Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108779 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #45
REALLY ugly football, salary cap concessions, dubious trades ... I just don't like them GTC and the way they've managed the system to their advantage over the years. 

Fair enough, although to be fair, they only used the system given to them by the AFL and I understand why they gave it to them (ie COLA). As for their trades, I'm sure they were ticked off by the AFL, like the Judd Visy deal was (that was as shifty as). As for the way they play, if our mob played like that for the last 10-15 years and made all the finals they did, I personally wouldn't complain. I don't mind Syd personally, love the standards they set for training and prep, all the stuff Roosy set up. Good culture. Im sure there were ratbags in amongst them, every club has them. I read somewhere than when Hannebury got to StK and saw the way they trained, he thought it was a joke compared to what he was used to.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
That explosion in Lebanon was horrific.
Currently the death toll is around 130 but you would have to think it will be many, many times that number.

Reply #47
That explosion in Lebanon was horrific.
Currently the death toll is around 130 but you would have to think it will be many, many times that number.

That was insane, some of the footage emerging is unfarkenbelievable. It must have been horrific, watching a fire one minute, showered with debris the next. My heart goes out to those poor people, incompetence by the authorities once again. Another sorry case study for future engineering students, let hope everyone learns from it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #48
That was insane, some of the footage emerging is unfarkenbelievable. It must have been horrific, watching a fire one minute, showered with debris the next. My heart goes out to those poor people, incompetence by the authorities once again. Another sorry case study for future engineering students, let hope everyone learns from it.

2.5 tonnes in the Oklahoma bombing and remember what that did.  Beirut 2,750 tonnes.

Reply #49
Heard today that there is many more times the amount in Beirut stored in Newcastle.  Not sure of its exact location in that city. ☠
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
Heard today that there is many more times the amount in Beirut stored in Newcastle.  Not sure of its exact location in that city. ☠
I'd hazard a guess (no pun intended) that the storage is heavily controlled and fortified as opposed to the ticking timebomb in Beirut
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
Hazmat is pretty strict in Australia, special licensing, heavy regulations, inspections, etc., etc.. Even so these incidents are not impossible, and it's nearly always human error, malicious intent rarely factors. At one location we keep relatively small quantities of powdered metals for 3D printing, each batch of any pyrolytic material has to be self-contained, have it's own locker in it's own explosion bay, in gas filled moisture barrier containers.

I read that in Beirut apparently someone had allowed fireworks to be stored in the same location/facility. I can't say it wouldn't happen, but it would be illegal here.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Hazmat is pretty strict in Australia, special licensing, heavy regulations, inspections, etc., etc.. Even so these incidents are not impossible, and it's nearly always human error, malicious intent rarely factors. At one location we keep relatively small quantities of powdered metals for 3D printing, each batch of any pyrolytic material has to be self-contained, have it's own locker in it's own explosion bay, in gas filled moisture barrier containers.

I read that in Beirut apparently someone had allowed fireworks to be stored in the same location/facility. I can't say it wouldn't happen, but it would be illegal here.
Not a hope in hell it would happen here.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
See today's reports, some dodgy Russian involvement seems to be a trigger in Beirut.
Yeah just read it in the Hun, I still have full confidence that something like that (ie dodgy) wouldn't happen here, not impossible but very highly unlikely IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #55
Yeah just read it in the Hun, I still have full confidence that something like that (ie dodgy) wouldn't happen here, not impossible but very highly unlikely IMO.
Who would have thought Putin would "accidentally" blow up a big exclusive chunk of of an ally like Beirut! :o

Where are those post COVID gas and oil supply lines, and who profits from ongoing disputes by selling munitions?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Someone posted that the flight from Brisbane to Darwin is a surprising 3 hrs 45 mins.  It still amazes me how big Australia is - it takes over 5 hours to get out of Australia going to Singapore from Melbourne - Brisbane is only half way to Cairns etc.  No wonder there are plenty of tourists who don't quite get how long it takes to go anywhere.  It takes about 7 hours to drive from Melbourne to the North West corner of Vic!

A mate of mine was working in London and there was a Wallbies v Scotland game in Edinburgh, so he drove up on Friday and back on Sunday.  No one believed that he went - had to produce ticket stubs as evidence - because you couldn't possibly drive that far on a weekend - admittedly it is a fair drive even for Aussies for a weekend.

Reply #57
A mate of mine was working in London and there was a Wallbies v Scotland game in Edinburgh, so he drove up on Friday and back on Sunday.  No one believed that he went - had to produce ticket stubs as evidence - because you couldn't possibly drive that far on a weekend - admittedly it is a fair drive even for Aussies for a weekend.
Yes, it's truly bizarre.

My wife travelled with me to the UK when our 1st child was born, the vast majority of her relatives are UK based so it was time for her to do the circuit of grans, aunts and cousins. I was staying in Birmingham for a convention at the BEC, Birmingham was good because it was central to her family, some in Bath/Cardiff area and others over at Ipswich. When the hire company delivered the car to the hotel, the staff couldn't believe she was going to drive all that way with a Wee Bairn all by herself just for the day. They thought she should go for at least a few days or maybe even a week. It was just 2hrs in either direction, like a circuit of Port Phillip Bay from Portsea to Geelong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
Yes, it's truly bizarre.

My wife travelled with me to the UK when our 1st child was born, the vast majority of her relatives are UK based so it was time for her to do the circuit of grans, aunts and cousins. I was staying in Birmingham for a convention at the BEC, Birmingham was good because it was central to her family, some in Bath/Cardiff area and others over at Ipswich. When the hire company delivered the car to the hotel, the staff couldn't believe she was going to drive all that way with a Wee Bairn all by herself just for the day. They thought she should go for at least a few days or maybe even a week. It was just 2hrs in either direction, like a circuit of Port Phillip Bay from Portsea to Geelong!
Italians think we are mad how far we drive to go to places. Italy is roughly the size of Victoria (sq km wise).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
Italians think we are mad how far we drive to go to places. Italy is roughly the size of Victoria (sq km wise).
Yeah, got to be very careful of those map projections.

I don't know how many times I've had work associates tell me they are going to NZ, usually to arrive in Wellington, spend the day and then drive from Wellington to Auckland leaving at the end of the next business day. On a world map or globe it looks like Melb to Albury, 3 ~ 4 hrs, but it's more like Melb to Canberra and takes about 7hrs.
The Force Awakens!