Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #105
Those particular boys you're talking about would have as much or even more muscle definition and strength than the 18yo female. It's 's not always about weight. Female's will only kick it 60% of their male counterparts hence if they're playing on a full size ground scores will be very low. juts have to take that into account. Like female cricketers, female footballers need to play on a smaller ground if you want higher scores.

As DJC says, inside 50 is a useless stat for females, inside 25 or 30 is critical.

And yet 18yo women are far more capable of making an impact in women's tennis, as but one example, than their male peers....

if it's true most of the women can't kick straight (or hit a target) over 30m, they've totally lost me....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
And yet 18yo women are far more capable of making an impact in women's tennis, as but one example, than their male peers....

Hardly a valid comparison!  ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
It is a key point though (although it supports the opposing side in the debate)....professional women's tennis for around 50+ years...WAFL at the elite level for one.

With the fast tracking of modern training methods within 10 years or less we'll see a much superior product.

Reply #108

if it's true most of the women can't kick straight (or hit a target) over 30m, they've totally lost me....

Kicking relies more on strength. Tennis is a different skill, relies more on run and skill with the racket. Even then they don't exactly serve at 240k. Let's not compare sports. Different game so compare like for like. Women will only kick the ball about 60% of the men. On AFL grounds they'll struggle to score because of that. If you women are going to be kicking bombs from outside 50 your knowledge of anatomy and physiology is sadly lacking. Have to accept scores will be low, they might kick 40m at the absolute best, if you're going to watch the game. It's footy but it'll be a bit different.

Reply #109
I'm reminded of a conversation I heard on SEN (I think) some time back.  A caller explained that he was responsible for developing the physical exercise regime for female recruits when the Australian Army decided to allow female soldiers to join most corps and services rather than being restricted to the WRAAC and nursing.  After a couple of weeks, he realised that basing the physical exercise regime on that of male recruits was a huge mistake.  Females obviously have significantly different musculoskeletal systems to males and were being injured trying to replicate the male recruits' exercise regime.

No matter how many seasons of AFLW there may be, most female players will never be able to perform anywhere near the level of male players.  The NBL and WNBL comparisons have a much longer history and they are virtually different games.  However, I don't mind watching WNBL (perhaps because they play like I did).

Anyone who expects AFLW to be the same as AFL will be sadly disappointed.  Anyone who enjoys Australian footy, and can appreciate less power and more subtlety, will happily watch AFLW.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #110
Sorry folks, Empire's New Clothes here!  The commentators can pump it up all they like but based on the first 3 games, the skills have not improved at all.  Top 3-4 are ok to good, but the tail extends a mile.  And to think that they are adding new teams next year to dilute the standard further. 

I had hope for the concept last year, based on the fact that another preseason would hone the skills etc however based on the current structure, I give in Mo, I mean no, hope.

Reply #111
@ DJC

I agree and think you've summed up the debate nicely.
Whilst gender differences in musculoskeletal systems are significant, there are significant differences in almost every system. Hence complimenting and evolving as a species. Like I said. Apples and oranges.

Whether the sport will be sustainable in the current era is another question. One that I'm unsure of.  
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #112
From what I heard on the radio, Tayla Harris had more contested marks than Collingwood and a game high six contested possessions.

She is going to be a real asset but we need to get Sav working on her kicking  :)

It was a real mistake to appoint Casboult as her kicking coach...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #113
I'm reminded of a conversation I heard on SEN (I think) some time back.  A caller explained that he was responsible for developing the physical exercise regime for female recruits when the Australian Army decided to allow female soldiers to join most corps and services rather than being restricted to the WRAAC and nursing.  After a couple of weeks, he realised that basing the physical exercise regime on that of male recruits was a huge mistake.  Females obviously have significantly different musculoskeletal systems to males and were being injured trying to replicate the male recruits' exercise regime.

No matter how many seasons of AFLW there may be, most female players will never be able to perform anywhere near the level of male players.  The NBL and WNBL comparisons have a much longer history and they are virtually different games.  However, I don't mind watching WNBL (perhaps because they play like I did).

Anyone who expects AFLW to be the same as AFL will be sadly disappointed.  Anyone who enjoys Australian footy, and can appreciate less power and more subtlety, will happily watch AFLW.

While much of that holds true for strength and power (doubtful we'll see any 60-70 metre kicks) the skill aspect should definitely improve as years go by. Holding on to marks, disposal,skills under pressure.... all those things.

Reply #114
From what I heard on the radio, Tayla Harris had more contested marks than Collingwood and a game high six contested possessions.

She is going to be a real asset but we need to get Sav working on her kicking  :)

She just stabbed at that kick, she needs to kick through the ball, she knows how to....

Reply #115
She just stabbed at that kick, she needs to kick through the ball, she knows how to....

I think that she is fine when kicking from a fair way out - and she would have to be one of the longest kicks in the AFLW - but seems to be uncertain when kicking from closer to goal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #116
While much of that holds true for strength and power (doubtful we'll see any 60-70 metre kicks) the skill aspect should definitely improve as years go by. Holding on to marks, disposal,skills under pressure.... all those things.

I agree that skills will improve as will the ability to read the game.  That should encourage a more free-flowing, less structured gamestyle.

Kicking and handpassing will remain a point of difference and I think that much smaller hands will mean that marking and ball handling will never become as clean, even with the Size 4 footy. 

None of the above impacts on my enjoyment of women's footy  :)

Reply #117
I wonder if the AFL took the ALFW seriously enough when planning. Some humble thoughts.

1. Free entry spanks of fear that there will be little interest. Many knew it would be popular. There should be a gold coin donation as entry, which goes to a reputable breast cancer research organisation/domestic violence support organisation. A magnificent opportunity to do some real good re women's issues, missed. But it's not too late. There is a dynamic opportunity here for the league to buddy up with women's issues organisations and for the players to become mentors etc. AFL marketing dept must be one of the most unimaginative and impotent in modern business.

2. Last touch free kick (boundary line) worked a treat, eh! ::) They just don't get it, do they. The differences between male and female physiology is well said by others. But the AFL failed to take this into account. To speed up the game and get more scoring you only need to factor in the different body structures... so, tackling modifications to better suit women - for a start, no shirt-fronts, breasts don't do well with repeated blows. Like the head and genitals, harsh contact to the boozies should be penalised.

3. Get tougher on incorrect disposal. The number of free kicks that didn't happen in all 3 games was embarrassing. This should also apply in the men's competition. Look at replays of games a couple of decades ago or longer, if you were caught with the aggot whether you had prior opportunity or not, you were penalised. This will speed up both games. Once you take possesion, you'd better dispose of it by foot or handball... or else.

4. Absolutely the skills will improve in time. But it'll take some time as more funding goes to girls (up to 12 years) and teens and more teams and leagues are established.

5. Ball size is still not right. Confidence for the women / teens / girls will come when they can have more control over the ball in their hands - this will also improve skills (obviously).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118
my mates used to come and watch me play footy, and i can assure you it wasn't for the quality of the footy.  footy is way more than watching elite athletes running around.

the lady Blues go hard at it, and are playing for CFC.  that's enough for me to enjoy the game.

the players and the game will evolve over time, like everything starting out.  they simply haven't had the pathway, the development, or the number of participants required yet.  even so, i enjoy it for what it is.  they are the best women footballers in the country, and they're having a crack.

i think the AFL are being smart.  they can afford to prop up the aflw, because it will pay them back in spades.  more female participation equals more female bums on seats and more female viewers on telly, and more boys allowed to play junior footy.  it's just another aspect of the brand to me, and helps them be more inclusive.   

Go Lady Blues.

Reply #119
Good posts Baggers and Tragic.