Skip to main content
Topic: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN (Read 9802 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN

Reply #15
Yep, that is bullcrap behaviour that has gone on too long.

Rubber bullets and tazers from now on, but only after a year or two playing without crowds to let them all cool off.

I'd also ban anyone U18 from attending games, to free up authorities to be a bit more authoritarian. I'm thinking dogs, truncheons, riot shields and the like from the good old days of the EPL!

I think either the States or the Feds should fine the FA, and I mean seriously fine them 7 or 8 figures to force them to lift their game! I write that because the problem isn't just caused by the fans, it's almost encouraged by the authorities. The bosses grin like idiots when someone asks them formally about flares or venue damage, they take it as a joke question.

The same spoilt brat fans going to or leaving games destroy station platforms, buses and trains, they cost the public more than the sport is earning locally.

Gone on too long?

How?

Ive seen more actual fisticuffs at the AFL than I have at the soccer, admittedly havent attend a soccer game in a long time and the last few I have were exhibitions for visiting teams from overseas.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
Sorry, but the exhibited behaviour is indefensible at all levels and comparing other sports to what happened isn't a sound argument.  What's with these bloody flares anyways?  Never seen one of those at the AFL.  Fancy blaming a player for what happened by pinging one back!?! There's an elephant in the room that won't be addressed - there's a section of these supporter bases that just doesn't get it. Never have, never will.   It lead to clubs getting shut down in the past and I wonder if Victory, among others, is being seriously looked at.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
Sorry, but the exhibited behaviour is indefensible at all levels and comparing other sports to what happened isn't a sound argument.  What's with these bloody flares anyways?  Never seen one of those at the AFL.  Fancy blaming a player for what happened by pinging one back!?! There's an elephant in the room that won't be addressed - there's a section of these supporter bases that just doesn't get it. Never have, never will.   It lead to clubs getting shut down in the past and I wonder if Victory, among others, is being seriously looked at.
You're right the behaviour was indefensible on every level but I will say the keeper should not have tossed the flare back into the crowd, that was pure stupidity on his part and should be sanctioned.
The players should all agree on a new rule that from now on, first sign of a flare and they run off the ground and the game is cancelled and made null and void (ie scores cancelled as the crowd could use it to an advantage). I would then reschedule the game with no crowd (competing teams to foot the bill).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
You're right the behaviour was indefensible on every level but I will say the keeper should not have tossed the flare back into the crowd, that was pure stupidity on his part and should be sanctioned.
The players should all agree on a new rule that from now on, first sign of a flare and they run off the ground and the game is cancelled and made null and void (ie scores cancelled as the crowd could use it to an advantage). I would then reschedule the game with no crowd (competing teams to foot the bill).

Tossing the flare into the crowd was foolish and dangerous.  Players should have strict instructions on what to do when flares are thrown onto the ground and tossing them back shouldn't be an option.  Leaving the field when a flare is set off may encourage the nutters to deliberately sabotage games but your suggestion is worth a try G2C.

Listening to the wireless this morning was enlightening.  Apparently, after many supporters had left, those remaining were families with young children who stayed in the hope that the game would re-commence.  It's not fair to those young soccer fans that the airheads with axes to grind spoil the game and, potentially, the competition, for them.

Surely flares can be detected during the entry security checks and action taken against the carriers.  It's an offence to discharge a distress flare inappropriately and, if it's not already, it should be an offence to be in possession of a distress flare other than for its intended purpose.  One of the problems is that distress flares have an expiry date and there's not mechanism for returning expired flares.  That means that there is an ever-increasing quantity of flares and it's inevitable that some will end up in the wrong hands.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Listening to the wireless this morning was enlightening.  Apparently, after many supporters had left, those remaining were families with young children who stayed in the hope that the game would re-commence.  It's not fair to those young soccer fans that the airheads with axes to grind spoil the game and, potentially, the competition, for them.
I agree, some of the kids might have been at their first ever game, some might have been getting an early Christmas present as a treat, and those dumb fecks rioting in the crowd stuffed it up for the kids!

in my opinion even more reason to throw the book at the rioters, and yes they were rioters plain and simple!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20

Collingwood vs Carlton Millenium match was the last time I saw a Flare at an AFL game.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-22/tempers-flare-at-the-mcg-after-collingwood-and-carlton-game/101356288

That's a recent fight between fans, that was hidden under the table.

Not deflecting anything, but flares at the soccer is a massive cultural icon globally and only in Australia does it seem to be a huge problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8Vz7Kf0hE

People are idiots everywhere.  Only the soccer gets focussed on here in this fashion.  Regarding it going on too long...  That was an assertion LP claimed like it happens frequently or all the time.  The game was homogenised in 2004 and its ended up exactly where it started.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
@Thryleon‍ you keep posting pseudo justifications because there was some dickhead somewhere else who did similar sometime ago!

If FA fans stop plastering over the bad behaviour and start to call it out, it might be a good start to stomping it out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22

The good old Ultra Extremists, not an issue.

PS: For those who do not follow, they were protesting with flares after their club was banned / fined because of the racist behaviour of the same fans at earlier games! Yeah, a happy smiley culture! ::) 
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
One flare in 22 years, yep that's a massive problem compared to flares on what, a weekly basis?

Every boat in Victoria is supposed to carry flares as part of safety equipment, they're too easy to obtain and the penalties for incorrect use too light.  You can't legislate human stupidity.

Reply #24
One flare in 22 years, yep that's a massive problem compared to flares on what, a weekly basis?

Every boat in Victoria is supposed to carry flares as part of safety equipment, they're too easy to obtain and the penalties for incorrect use too light.  You can't legislate human stupidity.
Personally, I think the flares are only the excuse, to me that rioting crew on the video looked like the were cruising for a fight. They weren't there for football, they were there to cause trouble.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
The mechanism for disposal of out of date flares is the local coast guard, or at least was when I got my boating license up there.
They are then supposed to be used for training and demonstration purposes.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #26
re flares...
You gotta be careful in what you say to crowds. If you say 'no flares allowed', its like a red rag to a bull, "oh, i should go get some flares, they can't tell me what to do!"

This is exactly what happened at the dutch F1 grand prix. The dutch wanted to bring all their orange flares to show national pride for reigning (and soon to be back to back) world champion. They were warned not to bring flares as it is a safety hazard (smoke goes on the track and drivers can't see!) but there ended up being more flares there than in the italian and german grand prixs during Schumachers successful stint at Ferrari.

So sure, come down hard on them and try and stamp it out, just be careful in HOW and WHAT you tell them, as its likely to exacerbate the situation rather than solve it.

Reply #27
Collingwood vs Carlton Millenium match was the last time I saw a Flare at an AFL game.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-22/tempers-flare-at-the-mcg-after-collingwood-and-carlton-game/101356288

That's a recent fight between fans, that was hidden under the table.

Not deflecting anything, but flares at the soccer is a massive cultural icon globally and only in Australia does it seem to be a huge problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8Vz7Kf0hE

People are idiots everywhere.  Only the soccer gets focussed on here in this fashion.  Regarding it going on too long...  That was an assertion LP claimed like it happens frequently or all the time.  The game was homogenised in 2004 and its ended up exactly where it started.

Hidden under the table? That fracas got the coverage it deserved considering it involved a couple of tossers among a crowd of 80,000 generally well-behaved and very passionate supporters.  The disgraceful scenes at the Melbourne derby involved 100s of spectators from a crowd of probably well south of 10,000. 

Throwing flares is probably the most inconsequential poor behaviour.  Invading the pitch, demolishing barriers, attempting to destroy the goals, assaulting a player, referee and cameraman and generally spoiling the game for legitimate fans is far worse.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
Yep, flares are a minor irritation c.f. invading the playing field and assaulting a player and officials. That's crossing a line that beggars belief.

Last time I was really shocked at crowd behaviour was the day the crowd wanted to take on Darren Milburn at PP...the atmosphere was like a dry field on a fire ban day while lightning cracked overhead.

Reply #29
Yep, flares are a minor irritation c.f. invading the playing field and assaulting a player and officials. That's crossing a line that beggars belief.

Last time I was really shocked at crowd behaviour was the day the crowd wanted to take on Darren Milburn at PP...the atmosphere was like a dry field on a fire ban day while lightning cracked overhead.

I'd imagine if he threw a flare into the social club a few would have jumped the fence.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!