10k time trial. The fact they get 40 possessions and kick goals is irrelevant, it's a forking disgrace!

The problem is the coach thinking that a good footballer won't make it in AFL unless he is an Olympic class athlete, and the brain dead TAC Cup and AFL coaches who have no game plan other than to run your opponent into the ground. The problem is the coach, not the player! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Clubs are too worried about athletes and not worried enough about footballers.

Diesel Williams comes to mind LP.  ;)
If Sam Mitchell was quicker I've got no doubt that he would have gone much higher in the draft, ditto Cameron Ling.
It's probably no coincidence that those two were drafted by Hawthorn and Geelong.

Reply #26

His dash through the middle of the G in the 3rd, where he dodged two Filth players and passed it off to Murph, who in turn passed it off to Wright for a goal, was the stuff only a gun player could do.

Reply #28
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-06-22/WWL-round-12-port

Great pic of Menzel, Bell and Hendo (the latter working hard off the ball as always)!

Who was the tackler? Is he still with us?!!
I gotta say out of those three? I only miss Belly and his big body through the middle and HFF. He was a hack with his disposal at times but was a brute and could kick a goal from a long way out. He would have been nice to keep alongside Crippa and Kerro.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
I gotta say out of those three? I only miss Belly and his big body through the middle and HFF. He was a hack with his disposal at times but was a brute and could kick a goal from a long way out. He would have been nice to keep alongside Crippa and Kerro.

Agreed, he was getting better every game too - his disposal was becoming less of a liability - and he wasn't Robinson Carusoe at CFC!
Finals, then 4 in a row!