Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38457 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
Don't mind Lamb. We seemed to have found a role for him. Rowe I don't mind usually but would prefer we go with Marchbank and Weitering when they are ready again. Maybe rowe's experience with the other two might be useful for this year still but that's it. Kerridge is ok for depth but that's all as is Graham. Don't play when other's are up and going.

The only thing I got out of today's game was in the first half with the McKay, Kerr combination for the future. Poor buggers had no hope in the second half. Those two and Curnow, who can play key position, 3rd tall or even midfield, are a forward line we can base ourselves around for many years.

I agree with most of that except for Lamb, he wouldn't be getting a game anywhere but Carlton.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #31
Let’s get real

O’Shea, Garlett,  Jones, Thomas, Rowe, Mullett and Kerridge VFL at best
Kerr, Dow, McKay, SPS, OBrien wouldn’t be playing in many other teams

Probably left out a number of others, but it’s 50% of the side, so that’s the issue

Of that later lot though other clubs would snap them up fast for a high draft pick if available. Thomas has had a great year. Rowe does ok but like Levi is a fill-in while other s develop. The other's we don't need in the side.

Reply #32
Regarding injuries: I heard Oliver broke a finger last round and had surgery during the week. He was a bit quiet today - probably because of that. Just shows that sides with depth can carry a player or two. We are not one of those sides. Playing Murphy was plain stupid from where I sit.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
A few harsh on SPS. 22 possessions, was actually throwing himself into the packs, 6 tackles. A significant improvement on recent efforts IMO.......after 28 career games.

Reply #34
AFLW, VFLW, men's seniors, magoos.......................

Thematic consistency. The entire club is in a fug, and I'm wondering if anyone inside the 4 walls knows why.

Reply #35
I agree with most of that except for Lamb, he wouldn't be getting a game anywhere but Carlton.

Sometimes you get the best out of players by finding them roles that they are suited. Sydney forever makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear by doing that with ordinary players. That's what good sides do with those types.

Reply #36
Nothing positive to say after that, turned off at the start of the 3rd but it was all over long before. Pick yourselves up, dust yourselves off and train hard this week. Oh and bring your mouth guards. What I do know is that inconsistent sides like ours lose the winnable and win the losable. They are likely to drive down to KP and knock off the Cats this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
A few harsh on SPS. 22 possessions, was actually throwing himself into the packs, 6 tackles. A significant improvement on recent efforts IMO.......after 28 career games.

Ironically he did  look better today, I agree.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #38
Liam Jones can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
He is a 'chaos creator'...but  creating chaos on the backline isn't always productive.
A good game last week and he started well today with a couple of strong marks but it went downhill pretty quickly.
Not that he had much chance with the way the ball was coming in but he played well off his man again so he virtually gave himself no chance.

With Casboult out today was a day we could have used him in that second ruck position and brought Weitering in to play his role.

Reply #39
A few harsh on SPS. 22 possessions, was actually throwing himself into the packs, 6 tackles. A significant improvement on recent efforts IMO.

Agree wasnt our worst and in conditions that probably dont suit him......Nick Graham was amongst our best and clearly the sting taken out of the track suited a slower player like Graham.
We just dont have the big bodies apart from Cripps and in conditions like that especially when Gawn dominated the ruck we were going to struggle...E. Curnow was a big loss in those conditions..
Melbourne did their homework too and had some good matchups, we struggled in the coaching box and were slow to move players IMO.....
Melbourne are an ok side but not 100 points better IMO....OShea, Mullet and Rowe were woeful which didnt help either.....

Reply #40
Nothing positive to say after that, turned off at the start of the 3rd but it was all over long before. Pick yourselves up, dust yourselves off and train hard this week. Oh and bring your mouth guards. What I do know is that inconsistent sides like ours lose the winnable and win the losable. They are likely to drive down to KP and knock off the Cats this week.

GTC that last sentence shows just how vivid your imagination can be!   :))
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
Liam Jones can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
He is a 'chaos creator'...but  creating chaos on the backline isn't always productive.
A good game last week and he started well today with a couple of strong marks but it went downhill pretty quickly.
Not that he had much chance with the way the ball was coming in but he played well off his man again so he virtually gave himself no chance.

With Casboult out today was a day we could have used him in that second ruck position and brought Weitering in to play his role.

Fair point on Jones...Gawn was smashing us anyway in the ruck, Jones big athletic frame in the middle would have been more useful in the old fashioned follower role.....
The defense was horrendous as a group......Thomas was tagged and we lacked a bit of leadership with Rowe out of sorts too...

Reply #42
Used my son's MCC provisional membership to get a couple of tickets for the wife and myself to have a family day at the footy. Great idea! Ended up leaving half the way through the last. Worst performance I've seen for many years.
Just have to add worst coaching for many years as well. As one point in the game we had a 4 man forward line. I think it was when we were 6 goals down and we STILL bombed it in long. Defies logic.
9 games in and we are still playing Mullett, O'Shea, Kerriga, Graham, Garlett, SPS, Jones, PlHaven't they had enough chances?  Are the blokes running around in the two's really that bad that they can't get a gig?? Seriously?
No system, no passion, no idea.

Reply #43
We had better efficiency inside 50. 17 shots from 33 inside 50s...hahaha.

We must've missed a couple completely to get the count to 17.

Reply #44

I had him among our best, he kept grinding away when all was lost.
What I didn't like to see was Plowman run onto a ball with about 10 minutes to go then spray it wide and miss the lot under no pressure, good footballers go just as hard 10 goals up as 10 goals down.
Docherty would have nailed it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.