Skip to main content
Topic: The rise and RISE of Marc Pittonet (Read 37605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Ruck Division .... Is It Really Competent Enough ??

Reply #240

Like I said he wouldn’t be first ruck in any of the better teams

If I had missed watching the game and then saw only the last quarter replay I would have said Pittonet did a reasonable job, due no doubt to the fact that the match had already been lost, Brisbane relaxed and just put in the effort required to win.

However, I watched the whole game and for three quarters Pittonet did not get a look in.  He was taken apart at centre bounces as McInerney gave his mids an armchair ride.

He is an honest battler but not of the standard required if we are serious about being a top eight side.

Reply #241
If I had missed watching the game and then saw only the last quarter replay I would have said Pittonet did a reasonable job, due no doubt to the fact that the match had already been lost, Brisbane relaxed and just put in the effort required to win.

However, I watched the whole game and for three quarters Pittonet did not get a look in.  He was taken apart at centre bounces as McInerney gave his mids an armchair ride.

He is an honest battler but not of the standard required if we are serious about being a top eight side.

Like the rest of our team when it mattered he was well beaten and let’s face it he wasn’t up against any ruckman of real note either.

English will rip him a new one next week and will likely drift forward and hit the scoreboard too.

Reply #242
Yep, English is the best Ruck in the comp. 
He will give Libba and Bont first use all night.

Reply #243

Pittonet vs English - Stats for year of 2023
53.7 vs 74.9 - Ruck contests (avg)
26.1 vs 29.1 - hitouts (avg)
10.1 vs 9.5 - hitouts to advantage (avg)
48.7 vs 38.9 - hitout win (%)
38.8 vs 32.6 - hitout to advantage (%)
18.9 vs 12.7 - ruck contest to advantage (%)

....and clearances for the complete Stoppage view.
1.0 vs 0.6 - Centre clearances (avg)
1.7 vs 1.9 - Stoppage clearance (avg)
2.7 vs 2.5 - Total clearance (avg)
5.1 vs 3.3 - Ruck contest to Individual clearance (%)

The blue is the true numbers for like to like comparisons that adjusts for total ruck contests.

Short version of the above is this.
English has been in 223 more ruck contests than Pittonet has this year and has just 5 more hitouts to advantage to show for it. and just 1 more clearance

Pittonet will get a hitout to advantage from (just under) 1 in 5 stoppages.
English will get a hitout to advantage from (just over) 1 in 8 stoppages
Pittonet will get his own clearance from 1 in 20 stoppages.
English from 1 in 30.

FWIW
Above average
Average
Below Average

So....
Thats not what the numbers say.

Around the ground is a different story and not as easy to compare numbers wise (due to minutes played etc)

Reply #244
53.7 vs 74.9 - Ruck contests (avg)
26.1 vs 29.1 - hitouts (avg)
10.1 vs 9.5 - hitouts to advantage (avg)
48.7 vs 38.9 - hitout win (%)
38.8 vs 32.6 - hitout to advantage (%)
18.9 vs 12.7 - ruck contest to advantage (%)

....and clearances for the complete Stoppage view.
1.0 vs 0.6 - Centre clearances (avg)
1.7 vs 1.9 - Stoppage clearance (avg)
2.7 vs 2.5 - Total clearance (avg)
5.1 vs 3.3 - Ruck contest to Individual clearance (%)

The blue is the true numbers for like to like comparisons that adjusts for total ruck contests.

Short version of the above is this.
English has been in 223 more ruck contests than Pittonet has this year and has just 5 more hitouts to advantage to show for it. and just 1 more clearance

Pittonet will get a hitout to advantage from (just under) 1 in 5 stoppages.
English will get a hitout to advantage from (just over) 1 in 8 stoppages
Pittonet will get his own clearance from 1 in 20 stoppages.
English from 1 in 30.

FWIW
Above average
Average
Below Average

So....Thats not what the numbers say.

Around the ground is a different story and not as easy to compare numbers wise (due to minutes played etc)

Dribble. English is an AA ruckman this years. Our guy is a plodder. End of story.

Reply #246
Supercoach average score

1. Tim English 130.12

20. Marc Pittonet 73.57
21. Tom De Koning 73.40

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #247
Supercoach average score

1. Tim English 130.12

20. Marc Pittonet 73.57
21. Tom De Koning 73.40

Around the ground is different, said that plenty of times.
That was not the argument.
English was the nbest ruck and giving mids first use.
That is NOT what the stats say.

But to your point....
English plays as the #1 and basically only ruck.
Pittonet has played some games as part of a ruck tandem. He's been injured in games. He's spent large parts of games on the bench as part of a ruck duo....all of this effects his supercoach scores.

This is why i highlight the ruck stats, because you can average them and it makes no difference how many games, how many rucks, how many minutes you actually play. It compares apples with apples. No other statistical analysis can be done the same way in AFL because of how the game is played.

Reply #248
Pretty tough to rebut your detailed analysis…
🙄

You gotta love how someone 'states a fact' you spend 20 minutes collating stats to disprove i t and all you get is the equivalent of trump spouting 'Fake news' because that's easier than admitting you made an incorrect statement.

Reply #249
Supercoach average score

1. Tim English 130.12

20. Marc Pittonet 73.57
21. Tom De Koning 73.40

English's weakness has always been his tap work. He has improved markedly in this area and is now a big factor in the Dogs' resurgence. But it is still not the strongest part of his game.
His strength has always been his ability to get around and get the ball. Staying on him is not an easy task.
In theory, having two rucks should make that easier, but I'm not sure we have the personnel to do something about that yet. In theory, Tom de Koning has the athleticism to do it, but he has never seemed to have the tank for it.
Tom's ruck work is also something that needs work. His ability to out-jump opponents is used so rarely that I wonder if he knows he can do it.
Mirkov would probably hold his own when it came to taps; he has the right skill set and the height to be a problem for English. But around the ground? That would not look good.
Young isn't a ruckman, but could hold his own around the ground. His fitness is an issue. He probably won't be fit to play.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #250
Dribble. English is an AA ruckman this years. Our guy is a plodder. End of story.

Pittonet vs English - STAT
83 - 85 - Ruck contests
48 - 30 - Hitouts
18 - 6 - Hitouts to advantage
22% - 7% - Ruck contest - hitout to advantage %

Pittonet was 3 times more likely to get the ball to a teammate from the ruck contest than 'AA' English that 'will give Libba and Bont first use all night'.

Pittonet also got 5 clearances to English 1.
He is dominating the ruck each week, and people still do not see it. He did all the above, and still only played 78% game time to English 86%

Reply #251
How many marks did he take?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #252
How many marks did he take?

Which is more than 9 others....(and 9 bulldogs players)
Cripps (0)
Charlie (0)
Ed (0)
Durdin (0)
Saad (0)
Young (0)
Cincotta (1)
Owies (1)
Weitering (1)
Acres (1)

and the same as these 3 (and 4 dogs players)
Acres (2)
Motlop (2)
Cottrell (2)

Reply #253
According to the AFL website, Pittonet took zero marks. Whilst I have no skin in this game, we may as well get the numbers right.

Reply #254
According to the AFL website, Pittonet took zero marks. Whilst I have no skin in this game, we may as well get the numbers right.

EDIT: I think MBB had tackles written there initially....which is what i researched.