Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32448 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #166
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/daniel-harford-says-afl-needs-to-be-careful-what-message-it-sends-over-aflw-competition/news-story/c45bfffbf4c09715587b327d8dde5c33

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/garry-lyon-takes-aim-at-the-afl-for-undermining-the-aflw/news-story/5e7a3b73e829a49287b2b39862ef629e

Good articles.

I'm still speechless that the AFL could be so stupid re scoring comments. Lyon is right... decide whether you want a ridgey didge/authentic representation of our game or a show piece. If they want a high scoring show piece, make it touch-footy style - no tackling. Can't have it both ways... sheesh, there really are some c0ckheads at the AFL.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #167
It's either a fair dinkum competition or it's entertainment.

If it's entertainment then why bother with drafts, trades and coaches, etc., etc. That would be making just a womens version of the little league!

Carlton is coping some blame in the media courtesy of Maguire's mob, but the Collingwood assistant coach has already come out and stated both clubs were to blame for defensive tactics. And that is natural given the state of player development.

As I've already stated in earlier posts, the first part of "The game" that gets better when fitness and strength are sorted is tagging and defense. Eventually the attacking players will learn to deal with tags and zones, but at the moment they have never experienced anything like it.

At the weekend Collingwoods forward moves were mindless with them often bombing the ball from the HFF instead of working their way through the zone. The only different between Carlton's zone and Collingwoods zone was that ours setup at CHB while the Collingwood zone setup across the midfield. We ended up with play mostly between the arcs.

Another part of the problem at the weekend was the slow adjudication of things like the new Last Touch Rule. I cannot see why it's isn't just played to advantage like any other free, but the dealt it out like it was a mark and forced players to go back and kick over the mark from outside the boundary preventing play on!

PS; It's moronic to think that high scoring is the only entertaining part of AFL, the pressure the girls applied last weekend compared to last season was enormous. It just goes to show you how shallow some people think, I bet some of the same people watch EPL and think it's great!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
Nice interview on the wireless  :)

The Navy groove came over loud and clear, even if tempered by the rightfully proud parent responses  :P

Thanks DJC.

Was wondering if any1 was listening.  :o

Reply #170
On Tuesday AFL chief Gillon McLachlan hinted he was concerned by Friday night’s fixture that saw neither side kick a goal in the second half.

I watched every second of the game, and thought it was a good contest that could've gone either way. It was entertaining.

I didn't even realise that nobody kicked a goal after half time until i read that just now.

Goals does not necessarily make for an entertaining game.

Reply #171
Despite it being introduced to speed up the game and create more scoring, I find the last touch rule to be more counterproductive than any defensive tactics by the teams.

While skill levels are still being honed, there is obviously going to be a lot more missed targets than usual. What I found was a team would work incredibly hard to get the ball into their forward line, only to have a missed kick result in a turnover, whereas before there would obviously be a throw in and another chance to score. I think the rule should be scrapped personally.

Reply #172
Despite it being introduced to speed up the game and create more scoring, I find the last touch rule to be more counterproductive than any defensive tactics by the teams.

While skill levels are still being honed, there is obviously going to be a lot more missed targets than usual. What I found was a team would work incredibly hard to get the ball into their forward line, only to have a missed kick result in a turnover, whereas before there would obviously be a throw in and another chance to score. I think the rule should be scrapped personally.

Only having 16 girls on the field, on what is probably bigger grounds than they are used too, is probably increasing fatigue levels too. Of course that would detract from both a highly skilled game, and a fast paced one.

The majority of the AFLs rules actually hurt the style it hopes the game will be played in. Typical.

Reply #173
Only having 16 girls on the field, on what is probably bigger grounds than they are used too, is probably increasing fatigue levels too. Of course that would detract from both a highly skilled game, and a fast paced one.

The majority of the AFLs rules actually hurt the style it hopes the game will be played in. Typical.

Spot on!

Reply #174
I watched every second of the game, and thought it was a good contest that could've gone either way. It was entertaining.

I didn't even realise that nobody kicked a goal after half time until i read that just now.

Both sides had set shots they forked up, the pressure was getting to them, jelly legs and little voices in their head.

The girls will get better the more games they play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #175
Both sides had set shots they forked up, the pressure was getting to them, jelly legs and little voices in their head.

The girls will get better the more games they play.

Of course they will.

And if there was only 10 girls on the field, the same would be true. However, what i said would be more true.

Its not just 1 thing, but you can't deny less girls+bigger grounds = greater fatigue levels = less skillful performances

Reply #176
Apparently the AFL has sent a note to all AFLW clubs asking them to play more attractive footy  ::)

Getting rid of the "last touch" rule and instructing the umpires to pay all free kicks would help.

I understand the logic behind 16 a side but, with the relatively short kicking and lack of positive handpassing, it may be contributing to fatigue and, hence, a drop off in skills later in the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #177
Apparently the AFL has sent a note to all AFLW clubs asking them to play more attractive footy  ::)

Getting rid of the "last touch" rule and instructing the umpires to pay all free kicks would help.

I understand the logic behind 16 a side but, with the relatively short kicking and lack of positive handpassing, it may be contributing to fatigue and, hence, a drop off in skills later in the game.

How's that time machine working for ya? Got the hang of it yet?
Welcome to back a page or 2. ;)

Reply #178
How's that time machine working for ya? Got the hang of it yet?
Welcome to back a page or 2. ;)

It's going in for a service Kruddler  ;)

Wasn't the earlier discussion in reference to the AFL's concerns about our tactics?  The last news bulletin on the wireless mentioned a note to ALL clubs.  That's either an escalation or an attempt to avoid the impression that we're being singled out.  The player response to the AFL's note was along the lines of playing to win regardless of the look.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #179

Sorry for taking this chat off topic a little bit, but the soccer/european football supporter in me cannot help but find a sense of irony in this comment.

Particularly when all ive been hearing about was soccer being too low scoring.

Sometimes high scoring games are boring too.  One way traffic is only good for the team scoring goals.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson