Skip to main content
Topic: Draft Order - AFLW (Read 6759 times) previous topic - next topic

Draft Order - AFLW

Here tis;

Carlton’s marquee player Bri Davey selected the ball carrying the No. 3, meaning the Blues will also have picks 14, 19, 30, 35, 46, 51, 62, 67, 78, 83, 94, 99, 110, 115, 126, 131, 142 and 147.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Draft Order - AFLW

Reply #1
Here tis;

Carlton’s marquee player Bri Davey selected the ball carrying the No. 3, meaning the Blues will also have picks 14, 19, 30, 35, 46, 51, 62, 67, 78, 83, 94, 99, 110, 115, 126, 131, 142 and 147.

Carlton's pick translates to pick #1 in the Victorian Pool of nominated players.

Essentially the Victorian Pool draft order is:

Round 1.
1. Carlton
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Collingwood
4. Melbourne

Round 2.
5. Melbourne
6. Collingwood
7. WB
8. Carlton

then back to the Round 1 order Round 3.
9. Carlton
10. WB
11. Collingwood
12. Melbourne

then back to the Round 2 order for Round 4.
13. Melbourne
14. Collingwood
15. WB
16. Carlton

etc etc etc...

Baggers with 3 picks in the top 10, lets hope SOS can do the same for the big boys...  :D

Reply #2
That's an excellent result; let's hope we make the best of it.

Wouldn't SOS love three picks in the top ten!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
That's an excellent result; let's hope we make the best of it.

Wouldn't SOS love three picks in the top ten!

Go easy we are not Hawthorn, we haven't been crying enough to warrant that sort of draft advantage.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Carlton's pick translates to pick #1 in the Victorian Pool of nominated players.

Any idea on if any of the top rated girls are putting their hat into multiple pools? Or are they all staying home state?

Reply #5
Any idea on if any of the top rated girls are putting their hat into multiple pools? Or are they all staying home state?

Kruddler,

Players could only nominate into the one state draft pool that they want to be selected from.

After the draft each team will have 22 listed players and then each club has until the late October to approach undrafted players from outside of their state draft pool and top up their list by 3 more players.

For example, Carlton can approach any undrafted players from the WA, SA, NSW & QLD draft pools.

Reply #6
Kruddler,

Players could only nominate into the one state draft pool that they want to be selected from.

After the draft each team will have 22 listed players and then each club has until the late October to approach undrafted players from outside of their state draft pool and top up their list by 3 more players.

For example, Carlton can approach any undrafted players from the WA, SA, NSW & QLD draft pools.

i thought they could nominate for any draft pool they wanted....and multiple ones if they wanted to increase the chance of getting picked up

Reply #7
Kruddler,

I thought you'd explained that before but I wasn't certain.  It seems to be a straightforward process.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
Kruddler,

They have to nominate the state in advance, they cannot change their mind after nomination and they can only nominate one state. It does not have to be the state they live in.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
They have to nominate the state in advance, they cannot change their mind after nomination and they can only nominate one state. It does not have to be the state they live in.
That is the part i was confused with.

I knew you could nominate for a state that was not your own, but i didn't know that meant you couldn't also nominate for your own state as well.

Reply #10
That is the part i was confused with.

I knew you could nominate for a state that was not your own, but i didn't know that meant you couldn't also nominate for your own state as well.

Yep, I think the AFL recognises this first draft might be a bit shallow and has given the girls the opportunity to play in a state where they can base themselves with friends or family. Keep in mind that the season is only six months, the initial wages are lowish, and the AFL and clubs cover no relocation costs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Yep, I think the AFL recognises this first draft might be a bit shallow and has given the girls the opportunity to play in a state where they can base themselves with friends or family. Keep in mind that the season is only six months, the initial wages are lowish, and the AFL and clubs cover no relocation costs.

It's only a two month season LP, and timed to ensure that it doesn't clash with other commitments players may have.

Reply #12
It's only a two month season LP, and timed to ensure that it doesn't clash with other commitments players may have.

I thought it's two months of games plus the pre-season, the contracts are six months  and then all the contracts expire.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I thought it's two months of games plus the pre-season, the contracts are six months  and then all the contracts expire.

Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar

There is your 6 month contract length.

I thought the season was 8 weeks long, starting in the new year and ending before the afl starts.

Reply #14
Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar

There is your 6 month contract length.

I thought the season was 8 weeks long, starting in the new year and ending before the afl starts.

Correct.
Pre-Season starts Nov.
Games Feb thru Mar, with current thinking the GF the week before the 2017 AFL Season.
The marquee contracts I think are 12months.

After the season ends current thinking is that the clubs will get to nominate 10-12 players to remain on their list.
The rest of players are delisted and go back into the draft pool and can be picked up by anyone in the future drafts.

ALL non-marquee players at seasons end can go back to their local clubs or club of choice.
Think the marquee players must remain in the state they have been marqueed to and play in the local comps.
Marquee players have year round AFL club committments/promo's etc... that they need to attend to as part of their contracts.