Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32206 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #180
Sorry for taking this chat off topic a little bit, but the soccer/european football supporter in me cannot help but find a sense of irony in this comment.

Particularly when all ive been hearing about was soccer being too low scoring.

Sometimes high scoring games are boring too.  One way traffic is only good for the team scoring goals.

It's a fair point, and I agree. I'm a fan of fast break footy, but excitement in sport is not reducible to simple one liners.

Reply #181
Sorry for taking this chat off topic a little bit, but the soccer/european football supporter in me cannot help but find a sense of irony in this comment.

Particularly when all ive been hearing about was soccer being too low scoring.

Sometimes high scoring games are boring too.  One way traffic is only good for the team scoring goals.

Well said, 3 Leos. Good point.

You know, we really shouldn't be having this discussion. Any forward thinking organisation, with a thorough understanding of what is realistic, would have anticipated exactly what is happening for all the reasons we've discussed and have taken appropriate action well before the first bounce rather than petulant knee jerk reactions that are just embarrassing to hear from senior AFL officials. They knew from last year what might need to be addressed. The numbskulls at the AFL thought the out-of-bounds last touch rule would be the all conquering panacea.

If you wanted to speed up the game/create higher scores for this year and the future... here's one bizarre idea out of left field... psst... ask the gals who are playing it!!!!!!!!! You would have thought this would have been initiative number 1 at the end of last season... involve the players in brainstorming some rule changes to achieve the desired outcomes.  ::)

AFL, maybe you should have looked into ground size. Maybe you should have looked into paying more frees for incorrect disposal. Maybe you should have looked further into ball size. Maybe you should have better understood kicking/handball capabilities. Maybe you should just understand it will take time. Maybe you should research how to pay the players more so they can become semi-pro at least.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #182

You know, we really shouldn't be having this discussion. Any forward thinking organisation, with a thorough understanding of what is realistic, would have anticipated exactly what is happening for all the reasons we've discussed and have taken appropriate action well before the first bounce rather than petulant knee jerk reactions that are just embarrassing to hear from senior AFL officials. They knew from last year what might need to be addressed. The numbskulls at the AFL thought the out-of-bounds last touch rule would be the all conquering panacea.

If you wanted to speed up the game/create higher scores for this year and the future... here's one bizarre idea out of left field... psst... ask the gals who are playing it!!!!!!!!! You would have thought this would have been initiative number 1 at the end of last season... involve the players in brainstorming some rule changes to achieve the desired outcomes.  ::)

AFL, maybe you should have looked into ground size. Maybe you should have looked into paying more frees for incorrect disposal. Maybe you should have looked further into ball size. Maybe you should have better understood kicking/handball capabilities. Maybe you should just understand it will take time. Maybe you should research how to pay the players more so they can become semi-pro at least.

Stop making sense Baggers!

It would be a novel approach if the AFL let women decide how women's footy is played  ::)  However, regardless of whose opinion is sought, a body of evidence needs to be brought together.  The expertise is available so why not apply it to AFLW in terms of ground size, ball size, number of players, modified rules, etc.

I heard Sam Lane on the wireless today and she was espousing a vision in which a shortened AFL season morphed into an AFLW season so that we have footy all year round.  I disagree with the shortened AFL season but her vision has merit, provided the AFL gets the AFLW right.  I think that it is showing promise, despite the AFL's best intentions, but it needs a woman's touch.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #183
Most of this complaining is related to the Gloch spending all night standing next to Maguire who was fuming at Collingwoods lack of success, and the fact they scheduled an AFLW game Live to Air against a 20/20 semi-final!

What were they thinking?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184

Spot on Baggers. My question is, did they do a debrief or lessons learnt after the season last year involving all coaches and captains? Get them all in a room for a few days and table what worked well and what didn't. Sure the AFL/AFLW cheifs did this. If they didn't, they should all be fired.
PS Garry Lyon must read your posts as he said the exact same thing this morning on SEN (ie the bit in bold).
PSS Are you Garry Lyon? ;D
PSSS Has anyone seen Garry Lyon and Baggers in the same room? ;D ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
Spot on Baggers. My question is, did they do a debrief or lessons learnt after the season last year involving all coaches and captains? Get them all in a room for a few days and table what worked well and what didn't. Sure the AFL/AFLW cheifs did this. If they didn't, they should all be fired.
PS Garry Lyon must read your posts as he said the exact same thing this morning on SEN (ie the bit in bold).

Having enjoyed a pie standing next to Baggers at a NBs' game, I'm pretty sure that he isn't Garry Lyon  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #186
Having enjoyed a pie standing next to Baggers at a NBs' game, I'm pretty sure that he isn't Garry Lyon  :)
Then Lyon reads his posts ;D ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #187
Then Lyon reads his posts ;D ;D

The mainstream media set their own agenda but what they read in social media, it's why they report so much rubbish! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #188

:)) :)) :)) during the day, I do what I do... but then of a night I put on a hair suit and fight footy injustice...  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #189
I have to agree with Bulldogs boss Peter Gordon.

The launch of AFLX during the AFLW season virtually confirms that the AFL is treating AFLW as a mickey mouse competition, and that the whole AFLW competition is just a token gesture and cheap money or kudos grab!

Is AFLW just the AFL's disingenuous grab for the LGBTIA dollar?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190
I have to agree with Bulldogs boss Peter Gordon.

The launch of AFLX during the AFLW season virtually confirms that the AFL is treating AFLW as a mickey mouse competition, and that the whole AFLW competition is just a token gesture and cheap money or kudos grab!

Is AFLW just the AFL's disingenuous grab for the LGBTIA dollar?

The AFLX basically takes place of the nab cup / challenge (practice matches)
The same practice matches that went ahead during the womens season last year.

You are jumping at shadows mate.

Reply #191
The AFLX basically takes place of the nab cup / challenge (practice matches)
The same practice matches that went ahead during the womens season last year.

You are jumping at shadows mate.

I think the NAB Cup has been replaced with practice matches, only a small number of players will participate in AFLX.

NAB Cup wasn't something new, AFLX will have a similar level of interest or appeal to the first AFLW match.

Secondly, the clubs with the licenses have poured some significant funds into the AFLW, so it's fair they ask the question because AFLX seems to undermine that investment while delivering nothing to the AFL clubs separate from the benefits to the sport as a whole.

I suppose if I assert the AFL has a money grab, then I have to accept the clubs probably do as well.
The Force Awakens!