Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 28883 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #75
Mass exodus.
How do the club expect supporters to get behind this debacle,?
They won't.
Until this nonsense settles down.

There will be a core of support but nowhere near what it could be.
You can't expect support just because a team runs around in a Navy Blue Jumper.
You earn it through actions and deeds.
And step one is 'stability.'

Reply #76
Brooke Walker jumps to Bombers for Pick 9.

She hasn't lived up to the hype of late, but f*** me, we could still use her.

Talent is getting VERY THIN.

Brooke had one good season when we had a very competitive team.  I’ll be a tad annoyed if she can recapture that form.

We should be able to get a decent player with pick 9 but AFLW player musical chairs is not helping the competition.  I guess Brea and Kez’s decisions to honour their contracts are significant after all 🙄

I would be extending contract lengths to bring some stability to playing lists. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Brooke had one good season when we had a very competitive team.  I’ll be a tad annoyed if she can recapture that form.

We should be able to get a decent player with pick 9 but AFLW player musical chairs is not helping the competition.  I guess Brea and Kez’s decisions to honour their contracts are significant after all 🙄

I would be extending contract lengths to bring some stability to playing lists. 
Brooke was good when her focus was on footy. Once she (and Dalton) focussed on rugby, their form fell off a cliff.

With Moods and Kez 'staying' it shows how desperate we are for some good news stories. We could've extended them for an extra year (like we did with Hill) but for some reason we didn't.
The 3 most recent signing for 2 years are all well and good, but personally i would've only given a 2 year deal to Guerin, with the other 2 still a work in progress IMO.

Hopefully we can snag some decent players soon, otherwise we'll be fighting for a spoon.

Reply #78
As if on queue....
CARLTON will bolster its list with Irish talent in the coming days, with the Blues set to announce the signings of Erone Fitzpatrick and Dayna Finn.

As reported by womens.afl earlier this month, Finn is an accomplished Gaelic footballer and basketballer and is currently studying on a sports scholarship at Trinity College in Dublin.

Fitzpatrick is a hard running goal scorer from Laois, who was integral to her side's All Ireland Intermediate Championship victory last year.

The pair will become just the second and third Irish players to be signed by Carlton, following Joanne Doonan's time on the list in 2020.

Reply #79
https://www.womens.afl/news/118772/got-the-blues-mcevoy-s-exit-cuts-deep-amid-carlton-turmoil
IN 2020, Carlton's AFLW side qualified for a preliminary final, and were a decent chance of knocking off North Melbourne to earn a second straight Grand Final berth before the season was cancelled.

Three seasons on, just nine of the 30 players remain, while both the coach Daniel Harford and head of footy Brett Munro have been moved on after a wide-ranging external review.

Darcy Vescio, Gab Pound, Breann Moody and Nat Plane are the only inaugurals left from 2017, while Abbie McKay, Mua Laloifi, Kerryn Peterson, Brooke Walker and Serena Gibbs were also on the list in 2020.
This story is only 11 days old, and we've already lost 3 more players.

From our prelim side year of 2020, 6 from 30 are left thats only 20%
Throw in the coach and head of footy gone and i think you can officially say we are in crisis mode.

The AFL largely to blame for that with the poaching that has been allowed to go on with next to no compensation, but from our own internal review we've been asleep at the wheel too.
I think Half was unlucky to go, but i reckon he's thankful he did because we are in for a world of pain.

Reply #80
There are rumours Pound might be on the move as well.

This type of exodus is more than just a coach issue, this is a culture issue, things have started to rot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
There are rumours Pound might be on the move as well.

This type of exodus is more than just a coach issue, this is a culture issue, things have started to rot.
Started? Whatever it is has gone through the club quicker and done more damage than COVID.

Reply #82
As if on queue....

Says it all. We might sign players living in Ireland who play Gaelic. We will hit the bottom of the ladder and at this rate, struggle to rise for some time.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #83
Started? Whatever it is has gone through the club quicker and done more damage than COVID.
ahem.

Covid and covid related issues may very well be the culprit.

This might be more about the regime change too which happened just prior.

Or it might have to do with anything else that we won't mention.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
ahem.

Covid and covid related issues may very well be the culprit.

This might be more about the regime change too which happened just prior.

Or it might have to do with anything else that we won't mention.
Its because of Covid?? So Essendon and Richmond were unaffected by Covid by comparison?

Gee, Prespakis, Doonan, Walker all at Bombers.
S. Hosking, J. Hosking, Egan, C. Jones all at Tigers.

I predict more pain before we get some good news. Why the hell we haven't announced a head coach yet has me f***ed

Reply #85
Its because of Covid?? So Essendon and Richmond were unaffected by Covid by comparison?

I predict more pain before we get some good news. Why the hell we haven't announced a head coach yet has me f***ed

relationships are funny like that kruddler.

Different people went theough a different experience.  A challenge for our club (missing a grand final due to covid) i.e. the liam jones experience may be the difference.

Essendon didnt have a team and richmond were later than us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #86

Yes, it’s hard to see how COVID could have affected us and not any other AFLW teams 🙄

I suspect that we’re suffering from a combination of poor decision making by the club and even worse decision making by the AFL.

Getting a coach on board would be good start but perhaps we can’t find anyone willing to put their head on the block.  A well run program would have had several potential coaches lined up before giving Harf the ask.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #87
relationships are funny like that kruddler.

Different people went theough a different experience.  A challenge for our club (missing a grand final due to covid) i.e. the liam jones experience may be the difference.

Essendon didnt have a team and richmond were later than us.
I'm well aware of who had teams and when. What I'm missing is your point.

If youve got something to say, come out with it, don't beat around the bush.

The players with the closest relationships are ones that are lea ing the club....hosking twins and Velcro (prespakis and gee)

Reply #88
I'll have a crack at it.
Surely there's no need to "beat around the bush" in this day and age and we should be able to discuss any or all issues that may impact on player movement.
I've no idea about some of the individual relationships but...

While we hear very little about same-sex relationships in the men's game though, (I'm sure there have been some) there seems to be a number of players in the women's competition involved in same sex relationships and those folks are quite happy to share that information.
That's a positive thing and probably demonstrates that there is a more accepting attitude amongst the women.
(Strange we still have to say that)

Not all partners are playing for the same team, some partners aren't even footballers but may have careers that have them moving around.
Is it a factor in some of the movements, especially in these early days of a full number of sides?

Reply #89
I'll have a crack at it.
Surely there's no need to "beat around the bush" in this day and age and we should be able to discuss any or all issues that may impact on player movement.
I've no idea about some of the individual relationships but...

While we hear very little about same-sex relationships in the men's game though, (I'm sure there have been some) there seems to be a number of players in the women's competition involved in same sex relationships and those folks are quite happy to share that information.
That's a positive thing and probably demonstrates that there is a more accepting attitude amongst the women.
(Strange we still have to say that)

Not all partners are playing for the same team, some partners aren't even footballers but may have careers that have them moving around.
Is it a factor in some of the movements, especially in these early days of a full number of sides?

There are plenty of players that have moved clubs (leaving us) and plenty of them are gay. Plenty of them have partners already and some of them are playing at a rival club.
I'm yet to see someone move (from our club) to be with their partner elsewhere.

Look at Bri Davey as an example. She was (and may still be with) Tilly Lucas Rodd.
We were supposedly not going to renew Tillys contract and Bri Davey got the $hits up and left. There were other issues with her being promised a car she never got etc, but that was part of it.

Did they go to the same club? No.
Tilly has left clubs again since then.
Did she go to the same club? No.

Its certainly not such a large factor and can actually complicate things.

Plenty of AFL players live with opposition players and manage to make it work, so no reason why AFLW players can't do the same.

IMO its a drop in the ocean in terms of whats actually going on at the club.