Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 28870 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #105
It seems that other clubs have gone pretty hard at our girls but we have retained 22 players from last season (possibly 23 depending on Elise O'Dea).  Three players were delisted, and we've lost four players to other clubs.  That's not good but I don't think that's as bad as it could have been.

With Cordner, Read, Finn and Fitzpatrick joining, we can add 3 or 4 delisted free agents or mature recruits in the supplementary draft.
Hopefully, there will be some talent available.

All we need now is a coach  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
It seems that other clubs have gone pretty hard at our girls but we have retained 22 players from last season (possibly 23 depending on Elise O'Dea).  Three players were delisted, and we've lost four players to other clubs.  That's not good but I don't think that's as bad as it could have been.

With Cordner, Read, Finn and Fitzpatrick joining, we can add 3 or 4 delisted free agents or mature recruits in the supplementary draft.
Hopefully, there will be some talent available.

All we need now is a coach  ::)

Of the 15 most recent signings (all announced at once) I had 7 of them already had contracts. Add in Kez and Moods who did the same and thats 9 're-signings' that were announced that were already contracted.

Look at who we lost - McEvoy, Walker, Plane and Gibbs
and the players we got - Cornder, Read and the 2 rookie irish lasses Finn and Fitzpatrick
and its clear we are worse off talent wise.....and we weren't coming from a strong base last year.

Hopefully there is a bumper crop of draftees coming through!

Reply #107
Its official O'Dea is retiring.

Reply #108
Its official O'Dea is retiring.

I suspected as much since the deadline for this stage of list lodgement had passed.

Elise was a strong body around the ground and I think we’ll miss her presence.  However, it seemed that time had caught up with her and she was struggling to match it with the youngsters.

She can be proud of her footy career and her too short time in navy blue.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
AFLW Draft has been run (and won?) and here are the 4 girls we picked up
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1299850/four-new-blues-join-a-new-era

Lulu Beatty is an 18-year-old defender who currently plays for the VFLW Blues, having previously plied her trade at the Darebin Falcons. 
Hendrie is a key position tall who has featured for the Allies, the Sydney Swans Academy and most recently the Western Bulldogs’ VFLW team, the 19-year-old displays strong overhead marking ability, allowing her to shine in a number of positions.
A mature-age signing, [Marianna] Anthony will add to the Blues’ running capacity and add some experience to a youthful outfit, having honed her craft in the VFLW competition for the Bombers in recent seasons.
[Chloe Wrigley] A 50-game player for the Peel Thunder since her debut back in 2019, the inside midfielder was drafted by Carlton with pick No.28 in the 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft.

Don't know much about them apart from what was written there but we drafted...
- A defender
- A ruck/forward
- A runner
- An inside mid.

Seems we got one of everything so should help fill some holes......we have a list resembling swiss cheese at the moment, so its not hard.

Good luck to the girls.

Reply #110
Good news with both Keeleys signed up until 2027! They are the biggest contracts we've ever given. Previous biggest allowed was only 2 year, thats 4.

Good to see we can finally start to get some long term consistency, stability and can hopefully start building a team that doesn't get poached every year.

Reply #111
Both Keeley's had superb seasons.
Looking forward to stability for the squad. It's been like a revolving door for too long.
Congratulations to Keeley and Keeley.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #112
Gab Pound signed up for 3 more. One of the few OG's left.

Reply #113
Gab Pound signed up for 3 more. One of the few OG's left.

Well-deserved!  Gab had a great season … even if I’m still a little confused by the squid fishing expedition with Jordan Boyd 🤔

Reply #114
3 girls delisted today.

Daisy Walker
Imogen Milford
Chloe Wrigley

Wrigley never got a gig.
Milford was a tall who has been replaced (and will continue to be with Celine Moody coming across)
Walker appears to be a bit stiff after 31 games, but may not have a true position anymore after being moved out of the backline.....and has some poor disposal too.

Reply #115
3 girls delisted today.

Daisy Walker
Imogen Milford
Chloe Wrigley

Wrigley never got a gig.
Milford was a tall who has been replaced (and will continue to be with Celine Moody coming across)
Walker appears to be a bit stiff after 31 games, but may not have a true position anymore after being moved out of the backline.....and has some poor disposal too.

No surprises there.

Daisy's kicking really wasn't anywhere near as good as it should be at that level and I imagine that she wasn't able to correct it.

Reply #116
Fantastic news with Brea Moody signing on until end of 2027.
Starting to lock down our future.

Moody
Skepper
Sherar

Pound
McKay

From all of that, these are the next 2 i'd want to lock in long term, then i think we've got something to work with.
Hill (2024)
Peterson (2023)

Reply #117
1. Amelia Velardo (2025)
9. Kerryn Peterson (nee Harrington) (2025)
12. Jess Good (2026)
19. Erone Fitzpatrick (2026)
22. Mia Austin (2026)
24. Brooke Vickers (2025)
49. Madeline Hendrie (2025)
Some more signings (extensions) announced today (and Kez yesterday)

Reply #118
Remaining girls signed on today and we have finalised our list. No further delistings now.