Skip to main content
Topic: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN (Read 9605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN

Reply #30
You gotta be careful in what you say to crowds. If you say 'no flares allowed', its like a red rag to a bull, "oh, i should go get some flares, they can't tell me what to do!"
This only happens because authorities do not take it seriously.

I don't see the flares as a technical issue, but they are clearly more of a symbol, an anti-social war cry, stamp it out.

They stopped the UK crowds throwing darts, it's pretty hard to believe the authorities couldn't stop the flares if they wanted to!

Anyway, if they were smart they'd use the socials to turn it into a dumbar5e behaviour stigma, something like, have a couple of girls on an Ad asserting only blokes with little weaners play with flares!

We all know it's true anyway, "Big flare little weaner!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
One flare in 22 years, yep that's a massive problem compared to flares on what, a weekly basis?

Every boat in Victoria is supposed to carry flares as part of safety equipment, they're too easy to obtain and the penalties for incorrect use too light.  You can't legislate human stupidity.

Flares on a weekly basis where?

The soccer doesnt have flares since 2004.  Guess how many years that is?  

I think you are misinterpreting an institutional issue (3 flares in 2 weeks at 2 seperate soccer events) compared to what happens abroad.

Personally, id much rather we go back to the soccer of that time, when the game was for the people who actually cared about it, rather than trying to cater for a crowd of people who dont care about it, only for it to be branded with the same old arguments irrespective of what FFA does to homogenise the game.

Im happy that they tear themselves to shreds.  Death to the A league.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Flares on a weekly basis where?

The soccer doesnt have flares since 2004.  Guess how many years that is?  

I think you are misinterpreting an institutional issue (3 flares in 2 weeks at 2 seperate soccer events) compared to what happens abroad.

Personally, id much rather we go back to the soccer of that time, when the game was for the people who actually cared about it, rather than trying to cater for a crowd of people who dont care about it, only for it to be branded with the same old arguments irrespective of what FFA does to homogenise the game.

Im happy that they tear themselves to shreds.  Death to the A league.

Are you sure of your claim about the regularity of flares at soccer in Australia ?
You mentioned earlier that you don’t attend, nor do I, nor am I interested in the sport but my perception is that is happening multiple times a season… maybe I’m incorrect 🤷🏼‍♂️
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #33
Are you sure of your claim about the regularity of flares at soccer in Australia ?
You mentioned earlier that you don’t attend, nor do I, nor am I interested in the sport but my perception is that is happening multiple times a season… maybe I’m incorrect 🤷🏼‍♂️
Its nonsense to think it's not a regular occurrence at A League games, it is. This has nothing to do with Aussie Rules vs Soccer in my view, it's simply behaviour standards at sporting events and the A League crowds, albeit a small group of fanatical and troublesome fans, constantly find new ways to screw their sport over and bring it to new lows here in Australia. I'm not a fan of soccer but I love sport and I find their behaviour on the weekend disgusting more so in support of the die hard fans of the game. Its them I feel for at this time. I have also stated that the MC Keeper also has a lot to answer for in this. The authorities have to go hard at these kents to stamp it out once and for all. I am waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come and say these are hired guns by the AFL to help bring down the A League. That would be e great yarn.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
actually im not i haven't been a watcher of soccer since 2004 when my team was ousted from the national top flight. 

I actually hope soccer fails and on the world stage find watching Australia a very ambivalent experience thabks to football federation Australia turning their backs on the heart and soul of the sport and going with a MacDonald's version instead.

The fact that the MacDonald's version is much the same I find hilarious.

The lack of posting in this topic means its unlikely these events are frequent

Paul Hewson

Reply #35

I think that lack of posting in this topic is because;
1. there’s not a lot of interest, and
2. poor crowd behaviour (among some teams’ supporters) is commonplace.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
I just don't care about Soccer. Played it at school a few times, but really I don't watch it or care about it. Who won the world cup? I am not sure who was playing.

Reply #37
actually im not i haven't been a watcher of soccer since 2004 when my team was ousted from the national top flight. 

I actually hope soccer fails and on the world stage find watching Australia a very ambivalent experience thabks to football federation Australia turning their backs on the heart and soul of the sport and going with a MacDonald's version instead.

The fact that the MacDonald's version is much the same I find hilarious.

I don't think i have ever watched a full game of soccer that is not apart of the World Cup.....and even then, i can probably count those on my fingers, without the need to use my toes.

So, please elaborate on this variation you speak of between FFA and international stuff?

Are the rules not the same?

Reply #38
I think that lack of posting in this topic is because;
1. there’s not a lot of interest, and
2. poor crowd behaviour (among some teams’ supporters) is commonplace.
If you can get a Port Adelaide vs Collingwood match to be well behaved on a regular basis, i'm not sure why you can't get 2 soccer teams, playing in the same town no less, to get along and behave like the upright homo-sapiens they are (supposedly) representing.

Reply #39
I don't think i have ever watched a full game of soccer that is not apart of the World Cup.....and even then, i can probably count those on my fingers, without the need to use my toes.

So, please elaborate on this variation you speak of between FFA and international stuff?

Are the rules not the same?
the rules are the same.  The sport is the same the clubs in the top flight are not.

Im a south Melbourne fan.  Have been my whole life. When FFA disbanded the NSL clubs were invited for an A league licence.

They had already made up their mind about which clubs they wanted and didn't want in the top flight.

So pretend for a moment, instead of expanding the vfl, the afl disbanded the vfl, decided to restrict the offers to only a couple of clubs from each city, and irrespective of what offer Carlton put forward, a different flavour of the Melbourne demons are going to get one license.  At first they only take the one Melbourne club and all of us are frozen out, Carlton, Collingwood essendon and Geelong all out irrespective of what happens you're not getting in.

Time comes to expand the comp, and the process for applying is open to all parties its not, they bring in a hawthorn equivalent.  Then they open up to a 3rd club again, and instead of opening up the comp in earnest they go with the Werribee tigers instead.

In the meantime Carlton who were the most successful club, have been stuck in the vfl playing against the North Ballarat roosters. And Port Melbourne boroughs instead.

Oh and the A league was supposed to have a FIFA mandated second division with promotion relegation but they've strung this out a lot further down the road to ensure if and when the clubs actually get their chance to climb back up to the top flight they do so having lost an entire generation of fans, and the previous income streams that were associated with being an iconic club.  They'll get the chance one day, but by the time that rolls around they'll be the equivalent of Carlton post salary cap rorting, and I wonder where we would be today without our history, the pratts, chris Judd, and the fact that we were only stuck in football purgatory for about 8 years, and due to mismanagement found ourselves right back there 4 years later.

South Melbourne soccer club hasn't been involved in the comp since 2004.  We are almost 20 years gone.  What would that have done to Carlton? 

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
the rules are the same.  The sport is the same the clubs in the top flight are not.

Im a south Melbourne fan.  Have been my whole life. When FFA disbanded the NSL clubs were invited for an A league licence.

They had already made up their mind about which clubs they wanted and didn't want in the top flight.

So pretend for a moment, instead of expanding the vfl, the afl disbanded the vfl, decided to restrict the offers to only a couple of clubs from each city, and irrespective of what offer Carlton put forward, a different flavour of the Melbourne demons are going to get one license.  At first they only take the one Melbourne club and all of us are frozen out, Carlton, Collingwood essendon and Geelong all out irrespective of what happens you're not getting in.

Time comes to expand the comp, and the process for applying is open to all parties its not, they bring in a hawthorn equivalent.  Then they open up to a 3rd club again, and instead of opening up the comp in earnest they go with the Werribee tigers instead.

In the meantime Carlton who were the most successful club, have been stuck in the vfl playing against the North Ballarat roosters. And Port Melbourne boroughs instead.

Oh and the A league was supposed to have a FIFA mandated second division with promotion relegation but they've strung this out a lot further down the road to ensure if and when the clubs actually get their chance to climb back up to the top flight they do so having lost an entire generation of fans, and the previous income streams that were associated with being an iconic club.  They'll get the chance one day, but by the time that rolls around they'll be the equivalent of Carlton post salary cap rorting, and I wonder where we would be today without our history, the pratts, chris Judd, and the fact that we were only stuck in football purgatory for about 8 years, and due to mismanagement found ourselves right back there 4 years later.

South Melbourne soccer club hasn't been involved in the comp since 2004.  We are almost 20 years gone.  What would that have done to Carlton? 

OK, thanks for explaining.

You writing that triggered something in the back of my brain which may or may not be true.
Is it possible that the reason South Melbourne were not invited back because there was a lot of trouble with those fans?
Were they the black sheep of the group (The Port Bogan equivalents - or even Adelaide fans when they noticed a victorian license plate in the car park so they spat all over it....only to later realise it was their new coach - soon to be dual premiership winning coach - Malcolm Blight!)

I may be thinking of something else, but for some reason my brain is telling me you were not invited back because you were not welcome back because of the grief you brought.

Reply #41
It's because they were ethnic.

They were forced to chang their name from Hellas to Lakers and also banned Greek flags at the games.

Their reasoning was to be inclusive to all Australians. So they created a club that's anthem is to the tune of Scotland the Brave.

The irony is as a Scotsman I went to more South Melbourne games than Victory.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
Ethnic or otherwise, were those fans more of an issue than others?

They had rivalries with other clubs but nothing like the organised hooliganism we are seeing with the Victory.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
They had rivalries with other clubs but nothing like the organised hooliganism we are seeing with the Victory.
These f-wits are just imitating what they do in other countries, especially England. Fortunately for soccer in Australia, there are so few of them by comparison that they should be easily weeded out the problem will go away.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time