Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 32125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Women's League

Reply #60
In 2017, the AFL will subsidise each AWFL team to the tune of $1mill so you have assume that the running costs per annum are around that figure.

In 2018, where is the club going to find that extra $1mill to cover the running costs of the women's team ??

We already have a significant debt that we are working hard to eradicate (what's it now down to .... $5-6mill ??) so finding an extra million dollars to run a new venture is not going to be a walk in the park.

The $mill won't come from one large sponsorship, the season is so short that there won't be enough TV coverage to justify that sort of money. It won't come directly from dedicated women's team memberships either, they'd need just over 6500 @ $150 each to get there.

Adding $20 on to each and every full club membership (ie. all 50,000 members) would cover it but would members be prepared to pay for that (ie. no interest in the team or competition or unable to attend matches etc) ??

Also, in 2018, there will be more clubs meaning a slightly longer season and therefore additional costs of operation.

The initial euphoria of being granted a licence may make people overlook some crucial business points associated with this new venture.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #61
Just on SEN someone panning the AFL for ignoring the plight of the Lions whilst all the euphoria of the new women's league is in the spotlight. He claimed that the Lions are "being left to wither on the vine".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62

The initial euphoria of being granted a licence may make people overlook some crucial business points associated with this new venture.

There will be plenty of sponsorship, sponsorship of women is easier to tap into than getting sponsorship of men.

Marketing companies know that women control about 80% of household spending. That means they will get sponsorship from revenue streams that are not traditionally associated with mens sport. Think Tip Top, Meadow Lea, Kleenex, Coles, Aldi or Woolworths. Sounds sexist because it is, and humanity cannot do anything about the fact there are two sexes.

You won't see any mens teams sponsored by Cuddly Fabric Softener, but you will see women's teams getting access to that sort of money.

Even in markets traditionally dominated by males, look at the bulk of new car ads, they are now more likely to be a mum taking the kids to soccer than a lumberjack cutting down a defenseless tree.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
In 2017, the AFL will subsidise each AWFL team to the tune of $1mill so you have assume that the running costs per annum are around that figure.

In 2018, where is the club going to find that extra $1mill to cover the running costs of the women's team ??

We already have a significant debt that we are working hard to eradicate (what's it now down to .... $5-6mill ??) so finding an extra million dollars to run a new venture is not going to be a walk in the park.

The $mill won't come from one large sponsorship, the season is so short that there won't be enough TV coverage to justify that sort of money. It won't come directly from dedicated women's team memberships either, they'd need just over 6500 @ $150 each to get there.

Adding $20 on to each and every full club membership (ie. all 50,000 members) would cover it but would members be prepared to pay for that (ie. no interest in the team or competition or unable to attend matches etc) ??

Also, in 2018, there will be more clubs meaning a slightly longer season and therefore additional costs of operation.

You have no idea what the business case is.

You don't like the sport, that's fine. But don't justify your disdain for the sport by trying to make a business case against it when you have no idea of the facts.

Although I shouldn't be surprised.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #64
Just on SEN someone panning the AFL for ignoring the plight of the Lions whilst all the euphoria of the new women's league is in the spotlight. He claimed that the Lions are "being left to wither on the vine".

Jon Ralph.

Richmond supporter, guess which team didn't get a team in the comp?

He wouldn't have mentioned it if the Tigers had a licence.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #65
There will be plenty of sponsorship, sponsorship of women is easier to tap into than getting sponsorship of men.

Marketing companies know that women control about 80% of household spending. That means they will get sponsorship from revenue streams that are not traditionally associated with mens sport. Think Tip Top, Meadow Lea, Kleenex, Coles, Aldi or Woolworths. Sounds sexist because it is, and humanity cannot do anything about the fact there are two sexes.

You won't see any mens teams sponsored by Cuddly Fabric Softener, but you will see women's teams getting access to that sort of money.

Even in markets traditionally dominated by males, look at the bulk of new car ads, they are now more likely to be a mum taking the kids to soccer than a lumberjack cutting down a defenseless tree.

It's a six-week season, who is going to tip a bucket of cash into that ??

Reply #66
You have no idea what the business case is.

You don't like the sport, that's fine. But don't justify your disdain for the sport by trying to make a business case against it when you have no idea of the facts.

Although I shouldn't be surprised.

Given that you've offered nothing more than a petty backhander, clearly you have no idea also.

If you are content that this new venture will not be a money drain on the club when our finances are still rather shakey, then good for you.

Reply #67
It's a six-week season, who is going to tip a bucket of cash into that ??

At the moment.

A major golf tournament only goes for four days, Wimbledon only goes for two weeks, surfing just two, who'd put there money into those?

Sorry Sheik, but your arguments are sounding slightly old world like Alan Jones, Ray Hadley or John Singleton! It's 13 year old girls and social media that determine what is on TV or Youtube, which music gets streamed and what colour is the hottest fashion.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Waiting for the first female installment of Sheik's "Backed, Cracked and Sacked"...lol.

Reply #69
Given that you've offered nothing more than a petty backhander, clearly you have no idea also.

If you are content that this new venture will not be a money drain on the club when our finances are still rather shakey, then good for you.

I'm not claiming I do.

You don't like the idea of womens footy, we get it. Because you get called out for your disdainful comments on the sport you turn to a matter of which you are equally ignorant, the business case, to try and maintain some legitimacy.

Reply #70
Waiting for the first female installment of Sheik's "Backed, Cracked and Sacked"...lol.

Sounds funny and we can make some jokes about it, but that would be every bit as legitimate as the male version, and rightly so.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
At the moment.

A major golf tournament only goes for four days, Wimbledon only goes for two weeks, surfing just two, who'd put there money into those?

Sorry Sheik, but your arguments are sounding slightly old world like Alan Jones, Ray Hadley or John Singleton! It's 13 year old girls and social media that determine what is on TV or Youtube, which music gets streamed and what colour is the hottest fashion.

A major golf tournament may run for four days but it is fully televised across all four days locally as well as internationally, ditto Wimbledon. The viewing market is enormous when compared to what this womens league may have.

Reply #72

Cheeky !!!

Don't know enough about the players to put up anything remotely authorative on the matter.

** waits for some smart alec to say "well that hasn't stopped you in the past" **  :P

Reply #73
A major golf tournament may run for four days but it is fully televised across all four days locally as well as internationally, ditto Wimbledon. The viewing market is enormous when compared to what this womens league may have.

Advertising is not syndicated globally, it's sold/re-sold locally, that is why when you go to an Ad break the advertisers content is local.

The part that is syndicated globally is the right to re-broadcast, the sport or event itself. The local broadcaster must still find local advertisers and sponsorship.

I suppose I'm an oldie these days, over 50s, but I am not oblivious to how the corporate world thinks about me. They make sure we oldies perceive them as treating us with respect, but in terms of determining where they market and the directions they take, they are mostly ambivalent to our opinions. The only time they will take me seriously is if I have money to invest, and with that money I'll want them to invest in the market that offers the most growth and ROI, I want them tapping into the youth market.

Pensioners don't spend, period riddled emotionally wrecked teenage girls do! You know who taught me this, one of Australia's top retail marketing executives, a woman!

PS; It's not right, it's just reality!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
I'm not claiming I do.

You don't like the idea of womens footy, we get it. Because you get called out for your disdainful comments on the sport you turn to a matter of which you are equally ignorant, the business case, to try and maintain some legitimacy.

It's not that I don't like the idea of women's footy, I'm very sceptical about not only it's long-term viability but also us being one of the first licencees.

Why should we be part of it initially when there will be 5 new teams in 2018 ??

Surely the smarter approach would be to let another club have that spot and we can watch them all from the outside to see what errors they make plus how the clubs & league deal with the teething problems initially.

I don't believe we are in a strong enough position financially to take on such a thing just yet.